Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of installing a dashcam when mine comes - has anyone looked into this and know how easy it will be to tuck in the wires along the windscreen and down the A pillar and if there are available sockets available in the fuse box?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bit off-topic, but if new cars have all sorts of cameras why don't manufacturers use them to have an optional integrated Dashcam...

·
Registered
150 Posts
$k0d1ak said:
Bit off-topic, but if new cars have all sorts of cameras why don't manufacturers use them to have an optional integrated Dashcam...
I agree 100% , it would make sense to have the camera built into the rear view mirror

And in the boot, like there already is

·
Registered
175 Posts
$k0d1ak said:
I've been wondering this too. It would be cheep-as-chips to factory install a camera in the back of rear-view mirror, with socket for SIM card in the infotainment (Hate that word) pack.

Maybe it's a privacy/Human Rights issue somewhere in the World? Wouldn't surprise me...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Several countries on the continent have to have cameras by law. As do I believe professional drivers in America ie taxi drivers. It certainly would be a bonus over here especially with some insurance claims. I have had cameras in all of my vehicles for years and have posted "red traffic light" breakers on YouTube. I will certainly be installing a couple on my Kodiaq (when it arrives - hopefully 1st/2nd week of May).

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
meduk1 said:
Thinking of installing a dashcam when mine comes - has anyone looked into this and know how easy it will be to tuck in the wires along the windscreen and down the A pillar and if there are available sockets available in the fuse box?
I have installed my Vantrue camera into the 12v socket pro tem & will plumb it in permanently as soon as I have time, using a piggy back fuse into fuse number 40 the rear wiper fuse.
I have placed the camera to the right of the mirror and tucked to wire behind the trim along the top of the screen, down the passenger side A pillar & under the lower glove box. Best tool to use is a thick bladed flat screwdriver. It will then be a simple job of installing it permanently as long as I can get at the star drive bolt by the fuse box, enough to get a connector under it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh excellent, good to know you can hide the wire in the trim. How did you get on with the A pillar? Is the wire fully concealed or does it loop round? Any chance of a few pics.

Let me know how you get on with the fuse wireup and which fuse you chose. It will be a good few months until I get my car but gives me plenty of time to work out the best approach.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
I have installed my Vantrue camera into the 12v socket pro tem & will plumb it in permanently as soon as I have time, using a piggy back fuse into fuse number 40 the rear wiper fuse.
I have placed the camera to the right of the mirror and tucked to wire behind the trim along the top of the screen, down the passenger side A pillar & under the lower glove box. Best tool to use is a thick bladed flat screwdriver. It will then be a simple job of installing it permanently as long as I can get at the star drive bolt by the fuse box, enough to get a connector under it.
Good luck.
Had a quick look behind the glove box over the weekend to see about fitting a fused supply but couldn't find an earth point.
Where is the star drive bolt located that you mention? Looked straightforward apart from this bit!

Bit of a faff dropping the glove box as well actually. Was worried about scratching/breaking something :?

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have installed mine and hooked up to the fuse board. Used the bolt to the left of the fuse board behind end trim panel as ground. This can be removed with socket or torq but. Just make sure your route the cable the top side of the air bag curtain but this is the most awkward part. Mine is all hidden apart from where the cable comes out by the mirror

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
If you drop the glove box lid, look low left and you should see a silvery coloured star drive bolt below the fuses (I think!-I haven't been in there for 2 weeks)

The perceived problem is access for a star drive bit. I think the bottom of the glove box lid is in the way. An ordinary hex headed bolt would have been seemples. I shall have to investigate further. If you manage before i do please describe what you did here.
thanks & good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Drew said:
I have installed mine and hooked up to the fuse board. Used the bolt to the left of the fuse board behind end trim panel as ground. This can be removed with socket or torq but. Just make sure your route the cable the top side of the air bag curtain but this is the most awkward part. Mine is all hidden apart from where the cable comes out by the mirror
Did the end panel just prize off as it does with Yetis? I was scared of wrecking any part of my shiny new toy ;) So chickened out trying it.
thanks,
C

·
Registered
503 Posts
It looks like it (side panel) will come off the same as on my Octy, with some trim removal tools. Only thing that worries me is the airbag switch is on it !
You could use something else, but a set of BOJO's are not terribly expensive and very handy :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
End panel comes off like in Octavia but you have to let it hang there due to the airbag switch. I did the sameness in my scout

·
Registered
314 Posts
meduk1 said:
Oh excellent, good to know you can hide the wire in the trim. How did you get on with the A pillar? Is the wire fully concealed or does it loop round? Any chance of a few pics.

Let me know how you get on with the fuse wireup and which fuse you chose. It will be a good few months until I get my car but gives me plenty of time to work out the best approach.
I have fitted several and there really is no need to be able to any of the cable (apart from the last inch or two where it goes into the camera)

I know it's not a Kodiaq (it's a Superb) but the end result is the same:

I removed the plastic trim that covers the rain sensor and Škoda fitted camera, cut a notch for the cable to pass through and ran as much of the cable as possible behind the trim.

No point in showing you a close up photo of the A pillar trim as there is no cable to see!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well TBH I am struggling to place mine in a location I am happy with, even though its a small camera (mini 805).
The thing is I like a discrete location, hard to see from the outside and not blindingly obvious from the inside.
On the Octavia, I had it mounted on the camera housing and hidden behind the mirror:

But on the Kodiaq, there the housing is a lot smaller and pretty much excludes that option.
What camera do you have on the Superb Gizmo68 ? That looks smaller and more discrete than the mini 805

The other issue is the little dampening lever on the Kodiaq's glove box, is on the side of the centre console, making it a trickier proposition for those of us with large hands !

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine is a Thinkware F750, but I have the rear cameras in the windscreen as the front one was too big IMO.

Not sure I would buy it again though, the video quality is nowhere near as good as my BlackVues.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have them on both of my cars... not expensive ones but good quality. The one in the mini is hidden behind the rear mirror the Toyota one is hard to hide, it's a bit annoying but I'm use to it by now.
I tuck all the cables behind the plastics and under the mats. However I have considered getting one professionally wired in to the Kodiaq, I know the skoda dealer have them for sale. I love to be able to buy one as an option. I'm sure it would be too expensive,

I currently have an Eprance (not a fake one) this camera with fittings was £30 all in... for what it cost it's superb value for money on EBay.
This footage was taken in low light and proves to me how valuable having one is. The lady's husband is a barrister and tried to accuse me of driving into the back of his wife saying it was totally my fault.. thankfully the fottage proved him wrong!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Stupid 'lady dog'! Just proves the worth of a dashcam! Well done!
Note to self. Get Vantrue wired in !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts