Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered mine a few weeks ago - to be built week 22 I'm told, but not counting my chickens after reading on here....

Petrol blue 2.0 petrol Edition, flappy paddles, heated screen and washer nozzles, front parking beepers, mats, fatigue alert and a bin!

My salesman told me that 85% of all Skodas ordered since November have been petrol. Before then I'd probably have gone for a diesel, but now they seem the devils motor.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've gone diesel again, I've had a Fabia and 2 Octavia diesel

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having been hit once by diesel tax, had a sedona 2006 tax was cheap then amazingly jumped to 450 quid and to.make matters worse with only 50k miles on clock car was broken 21k spent sold 4 years later for 1400 quid yes 1400 worst car we have bought! We originally got the Kodiaq 2ltr diesel but changed at last minute when got a whiff government are going to start to faze them out because of emissions plus tax rises again.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I do hope for all you 'Oily' buyers that they are wrong, but 21 years in Shell Automotive fuels and Lubricants makes me think otherwise.
Also it is the considered opinion in the oil industry that electric propulsion is only a (medium term) solution. Hydrogen is the future of transport. As soon as an oil company grasps the nettle and puts hydrogen pumps on filling stations everything else will fall by the wayside. Not in my lifetime though I don't think.
Shell has opened the first hydrogen refuelling point at the Cobham services on the M25.
If you are going to keep your oil burners until they die then residuals won't concern you, only any hikes in fuel tax.
Personally I would not touch diesel. Not that I don't like it, I have had about 7 diesel cars out of the 75 cars I have owned.
BUT! I tend to change cars every 12-18 months and so I cannot risk an even bigger hit on residuals by the fear regarding diesel.
Also, with the ever increasing efficiency of petrol engines the difference in consumption is minimal. My 1.2 DSG Yeti does slightly MORE to the gallon than the higher powered diesel equivalents and of course derv is more expensive in the first place.
I must make two caveats though..
1. I only do 6-7K miles a year and
2. I do not have a need to tow.
So 'you pays your munny & you makes your choice' as they say. ;)

Is it 'RIP diesel'? As the crackdown on pollutants continues, RAY MASSEY weighs up the fuel's future
By RAY MASSEY FOR THE DAILY MAIL
PUBLISHED: 21:50, 24 March 2017 | UPDATED: 10:48, 27 March 2017

Diesel cars are a toxic hot topic, causing concern and confusion among millions of drivers who own one.

The arguments have left many motorists confused and the Volkswagen 'dieselgate' emissions scandal has added to the controversy.

Nearly 1.3 million diesel cars were sold in Britain last year - 48 per cent of total sales. But that has dropped.

Air quality: In pollution tests, Jeep's Grand Cherokee fared poorly. Diesel emissions are linked to health problems such as asthma, heart and lung diseases and premature births
+2
Air quality: In pollution tests, Jeep's Grand Cherokee fared poorly. Diesel emissions are linked to health problems such as asthma, heart and lung diseases and premature births

In recent weeks:

Academics, environmentalists and doctors have demanded diesels be taken off the road.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan has announced a £10 per day 'toxicity tax' - on top of the congestion charge - for diesel cars that are more than a decade old, taking the total to £21.50.
Drivers in Westminster face a 50 per cent diesel surcharge for on-street parking, while Liverpool hopes to ban diesel cars.
The Chancellor Philip Hammond will 'explore the appropriate tax treatment for diesels' ahead of his autumn Budget.
RELATED ARTICLES
Previous
Next

The petrol price war is on: Good news for motorists as...

A third of car buyers are mis-sold finance, but now there's...

The modified cars that keep their value: Overfinch's Range...

Punishing times for drivers: Cost of motoring has soared by...
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
30 shares
So is it 'RIP diesel'? Not yet, says the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), which has warned against the 'anti-diesel agenda'.

ALDI'S NEW BIKER RANGE FOR WOMEN

Women bikers on a budget take note.

Aldi will launch its first women's motorcycling clothing range on March 30.

It includes a safety certified jacket made from a high-tech protective fabric (£89.99), matching waterproof trousers with a connecting zip and breathable fabric (£69.99) and a 100 per cent merino wool top (£24.99), which helps to regulate your body temperature.

So how did we get here and how will it end? Invented by German engineer Rudolf Diesel in 1892, for years, it was an economical workhorse fuel.

By the Nineties, it was encouraged because it produces about 15 per cent lower levels of carbon dioxide - blamed for global warming - than petrol.

Duty on low-sulphur diesel was cut to encourage greater take- up. But there was a fatal flaw.

Older diesel engines - and even some newer ones - spew out a lot more nitrogen oxide, nitrogen dioxide and pollutant particles than petrol engines.

These are linked to health problems such as asthma, heart and lung diseases and premature births.

Many drivers now feel rightly duped. The testing regime is inadequate and will be replaced in September.

Independent tests show wide variations, with the worst performing modern diesel more than 20 times over the nitrogen dioxide limit when tested in real world, on-road driving.

Consumer watchdog Which? analysed 278 diesel cars between 2012 and 2016.

Renault and Jeep were among the biggest air polluters; BMW and Mini were among the best.

If you're driving to France this summer, don't fall foul of new environmental rules.

If you don't display an anti- pollution sticker, costing about £4, you could be hit.

Driving into Paris, Lyon and Grenoble without one will land you a £117 fine.

Buy from the website certificat-air.gouv.fr. It says stickers should be delivered within 30 days, but the RAC reports one took six weeks to arrive.

London black cabs go full circle
Shocker: Ray Massey with one of the new hybrid-electric TX5 black cabs
+2
Shocker: Ray Massey with one of the new hybrid-electric TX5 black cabs

Even the traditional London taxi is waving goodbye to diesel and replacing it with a hybrid-electric TX5 version.

I attended the opening of the new high-tech £325 million London Taxi Company factory at Ansty, near Coventry, this week.

Business Secretary Greg Clark, who helped chairman Li Shufu, of parent company Geely, cut the ribbon, said: 'We are on the brink of a road revolution. If people see black cabs go green, they will know all cars can.'

Much of the green technology, including the battery and engine, is from Volvo, also Geely owned.

From next January, all new cabs in London must be pollution-free. By 2020, half the 22,500 black cabs will be electric.

The first purpose-built London cabs in 1897 were electric - it's gone full circle.

·
Registered
314 Posts
For me there really is only choice for fuel as I do 20K PA , petrol does not cut it for high mileage users, EU6 engines will not be banned from city centres ... the 'air' that comes out of the exhaust of a EU6 DPF & adblue Engine is supposedly cleaner than what goes into it!

Do I believe that? Nope, just like I don't believe a petrol engine in a big SUV is great news for the environment either (let's be 100% honest here how many of us REALLY need a car as big as a Kodiaq anyway)

That said SWMBO will be the main driver of the Kodiaq and it will do about 12K PA, so we will certainly test drive them both.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Well if we are being honest I don't. What I really need is a Yeti with a boot twice the size for the dogs. But there is no such thing as far as I can see I don't know about PSA models , but I would not have either as a present.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts