Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 Edition 4x4 5DR DSG (7 seat) Metalic Blue Beige Leather
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kodiaq was registered new in March 2018. I purchased it in August 2020 with 18K on the clock. It now has 26K. I used the car to go to Spain last winter for 4 months and this year visited the Pyrenees for 1 month. In between times it is rarely used.

A problem with starting the vehicle has slowly got worse over the past 8 months. I had to push the start button a number of times to get it to fire up and sometimes the same to stop the engine. It is now proving almost impossible to start the car. Sometimes the ignition will come on then I have to try many tines to turn it off.

I have had for many months a dashboard warning sign come on regularly saying the batteries need replacing in the key fobs. I replaced them yesterday but it didn't help a lot. When the car does fire up it starts immediately so it seems the engine battery is OK. I have also had for many months a warning sign that a service is due.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am not as young as I used to be and certainly not a technical person. I'm hoping my car details come up under my name when I post this message.

Perhaps I should have stuck to my Mitsubishi L200. Much simpler.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Someone better qualified than me will hopefully be along with an answer, but I seem to remember this problem happening before.
There were problems with Moll batteries in the early days of the Kodiaq and they were replaced under guarantee. I doubt this is your problem, I just mention it for info purposes.
However, I think in the case I saw, the ignition button was replaced, which cured the problem if I remember correctly.

I have to ask; If your service light has been on for months, why haven't you had the car serviced ?
If you have had it serviced and the light remains on, see the following Youtube link which tells how to get rid of it.

·
Registered
2018 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 Edition 4x4 5DR DSG (7 seat) Metalic Blue Beige Leather
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone better qualified than me will hopefully be along with an answer, but I seem to remember this problem happening before.
There were problems with Moll batteries in the early days of the Kodiaq and they were replaced under guarantee. I doubt this is your problem, I just mention it for info purposes.
However, I think in the case I saw, the ignition button was replaced, which cured the problem if I remember correctly.

I have to ask; If your service light has been on for months, why haven't you had the car serviced ?
If you have had it serviced and the light remains on, see the following Youtube link which tells how to get rid of it.
Thank you for your reply.
This morning the car started first time. Perhaps it was because I replaced both key fob batteries and it needed time to sort itself out. However, during the morning I tried a number of times to start and stop the engine as well as switching on just the ignition. It's still playing up. But if I persevere It does start and stop. I wondered if it was a faulty start/stop as sometimes I press the top edge and it works.

I do not have a service light on its just says, when I turn on the ignition, that a service is due. I rang Skoda Yeovil maybe 6 months ago and queried it. After looking into the history and my low milage I was told it was ok to run the car for 24 months between services. It is now booked in beginning of December for the service.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I do not have a service light on its just says, when I turn on the ignition, that a service is due. I rang Skoda Yeovil maybe 6 months ago and queried it. After looking into the history and my low milage I was told it was ok to run the car for 24 months between services. It is now booked in beginning of December for the service.
It depends on which service schedule your car was placed on when new. My understanding is that there's an option of either the variable servicing where the car will tell you when a service is due based on how you're driving (approx 18-20k miles normally) or else every 24 months, or it's on a fixed service schedule of every 10k miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. I believe all cars come out of the factory set on the variable servicing but some customers might wish/choose to change to the fixed servicing in the belief that the engine will last longer and perform better if the oil is changed at least every 10k miles or 12 months.

Sadly my car was set (by the dealer who sold it) to the fixed servicing, which I believe is something the dealer has to actually change as part of the PDI. This wasn't my choice, I only found out some time after. I think you can change back to the variable servicing schedule at a later date if you want, but think the dealer needs to change some setting through the OBDII port - probably something you could do yourself if you have access to a VCDS or get an independent garage to do. That way the car will tell you the appropriate time for a service based on the variable servicing and not either 10k miles or 12 months.

On that basis, Yeovil Skoda are correct, you can go 24 months between services, however it's probably worth getting them to check which schedule your car is on and if it's the fixed schedule, get them to change it to the variable one. I think the variable does depend on always using the correct synthetic oil, so if it's ever been serviced outside of a main Skoda dealer then they might not be so keen as the quality of oil used would be unknown.

Hope that all helps!

(BTW, I also use Yeovil Skoda and haven't had an issue with them - they're selling me my next car, although my current one was from Weston-Super-Mare Skoda, now also part of the Heritage Group, but previously part of Blade Group when I bought my current car).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you sure it’s not the starter switch on the steering column. Mine failed and was replaced under warranty
Had the same experience, I had to press button couple of times before engine started.
As Davevx stated, mine got replaced under the warranty by Skoda dealer before it failed permanently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The matter has been resolved. It was the start/stop button. However, there's a bit of a story here. A week or so ago I contacted Yeovil Skoda regarding the MOT which was due this coming Friday. No way I was told we're all booked up for at least a couple of weeks. At the same time I attempted to book the car in for a service. I needed a collection/delivery service as well. Can't do it for 6 weeks I was told so booked it for the 8th December. During my conversation with the service department I told them I was having a problem starting the car and mentioned I was getting the message that the key fob battery was low. Yes that could be the problem with it not starting I was told.

I had to do something so contacted the small garage that looks after my wife's car. I must admit I wasn't sure they were geared up for this sort of thing but I had to have something done as 2 things were imminent. One was the MOT and two was my sons wedding next Monday when the car was needed to ferry the bride to the registry office.

I rang the garage on Saturday morning to be told they had spent over £10k on diagnostic equipment and had a computer wizz kid who almost certainly would get to the bottom of the problem. I rang the garage again at 0930hrs on the Monday morning to confirm I had managed to start the car. I was asked to take it to their workshop, about 13 miles away, and leave it with them. The boss then ran me back home whilst the wizz kid hooked up the equipment.

At 0900hrs on Tuesday morning the boss rang me to say the stop/start button was faulty and that the wizz kid had dissembled it, cleaned up a couple of dodgy contacts and reassembled it. It was now working perfectly. At the same time he sorted out some other small problems whilst he had the car hooked up to the diagnostic equipment. 'Oh, and by the way I took your car to another local garage for its MOT as I don't do them myself' he said. By 1000hrs he had delivered the car to my home and presented me with his invoice for £217 which included the MOT and VAT. He also presented me with the 17 page diagnostic printout. Thought you might be interested he said.

Just over 24hrs with that level of service. You'll be seeing me again I told them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Good result all round then! Out of interest, which garage was it? One in Yeovil?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Excellent result, it's always gratifying to find a small, efficient garage that can get the job done.
Now the car is over 3 years old, there's no need to take it to a main dealer for service, unless you want main dealer stamps in your service book (metaphorically speaking as there's no service book now) come resale time. You can also have cheaper after market parts used when they need replacing, but of course, if you're forced to take the car to the main dealer for any reason in the future, you're unlikely to get any goodwill gestures from them if genuine parts haven't been used.
You also won't get any updates done to your car if you take it to an independent.
Your car, your choice though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts