Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've taken delivery of a Kodiaq with manual box and electric handbrake which is taking some getting used to.

Normally if I come to a junction on a hill and think I will just be a moment, I crawl to a stop and hold on the biting point ready to go again.

If it turns out I will be waiting longer than I thought, with a manual hand brake I would pull the hand brake on and dip the clutch, but it does not appear I can do that with the electric brake.

I think it's because it releases when you bring the clutch to biting point, and because I am already there it won't hold if I pull the button and dip the clutch. Best I can do is take my foot off the accelerator and very quickly dab the foot brake so the parking brake engages but it's not an ideal technique.

Am I missing something or is there no way to replicate how I am used to driving with a manual hand brake?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but pretty sure that the manual Kodiaq has a hill hold function? It's certainly included in the list of standard equipment now, but suppose that's no guarantee it's always been there.

To get it to work, you do need to apply the foot brake to activate it and it will only come on when the speed is 0mph, however once it's on (and you'll have the clutch pedal pressed at this point or else you'll be moving) then the system will keep the brake on even if you release the foot brake. AFAIK it works whether you're pointing uphill or downhill and will hold the brake indefinitely. If you're going to be stationary for a while then you can knock the 'box into neutral and release the clutch and the car will keep the brake on for you. If you're going to get moving again fairly soon then you do need to keep the clutch pressed if you're staying in gear.

From there, select first gear and just drive away, no need for you to release the brake using the switch - the hill hold will automatically release the brake for you once you apply some torque using the clutch.

This is how my old Audi A5 worked, which had a manual 'box and hill hold assist (it was an option back in those days!). It was the first car I owned that had an electric hand brake but in reality you never use the switch for the handbrake as the system will apply it for you automatically if you either switch the ignition off, release the driver's seatbelt (when stopped and the auto handbrake has come on) or open the driver's door.

Best advice is to find a quiet bit of sloping car park and try it in various configurations - uphill, downhill, etc. and learn how it works.

Other manufacturers have subtly different systems. I had a Vauxhall hire car that had a hill hold system that had a maximum 15 seconds that it would hold for and would then just release the brake. Really dangerous if you're waiting at a junction pointing downhill and the brake just releases unexpectedly and you'd roll into the road ahead! My wife's C Class (automatic) only works if you're pointing uphill, not downhill and it catches me out every time I drive her car as I expect it to hold when I release the brake when pointing downhill, but her car will then roll forward. And my previous LR Disco Sport would hold the brake indefinitely pointing uphill but only for about 5 seconds when pointing downhill - never understood why they engineered it to be like that.

Reactions: Avocet

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ours is a DSG auto, so the controls might not quite be in the same place or work in the same way, but "electric parking brake" and "hill hold" are two separate systems. "Hill hold" (Skoda call it "Auto hold"), is engaged by pressing the appropriate button (ours is down just behind the gear lever and is a capital letter A in a circle with a couple of curved lines outside the circle). When illuminated, the system is active.

When you come to a stop, the ABS pump just maintains the footbrake pressure that you applied to come to a stop - even if your foot is then taken off the brake pedal. As soon as the car senses the clutch being released and the engine revs increasing, it will release the pressure in the braking system. The electronic parking brake is not involved in this operation at all.

Auto-hold will work for several minutes. After that, the car will automatically apply the electronic parking brakes and then release the pressure in the footbrake system. As far as the driver is concerned, the effect is the same. The car will stay still on the slope either way, and when the clutch comes up, the electronic parking brake will release itself automatically too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Mine's a DSG auto as well and you are of course correct in the way that it works, but really it's just semantics as to how it holds the car still and whether it's just pressure held by the ABS pump or application of the parking brake - the effect is the same in that the car will do it automatically with no need to pull/push the parking brake button when you stop or want to pull away. Whenever the brake is being automatically held you can take you foot off the brake and the car will not roll either up or down hill. If you want to release the brake and roll forward down a hill without engaging the clutch, then 'tapping' the accelerator with your foot will release the brake in a DSG car and you will roll forward if pointing downhill - not sure whether this works in a manual.

Also the system is called Hill Hold Control in Skoda-speak, not "Auto hold" - see the standard spec list from the base 5 seat SE on the current configurator (below).

The system on the Kodiaq will also stay on when you stop the car, so there should be no need to press the button each time you start, unlike my old manual Audi A5 which would default to the system being off each time you stopped the engine and you had to press the button (with the A in a circle and two curved lines as you describe) each time you started the engine again. A bit annoying, but you get into the habit, just like releasing a manual handbrake becomes a habit if you ever drive a car with an old-school mechanical hand brake.

Car Vehicle Product Gear shift Satellite radio

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, I just tend to call it "hill hold" because that's just a generic term throughout the industry for that kind of feature. A bit like Electronic Stability Control, each manufacturer has his own name for it to make people think it's "different". Never had a car where you have to enable it each time you get in though - that must be an incredible pain - bordering on downright dangerous, I'd have thought?

I'd disagree on the difference being merely "semantics". The parking brake only works on the rear wheels, "hill hold" works on all of them. Also the hill hold works instantly, whereas the EPB has a response time while the actuators wind the clamping force on to the pads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I
Also the system is called Hill Hold Control in Skoda-speak, not "Auto hold" - see the standard spec list from the base 5 seat SE on the current configurator (below).
It is referred to a Auto Hold in the manual, even if not in the sales brochure:
Wheel Motor vehicle Newspaper Automotive tire Font

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's interesting, I'm wondering if my system is working properly. Where it says ' not necessary to apply the foot brake' suggests the car knows to hold itself without driver input.

I have to press the brake pedal, resulting in the green P lighting up, otherwise it rolls. That sounds like it is the parking brake, not the auto hold.

Going back to my original problem, on hills I have to make sure I have pressed the brake hard enough to light up the green P, then make sure I put enough revs on before lifting the clutch, otherwise the second the clutch starts to come up, the brake lets go. It's difficult to be smooth in traffic on a hill, and I can't just creep to a stop, it has to be an emphatic stop with a press of the brake.

The A button is illuminated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's interesting, I'm wondering if my system is working properly. Where it says ' not necessary to apply the foot brake' suggests the car knows to hold itself without driver input.

I have to press the brake pedal, resulting in the green P lighting up, otherwise it rolls. That sounds like it is the parking brake, not the auto hold.

Going back to my original problem, on hills I have to make sure I have pressed the brake hard enough to light up the green P, then make sure I put enough revs on before lifting the clutch, otherwise the second the clutch starts to come up, the brake lets go. It's difficult to be smooth in traffic on a hill, and I can't just creep to a stop, it has to be an emphatic stop with a press of the brake.

The A button is illuminated.
where does it say ‘not necessary to apply the foot brake’? If you’re referring to the manual screenshot above, I would read the words secure with as meaning hold down after the green P lights up.

I have a DSG, so I can’t really comment on the clutch response.

the green P shows that the system is engaged as the parking brake gives a red P.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts