Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are expecting to take delivery of our Kodiaq this Saturday.

We ordered on the official Launch day in Australia, which was the 3rd June. Were originally given indications of up to a 4-5month wait, but luckily they found our chosen spec already on a boat on its way. Boat arrived in oz about 10 days ago, and i have been notified it has been through compliance/customs and got to skoda's holding yard late last week.

Yesterday, my wife had her first sighting of a local kodiaq on the road (other than test driven ones). given that the boat load arrived recently, we should start seeing a lot more of them here this month.

Australian spec cars are currently limited to one model: 132tsi 2.0T petrol with 4wd, DSG, 7 seats. It comes standard with alcantara seats, 8" infotainment with GPS, 19" triglavs.

We have chosen Quartz grey, and have optioned it with:
1. "tech pack" - adjustable suspension, auto parking, foot operated boot, + a few others
2. "luxury pack" - electric memory heated ventilated leather seat (we chose dark grey), lane assist, traffic jam assist, blind spot monitoring, 3 zone AC, ..

Other than the sunroof, this car is about as optioned up as it can currently get in OZ. We didn't get the sunroof because I plan to often use roof racks (noisy with sunroof open), and i've heard some stories about creaky panoramic sunroofs on VAG cars.

Was also ordered the anthracite triglavs. We will end up with a spare set of silver triglavs, which i will look into selling (we don't have a need for winter set of tyres).

I have been looking at roof racks, and usually lean towards thule. Currently thule seems to spec the universal fitting feet for the kodiaq. Dunno if they will update this soon for something a little less bulky. Will wait a little while to see if this changes. I usually carry bikes on the roof (but given i have had a few mishaps, i am looking into hitch mount too), and also have a roof pod for longer trips (480L thule altantis 780).

I am looking into getting a towbar. It will be for the occasional small trailer (e.g. a bit a landscaping around the house, or run to the dump), and I am also gonna look into the hitch mounted bike carriers. The euro spec electric towbar is very unlikely to get approved here. The dealer says they still don't have approval for a towbar yet. Not sure what style it will be.

i currently have a current model Passat alltrack (140kw Tdi), so my impressions will be compared to that. While I liked the diesel, a petrol engine is probably more suited to us, as we mostly do short trips around the city.

i really like the alltrack. we are changing cars as the wife much prefers the elevated driving position of a SUV, and the alltrack, while (slightly) elevated, didn't quite cut it. we also need the 7 seater, as we have two very small kids (eldest turned 2 a couple months ago), and the wife is quite uncomfortable squeezing between the kid's car seats in the alltrack when we drive her elderly father around.

i'll post some pics when we get it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered mine at the end of the 1st week after launch but have been told it will not be in until late September or earlier October as the config i wanted was not on the boat that was due (the same as yours but in lava blue and the standard triglavs). Fortunately this works out well with the timing of my current lease but i am already wanting it sooner ..... i too have not seen any on the roads ... but for that matter, i have only seen a handful of other Skoda models on the roads in the month or so since placing the order.

·
Registered
132 Posts
At last someone else from Oz. I was beginning to think I was the only one here. Have had mine for 2 1/2 weeks. You will love it. Same options as you. Moon White, Luxury and Tech Pack.
Ordered mine 2 May. Sight unseen and have not seen one on the road anywhere yet. Have had plenty of other SUV drivers come close to read the type of Skoda in front of them. When I put the KODIAC plates on they won't have to drive up so close.
It's about to get more populated with Kodiaqs here I expect.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
G'day cobbers. Welcome all to the forum. Enjoy your bears when you get them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i wonder how many have been sold in Australia? - everyone i have talked to about my upcoming new car are all interested in seeing it and seeing how it goes ... might be able to "convert" a few more to the Skoda way .... lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi....here from Perth WA...
I got the same configuration here in Perth but with the sunroof...in Brilliant SIlver...the only color with the specs that I want :D
Just done about 200km...so far very impressed with its technology...ACC/LED Lamps/PERSONALISATION....etc. On the drive, pick-up is good and very quiet cabin, first time driving an SUV the felling is still very different.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one. A fully loaded Kodiaq. Have you seen any other kodiaqs on the road over in Perth?

It is now looking 99% certain that we are getting ours on Saturday morning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sclyde2 said:
Nice one. A fully loaded Kodiaq. Have you seen any other kodiaqs on the road over in Perth?

It is now looking 99% certain that we are getting ours on Saturday morning.
Have fun with it over the weekend. :)

And nope, I have not seen any yet. Many SUV's though but not the Kodiaq's. I see Octavia's and Superbs, but not that many, maybe the stock are very limited here, given that there is only one dealership here in Perth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we picked ours up on saturday morning (15th July). i had very high expectations, and it has met them View attachment 356

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
It looks awesome. Rims matching the color beautifully! Congrats and enjoy. Please do share your findings as you go...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My update to the end of Saturday:

I mentioned to the dealer the reliability issues people are having with the foot operated boot. He agreed that it was temperamental, and neither of us could get it to work on our new car. Not a good start. But not a showstopper for me. I must've tried 25 times to get it to work. Then another dozen times at home. Tonight at home, it crossed my mind that they might've not installed the hardware for it. So there I was, having another go. Got it second go. Then 15 times in a row. I might have worked it out. I'll see how I go tomorrow.

As others have found, I am finding that the door needs to be slammed a bit harder than normal to get it to shut properly. So far, I am finding that I am needing 2 attempts to shut it more often than not. Will get used to it. Maybe the door protection stuff makes it harder to close the door.

After getting the idea from another thread, I have decided to leave the gearbox in S, to get a better range of revs and avoid low rev laboring during run in. Seems to keep it above 2000rpm. I am presently using what I believe to be half throttle at most. I don't think it has gone over 4000rpm.

I have done about 100km today. A mix of Sydney traffic, 80 zone and freeway (M2 100 zone). In S, it rarely went into 7th. Cruised at 100 in 6th at around 2000rpm. As expected, fuel economy is much worse than the diesel Alltrack. Worse than 10. No doubt,. S mode and the tight engine are contributing.

After the diesel Alltrack, the petrol engine is noticeably quieter, especially at or near idle, where it is virtually undetectable. Engine starts and shuts down very smoothly.

Have noticed a few not totally smooth gear changes, such as one where it kicked down a gear going up a hill at around 50.

Drove the length of the comenara, which is an up-down rollercoaster road. The effortlessness was commendable. It is only a 60 zone though. Geez the Alltrack has a lot more engine braking - I expected this, but not as marked.

After getting the car home, we set about switching over. Out of the alltrack, we moved the 2 kids seats (including one rear facing) into the kodiaq, adjusting the 2nd row forward about a third of the way. This gives us a boot about 3cm longer than the Passat's (and an identical width, or +-3mm), or a 3rd row with enough knee room for my wife. Compared to the kodiaqs we test drove, which were empty and with the 2nd row all the way back, our car seems a little smaller than expected, especially in the 2nd row. However, I still believe it is the Goldilocks size for us. As we have it setup, we can have our front seats where we want them, without the rear facing seat touching the back of the front seat, or our 2 year old being close enough to kick the seat back, and also fit my wife in the 3rd row, or fit our oversized pram in the boot. If we were taller it might be a different story.

Left it in comfort mode all day. Seemed to have a slightly better ride than the alltrack. Quite good on speed bump, but one pothole didn't totally get smoothed out.

Dealer reckons the euro spec fancy electric towbar will get approval in oz. And can be retrofitted. Fingers crossed.

Overall, very happy with the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update to the end of the weekend:

I still haven't worked out that foot operated boot. my hit:miss ratio is still nowhere near good enough. just when i think i've worked it out, it doesnt work....

some have mentioned that the foot operated boot doesn't work if you are too close when you are doing the kick. i think there's something in this. i.e. try the kick when you are standing a fair way away, and step back quite a way. and then wait. the problem with it is the delay - you have to wait a couple secs before you get any signs that it is going to work. especially how it is inconsistent with the hitting the button, which is instantaneous. i think i may be inadvertently cancelling successful kicks because i don't wait long enough before stepping forward and trying again.

we now done close to 200km on ours.

i am finding the driver assistance stuff a bit conservative. as it is, it reduces its usefulness around sydney drivers. set the ACC at the closest following distance, and the gap is still too large, such that other motorists will not consider you to be slowing for the car in front, and go around and jump into the gap in front of you. the blind spot monitoring indicates a car next to you, when it is a fair way back, with "plenty" (in sydney) of space to change lane in front of them. i found this to be similar in the passat, but the kodiaq might be a touch more conservative.

i spotted my first bit of cost cutting that was a bit of a let down. the keyless entry is only on the front doors, not the back doors. this is probably most noticeable to me, because our passat has it on all doors, and i have become used to it, and use it a lot. was a bit surprised when i first noticed it on the kodiaq, with my arms full and going to put my 2 year old into his car seat in the back. in that case it was a bit of a pain - i went to use the driver door, but it didn't unlock the back door (the locking setting was still at default). then another issue: in our VWs, you can use the central lock/unlock buttons on the driver door, but, in the kodiaq, you have to stretch across to the button in the middle of the car - not easy when holding a kid and other stuff. bit of a pain, but easily fixed via changing the locking setting (on the infotainment system) to unlock all when one door is unlocked. now i just grasp the front door handle, which unlocks all doors, then open the rear door. not too bad a workaround, but it is an extra step that i wouldn't have to do if it had keyless entry on the rear doors.

as expected, when you have kids seats in, the access to the 3rd row is non existent. as we currently use the seatbelts to attach the kids' car seats (not isofix), we can't really slide the 2nd row forward (as the seatbelts tighten). maybe when we turn our convertible seat around to face front and start using the isofix attachments, maybe we might be able to squeeze behind the 2nd row (will be able to slide, but not tilt much) to get to the 3rd row. for our present configuration, the only way to the 3rd row is through the boot. this is only really possible if you only have one of the 3rd row seats up. luckily we only really need the 3rd row for one person. it will be a hassle though, when the boot is full of kids stuff, pram etc. i am guessing our baby will be turned around within the next 3 months, so this is only a temporary problem. if it was a real issue we could try using the isofix attachments while she is still rear facing, but the installer told us the isofix attachment on our kid's car seat aren't that good when in the rear facing configuration.

i havent yet checked the tyre pressure. it rides well, but probably should check (in case it didn't get adjusted during pre-delivery).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
I find that being about two feet from the car and doing a quick flick with the foot (not waggling it around, just a short sharp kick) usually gets it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
sclyde2 said:
Update to the end of the weekend:

I still haven't worked out that foot operated boot. my hit:miss ratio is still nowhere near good enough. just when i think i've worked it out, it doesnt work....
Came across this video showing a BMW salesman using the hands free trunk opening. Note how he quickly steps backwards. See if this helps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It makes sense that the foot operated boot is opened from a few paces back. I also have issues with opening it and decided to let the dealer fix it on the first visit of 1500kms which I see I have exceeded already.
With my garage door closed I would be very excited indeed as I walked around the rear to find the boot opening on the now closed garage door.
Someone asked re Kodiaqs available in Australia. You are fortunate if you have one already. I understand the very first batch for the whole of Australia was only 117. It will be a long time before you spot one on the road I'm guessing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts