Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Hello, some advice needed re Petrol or Diesel

13K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Colin Lambert 
#1 ·
Hello, I haven't ordered my Kodiaq yet but really can't decide on pertrol or diesel. We do about 13.5K a year, mixture of town driving and one or two 300 mile round trip motorway trips a month to visit relatives. I did a test drive in the 1.4 150BHP petrol and was pleasantly surprised by how swift and smooth it was, almost silent drive.

Most journeys will be me, wife and two young kids. Occasionally, the car will be loaded going on holiday, so maybe 10 or 15 trips a year taking a full load.

Based on those stats would you go petrol 1.4 15O BHP or 2.0 Diesel 150 BHP (both DSG)?

#2 ·
Hi,

You may find this debate useful (or not)
https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1387

With your usage I think either petrol or diesel will be fine. If you're a cash buyer you might prefer petrol as there is currently a greater risk of depreciation on diesel (in my opinion). If you're buying on a PCP then it doesn't matter.

#4 ·
I wont get into the great petrol v's diesel debate, I can only give you my experience of driving my 1.4 TSI. I have just enjoyed three weeks of summer break here in the Land Down Under. Over those three weeks I clocked up 3000k's travailing on Motorways, two lane highways, narrow twisting roads and gravel roads. The car was always carrying four passengers and sometimes five. Not once did I ever think that I needed more power, and I used to drive a Merc V8.
On the steep twisting roads the car responded nicely, on a steep Motorway incline the down shift from 6th to 5th was so smooth that you only noticed a slight increase in the cabin noise when the revs jumped from 2000 to 2500 and even then the Bear never felt like it was working hard.
If I was towing I might want the extra oomph of a bigger engine, but if you don't intend to tow then the 1.4 would probably handle everything you can throw in it. No doubt the 2.0 TSI and TDI owners can say the same about their Bears. If you look up some of my other posts you can see some of my MPGs that I have recorded.

#5 ·
I agree with what KodiaqNZ said.

I have the 1.4 TSI 150bhp. We have had 6 people with luggage in it (no roofrack). We have had 7 people in it. Our two kids are teenagers, so not as light as as infants and not as heavy as an adult. Some of these adults make up the lower weight of the kids though, to put things politely.

The car never gave me the impression it wasn't coping. The DSG downshifted sometimes going up a hill, when it probably wouldn't if it was just me in it. But I reckon you would downshift even if the car had more "oomph" in those circumstances anyway.

There may be other factors that could swing your decision. Such as mpg and depreciation. Those experiences and opinions are better shared on the other thread however.

You test drove the 1.4 TSI 150bhp. You liked it. We endorse it. You make the decision.

#6 ·
1.4 TSi DSG
If you are buying out right (not PCP) you really have no choice. Diesel sales are dropping like a stone and dealers are having serious problems shifting s/hand 'oilers' .My local Merc dealer has hardly ant s/hand petrols they are nearly ALL derv and he can't shift them.
Driven sensibly and bearing in mind petrol is cheaper than derv the fuel costs aren't that far apart. I agree with the comments re towing however. If you do tow you will have to weigh up WHAT you are towing and how far. Caravan trips ~ derv. Garden trailer/small boat. ~petrol.
whichever yo decide on you will love it!
Good hunting.

#7 ·
#8 ·
#9 ·
Also, big discounts on some diesels - maybe a good time to buy?
In the long term what do like driving - just go with it.

#10 ·
JKSKodi said:
Also, big discounts on some diesels - maybe a good time to buy?
Only if you are going to keep it forever. If you normally change every 3 years or so the saving on purchase will probably be wiped out by the greater depreciation when you come to P/X it as I think the anti derv syndrome will only get worse as we head towards more electric/hydrogen power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.