Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We specified a heated windscreen but can't see any small lines which would indicate that it actually is. On our Fiesta you could clearly see the element. Does anyone else with a heated windscreen have any visual clues that it is heated?

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you turn it on when the windscreen is frosty the frost will melt....

Sorry I couldn't resist. I believe they now use a film of gold rather than a zig zag element.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris!

·
Registered
617 Posts
More details here:

https://www.volkswagen-media-services.com/en/detailpage/-/detail/Perfect-visibility-with-no-heating-wires--the-climate-windscreen-from-Volkswagen/view/4487024/7a5bbec13158edd433c6630f5ac445da?p_p_auth=g6Cj0HG8

"However, it is not only during the cold winter months that the innovative windscreen is a help. In the summer, the thin layer of silver acts as a passive heat shield. As it reflects up to 60 per cent of the summer heat, it is able to reduce the inside temperature by up to 15 degrees more than conventional glass with green tinting. As a result, the air-conditioning system is able to cool a car that has been parked in the sun down to a comfortable temperature much more quickly."

My Kodiaq is definitely cooler in hot weather under the sun in comparison to my other BMW.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bigboss, very useful info

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can anyone explain how the heated front windscreen works. I went out last night (29/10/17) and my windscreen was (for the first time this year) misted on the inside. I switched it on and the windscreen did not clear, it only cleared by using the heater blower ventilation obviously taking time to so. I presumed that the heated front windscreen was not working even though it was showing as being on in the consumable screen. I went out this morning (30/1017) to find it was frosty. I checked the windscreen to find frost/ice on it. I again switched the heated front windscreen on without operating the ventilation and the frost/ice melted leaving the only part of the windscreen frosted as that over the black bobble strip surrounding the camera/sensor/rear view mirror.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm guessing that the heated screen will clear mist, but it will take longer.

Firstly, perhaps the metallic layer is nearer the outside of the glass?

Secondly, and probably more importantly, we're asking quite different things when melting ice or evaporating condensation. To melt the frost, we need to raise it from, say, -3C to above 0C. And then give it the energy to melt (latent heat of fusion 334 joules per gram). To evaporate the condensation will take a greater rise in temperature and injection of the energy to vaporise (latent heat of vaporisation 2230 joules per gram).

Does that make sense?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Gosh, I wish I was clever like you Dave :lol:
Seriously though. It does make sense!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes it does make sense Dave, I just thought that it may be more like the rear heated screen.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Actually heated windshield is ment for unfrosting the ice from outside so you don't need to struggle with ice scraper.

You still need to use Climatronic to dry the windshild out from inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts