Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the damper guide just "pop" in and out where it joins the glovebox itself ?
That's the impression the instructions give, but I don't want to risk breaking anything, so if anyone has done this could you please give detailed run though of what's involved please ?
I would like to get my dashcam installed ASAP, but the glovebox removal is a concern :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are sat directly in front of the glove box then push the bottom of the damper arm away from you towards the front of the car. It requires a bit of force.
It will then move out to the right away from the glove box.

I had just as much of a problem getting past the two bump stops without scratching things.
Even though you wouldn't see them it would have annoyed me knowing they were there :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The end that's attached to the dash or the end at the glovebox itself ?
Is it a pull off the bump stops out and up ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
It just pulls off with clips holding it. Same as Octavia

·
Registered
8 Posts
Savage said:
The end that's attached to the dash or the end at the glovebox itself ?
Is it a pull off the bump stops out and up ?
The end attached to the glovebox.

The bump stops have to be pushed away from the glovebox. The glove box doesn't flex.
These were very stiff and I had to use some plastic levers pushed between the glovebox and stops.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Right, we'll start with a still of the passenger side dashboard end panel.
You can prize it off with a very thin (old fashioned ) steel knife blade. Just work your way slowly up the rear of the black panel.
Then the fun begins. I suggest you start at the bottom and pull the rubber seal back as you prize the lip of the black panel out from behind the rubber.
(Refitting it is really fun, NOT)
Don't worry about the airbag switch it can be disconnected by depressing the tongue on the wire side of the switch. (press the red bit on the yellow connector in the picture) inside there are plenty of bolts (spline drive but luckily also with hex heads) that could be used as an earth.

Hopefully there will be a video below. I am downloading to computer using bluetooth so it is taking forever.
I'm afraid it is not very good as I had to wear a head torch and and it is very dark with black plastic. Hold the 'phone and do all the above mentioned manoeuvres single handed. So basically Cecil B De Mille I ain't! :lol:
I find the best way to remove the damper strut is finger and thumb. Once that is loose.
Depress the side 'blob' (they are designed to push back) on the out side end. once it is free you have to twist the door, otherwise it will click back on again.. Then holding the door twisted with your left hand , depress the 'blob' on th right side of the door .
Et voila! the door flops down exposing the fuses. I use a pair of artery forceps to pull the fuses as they are much easier to control and are, of course, 6 inches long.

I will be using the rear wiper fuse which, in the handbook is number 40 and on the fuse board is, I think (check first) the blue 15 amp fuse. This is about the only one where it is easy to use a 'piggyback' fuseholder with wire tail.

Should be 'cooked' by 14.00hrs today, still uploading. I give up on Botophukit. It is having yet another off day today!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Colin, do you need to unclip the airbag switch, is there room to get to things without ?
Will watch video once its up, although at the min its showing as private, maybe because its not uploaded.

For future reference, and to minimize risk of scratches while removing trim, I have found a set of these handy : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bojo-Blue-Genius-7-Piece-Kit-Plastic-Car-Trim-Radio-Pry-Tool-Snap-On-Off-/262970426621?hash=item3d3a4244fd:g:UUMAAOSwYIxX8sBI

I have no affiliation with the seller and other makes/sellers probably work just as well, but Bojo seemed to be a decent brand so I bought a set a few years back, very useful ;)

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I just checked clicking the link on my post . it worked ok.
It really is a [email protected] clip I'm afraid. I needed at least two more hands and a floodlight.
I would have said that, with care, you could loosen a bolt with the airbag switch connected.
I would NOT take any bolt right out. get an open ended spade terminal, loosen the bolt and just slide the spade under the bolt head. Then do it up as tight as you can! If it hasn't got a captive nut behind it you will be in deep do-do! These bolts are, of course, never expected to be unscrewed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you disconnect any airbag plugs do not turn the ignition on otherwise you will get the airbag light on the dash which will need to be reset by a dealer or someone with VCDS etc.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Colin, yes it works for you, still showing as private for me, I have never uploaded to you tube so no idea what does what, but is there an option to make public ?

+ good point Gizmo68. Not that I would disconnect the plug, I am scared Ill set it off ! :lol:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you see the video Meduk1 ?
Is it just me getting the "If the owner of this video has granted you access, please sign in." or "this video is unavailable" message ?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I think you may have to create a Youtube a/c if not, I don't know,, sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Then I'm lost I'm afraid.
Sunkist Wilde having a problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
As an alternative earth and to avoid the need to remove the side trim I managed to use the star bolt just beneath and to the rear of the fuses.

Colin pointed this out to me in another thread and I managed to loosen it with a screwdriver and star attachment. Wasn't quite straight on with the screwdriver but enough so I could get purchase.

Also can't view the video by the way. Get an unavailable message.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all :)
Easy job to remove the clip as mentioned above, and the glovebox stops.
I have wired in the voltage dropper/usb socket to the fusebox using a piggyback fuse holder.
I could not use fuse 47 (rear wiper) due to the larger than usual fuse for the drivers electric seat blocking the way, so piggybacked on fuse 48 (blind spot detection) which just fits ! This is also an ignition on only power source.
I earthed at the aforementioned torx bolt at the bottom of the fusebox with a ring spade. (this can be removed as its threaded into the metal).
You can just get a torx socket with an extension in there.
Now all I have to do is wait for my new camera and mini USB right angle to USB 1.8m lead to arrive, then I can finish the job !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts