Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I live in central Italy in a very beautiful place with quite roads and great scenery. I will be selling my 1998 3.0 TD Toyota Land Cruiser Colorado and would really like to replace it with a Kodiaq. I have 3 young kids and a dog to move around and very occasionally 2 grandparents. Most of the time the car will be used for short runs to local towns for shopping and school runs. There is never any traffic and most rums are about 20-30 mins each way. Once a month or so we do a longer trip 1.5 hrs each way. We do about 9000 miles per year. In Italy they only have 1 petrol option, the 1.4 TSi manual with 125 Hp, the rest are diesels. My local dealership has offered me the Kodiaq Active 1.4 TSI 125 Hp for €20,950 ( a special price as I am buying through my business). The problem is we will not be able to test it before ordering, Italy is big into diesels and hardly anyone buys petrol. (Diesel is 10% cheaper than unleaded at the pumps). I would prefer to buy a petrol car for many reasons, however I am concerned that the 125 Hp won't have the poke to move us around without straining. My Land Cruiser has 62 BHp/Ton but 295 Nm of torque. The Kodiaq has 81BHp/Ton and 200 Nm of torque. I would really appreciate some comments from you good people on the forum. Cheers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Welcome Paul,

If you are doing a fair bit of driving in the mountains (which can be pretty steep in your area) then I would say the 1.4 125 bhp will feel underpowered when fully loaded.

Personally I in your situation would not order such a small engine without driving one first, do Audi or VW do a SUV with the 1.4 125 bhp engine you can test drive?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would stay away from the 125 petrol... You will find it very underwhelming in the condition you will use it. It's really only a 'run around town' engine, no big torque/capacity for any serious driving, certainly not up and down mountain roads. Weird choice to not have the other 1.4TSI 150bhp by Skoda Italia... For many reason here in the UK we are moving away from diesel... for obvious environmental reason. But in your case... I would go for the 2.0tdi 150bhp...

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul.
I'm With Gizmo & Olivier.
Three reasons.
1.I think 125 BHP would be gutless in mountainous country specially with kids, dog and Granny on board.
2.Italy obviously won't suffer so much from the anti diesel move that is currently going on in U.K. if they buy more diesels.
3. diesel is cheaper in Italy.
Therefore no brainer IMHO!
I live in Dorset (no mountains ;) ) and I am only 2 people and two dogs up at weekends otherwise just me and hound & I would not consider the 125 .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice Colin. A quick follow-up question, if I could get the 1.4 tsi dsg 150hp would that meet my requirements, ( in your opinion?) I don't drive fast, but I do need to get up a 200 metre 10% gradient dirt road to get to my house. Salute.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Paul,

Colin and I have gone for the same specs, and we both think that on a lower mileage, the 1.4tsi engine will deliver the same pleasure than the 2.0 tdi.

Same power output, stronger torque lower for the tdi, more revving capabilities and good torque anyway (direct injection) for the 1.4tsi...

If you could buy it from one of the neighbouring countries... than no brainer. 1.4tsi 150bhp...

Olivier

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Absolutely spot on. Can't add any more. Go over a border and get the 150DSG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the wise words. I am exploring all the possibilities regarding getting a more potent engine and came across a website that sell "chip kits" to boast engine performance. I paste the link below. I am not a mechanic or engineer, I am a sceptic but am willing to be convinced based on evidence. The site makes the claim of 38% more HP, 31% more Nm and 5% less fuel !!! I am usually of the opinion when something sounds too good to be true, it is normally BS. Is there anyone with a technical background able to advise on this? BTW they want €845 for this.

http://www.ptronic.com/14590-chip-tuning-volkswagen-golf-1.4-tsi-125.html

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
The question you have ask yourself is.... If their kit can give you 5% improvement in consumption why don't the manufacturers do it? Also it may overstress the engine. You must bear in mind that these small turbo engines are more highly stressed than a naturally aspirated engine off the same capacity.
By the way, you can't have both. It's either more poke or lower consumption.
The price of that lot sounds excessive. For that price you could get the ECU 're mapped' rather than chipped.
Obviously I have no knowledge of Italian car insurance, but in the UK many insurance companies will NOT insure a chipped or remapped car.
Check the price difference between the 1.4&2.0L petrol over your side of the channel. You might find it is cheaper or almost to buy the 2 litre TSi.
Personally. I wouldn't touch chipping or remapping.

·
Registered
314 Posts
A (good) tuning box or better still remap will increase the mpg because the engine is now working less hard to get to the same speed, this is of course providing you drive the same and not using the extra power to its full potential!
A car with more power from the factory may well also have better brakes than the less powerful one.

€845 is a lot for a remap let alone a tuning box!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I managed to part resolve the dilemma and am reasonably confident that I have ordered a car that will do 99.9% of what I want it to do. The 2.0 TDI would have done 100% of what I wanted but at a lot more money. We were able to get a feel for the petrol by taking a spin in a Skoda Octavia with the 1.4 TSI rated at 110hp and running on a Gas conversion. We drove it up the steepest hill around and it was not found lacking. So allowing for more weight and more power in the Kodiaq, we think we will be happy. We ordered the base model in Jungle Green, 7 seats and a spare wheel. With the discount, as we were buying in the business name we paid €21,935 or about 19000 GBP. One drawback we discovered is that as it is a business purchase the guarantee is for unlimited km but only valid for 2 years! Whereas buying as a consumer we get 4 years ! Do you think I should be concerned by this as I can still make the contract in my own name, losing the tax deduction in may accounts. If I do put the car in my own name I can then take advantage of cheaper car insurance because I have 15 years no claims here whereas the business policy will start a 0. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Paul

I am currently signed up to receive the 1.4 TSI 125 engine, 7 seater Kodiaq and I must admit I am a bit nervous about the power given some of the reviews (admittedly none saying don't go with this). I would be grateful to learn how you are finding yours.
Best regards

Lucien

1 - 13 of 13 Posts