Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a new facelift VRS incoming, and if so, are you going to leave the aero trims in place or store them in the garage?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accepting that black plastic wheel trims are at best an acquired taste, I haven't been able to find any proper pictures of the VRS without them in place. Plus based on Youtube videos it seems that you'd also been missing the central "cap", or at least need to source ones to fit. Is your dealer sorting you out, or are you going to cross that bridge when you come to it?

Registered
2022 kodiaq VRS in race blue
This is the only image I have found with the wheels minus the inserts.
Can't imagine you would need a replacement center cap if you remove the inserts.

Registered
The only thing I've seen is the Autogefuel review (linked below at 1:09) where the reviewer goes to pop out one of the inserts, but sadly only partly removes one - it would have been nice to see how it looked with all of them removed. Not sure about the centre cap though - looks like it's quite a bit proud of the alloy and is a grey hexagon of plastic - looks like that might come off as well when you remove the inserts, so not sure what's underneath?

Definitely looks better without them though...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the images. Your google-fu is definitiely better than mine.

If you look at 6:36 of the linked video it appears to me that there is no central cap beneath the aero cover? Perhaps the central cap comes off the cover and can be placed directly into the wheel, which would be handy.

As a side note, I wonder if removing the covers means that technically you've modified your vehicle as it'd no longer be factory spec?

Registered
Didn't realise it was all one piece - I thought they were 5 individual pieces. Definitely the Skoda badge comes off with the aero cover then and there isn't another one underneath. I'd be surprised if it's possible to take it off the covers and fit it to the alloys though, but it does look like a 'standard' Skoda centre cap ought to fit (as per most other Kodiaqs, including the Sportline's Vega alloys, which are also 20").

Registered
2022 kodiaq VRS in race blue
It would not be changing from factory spec as they are advertised as "removable" in the brochure.
Looking at the videos and pictures I would guess that they are 1 piece.
They must supply a replacement centre cap for use when the aero covers are removed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Look at the trims being removed again, I think one would probably want to add wheel nut covers too. I'd be really surprised if the centre caps or nut covers were included with the car but I've never owned a skoda and I'd be pleased to be wrong.

You can give us the full skinny when yours arrives Shotto.

Registered
Looking at the video posted by Dappernut at 6:37 where the German reviewer is holding the cover, there appear to be covers on the wheelnuts, but not the centre cap. I'd also say that on the inside of the cover is a silver circle, which looks very much like the centre of the cover 'clips' into the same hole in the centre of the alloy in the same way that the centre cap does on the Vega alloys on a Sportline (i.e. it seems to have a large circlip on the inside to hold it in place). On that basis, I'd hazard that the wheelnut caps might be included as standard, but unless they are provided and stored elsewhere (under the boot floor/in a bag in the glovebox?) then the centre caps would need to be purchased separately.

Joint Sleeve Street fashion Waist Electric blue
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Registered
Also noted that the tyres fitted to that car are the Continental Sportcontact 5, which probably wouldn't be my choice of the two that Skoda fit as OEM tyres from the factory (not that Skoda give you the choice, you get what you're given!)

My impression is that the Continentals are pretty good in the dry, so-so in the wet, rubbish in the cold (ok, they're UHP summer tyres) but most importantly I've read here and elsewhere that they don't last that long, anywhere around the 10-11k miles for the set of all 4 to be worn out.

My car has the alternate choice of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Seal Inside (same size) and at 28.5k miles I've still got 3mm tread on the front and nearly 6mm tread on the rears. The seal inside even kept me mobile for at least a week (possibly longer, no idea) when I got a nail in the centre of the tread, which the Continentals clearly wouldn't have.

I have no idea if the Pirellis are more common on UK supplied cars, or if there's a preference at the factory for the Continentals on the vRS over the Pirellis on the Sportline which gets the same size tyres?

Registered

If you look at 6:36 of the linked video it appears to me that there is no central cap beneath the aero cover? Perhaps the central cap comes off the cover and can be placed directly into the wheel, which would be handy.

As a side note, I wonder if removing the covers means that technically you've modified your vehicle as it'd no longer be factory spec?

Here is the price list https://www.autopodbaba.cz/content/...21/2021-09-13/auto-podbabska-cenik-kodiaq.pdf

Registered
Does anyone have a new facelift VRS incoming, and if so, are you going to leave the aero trims in place or store them in the garage?
I have just ordered the vRS (have to wait a year for delivery) and i will be taking the covers straight off - i am assuming you can buy a standard 58mm cover for the centre?? It will be interesting to see how you guys get round it before mine is delivered next November. I am not sure what Skoda were thinking with those covers to be fair!!!

Registered
You may be right :cry:- whats interesting is the dealership didn't even know you could take the covers off!!! I will be buying a set of centre caps and wheel nut covers, those covers won't be seeing the light of day!!!!
From what I've seen online, I don't think you'll need the wheel nut covers as I think they are there under the removable wheel covers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts