Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expecting to pickup my Kodiaq in a few weeks. I'm thinking I'll keep it for 4 years - maybe longer. In such circumstances, do people recommend paying for an extra one (or two) years manufacturers warranty?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Zarjaz. Recently made an order of a Kodiaq. I asked the dealer about he extended warranty - he said not to bother yet. The car could be written off/stolen etc during the 3 years the warranty is not even being used. Advice was to get the warranty in three years (before the 3 years is up though..) It may be slightly more expensive.. but probably a sensible approach

M.

·
Registered
421 Posts
No chance I'll ever pay to extend a warranty. Extended warranties and needless insurance policies have got to be the biggest consumer rip off going.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair points. I was told that I could wait, but that the warranty I could buy just before 3 years wouldn't be the full manufacturers warranty. I'd hate to have the DSG box go after 3 years and one month...!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Here's a good one! SWMBO's Rapid was purchased used, (but only 8 months old), and with an extended warranty which the original purchaser had paid for. The extended warranty appears on the digital service records every time the car is serviced. When the car got to 3 years old I contacted Skoda UK Customer Services to ask whether the extended warranty was transferable, and whether it included breakdown cover. I was told "YES", so I didn't bother getting separate breakdown cover for her. Today we received a card from AA saying that the Skoda complimentary breakdown cover had expired. I immediately telephoned AA to say that Skoda UK Customer services had told me that the extended warranty included breakdown cover. AA insisted it did not. So I then spoke to Skoda UK Customer Services to get them to clarify the situation, That was at 11am this morning. They confirmed that an extended warranty was in place, and said they would do some digging and get back to me with the answer as to whether it included breakdown cover. The fact that they haven't called back after an hour plus makes me think the answer is not as simple as it would appear! Anyone able to shed any light?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Old and Grumpy, as far as I'm aware it does not include the breakdown cover. I had it on the Yeti and they wouldn't come out when I had an electrical fault at 3 years 3 days old. You can extend it of course.

Had the extended warranty on my Kodiaq for peace of mind, and it's a full factory warranty unlike some other schemes and cheaper too.

It's obviously an issue trying to prove what you were told but there may be something the supplying dealer or Skoda can do. Good luck

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
299 Posts
When I bought my car, the dealers advice was, since you don't have to take it out on day one, take it out as late as possible in case you decide you don't like the car or want to upgrade it in the meantime.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My understanding was that the full factory extended warranty was only available if you took it out before the car was registered.

We took it because the mileage limitation on VAG warranties is so pitiful we're likely to blow through it in around 2 years, and I wanted a bit more peace of mind.

·
Registered
159 Posts
MrTrilby said:
My understanding was that the full factory extended warranty was only available if you took it out before the car was registered.
That's exactly what my dealer told me

·
Registered
299 Posts
Swindiaq said:
MrTrilby said:
Contradicts what I was told.... hmmm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can only take out the extended factory warranty when the car is registered, not after. Otherwise you have the option to extend it for year 4 and 5 but with a far more expensive or not as extensive warranty. I had to do this with my used vRS Octavia.

·
Registered
947 Posts
ChrisL said:
Swindiaq said:
MrTrilby said:
Contradicts what I was told.... hmmm.
Most dealers can't find their own @rse with two hands so I always disbelieve them until until proven right.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
A friend of mine took out year 4 & 5 2 months before the 3 year warranty expired and it WAS the same as the original for her 14 reg Fabia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts