Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... given that the 1.4tsi is OK, but not thunderous by any mean... has anyone started looking at engine remap?
I know nothing about them, but clearly there are loads of options out there, from sketchy to ABT (nearly official... kinda...)

Anyone has an opinion? Risk to DSG transmission? or else?

Let me know... :) :) :)
Olivier

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I would be very cautious about remapping any of the TSi engines. they are pretty highly stressed. To get the equivalent of a 2.0Litre engine out of a 1.4 , they must be at the top end .
Also I know for a fact that although some insures will allow it, others, including AVIVA will refuse to insure any remapped car.
Why did you buy the 1.4 if you aren't happy with it's performance? Normal 0-62 is 9.7sec using launch control you can get it down to 8.5seconds.
But I don't know why Skoda even have launch control on a large SUV it doesn't pretend to be a sports car.
If people want to tear-arse around in an SUV they should perhaps buy a V8 BMW X5.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Personally I wouldn't remap a 1.4, 150ps out of that engine is a reasonably high figure for an everyday road car.
The 2.0, I wouldn't have any qualms about remapping from a reputable company if I felt it needed it a couple of years down the line.
As mentioned you will load up your insurance though .... and invalidate your warranty ....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm told by someone who is familiar with VW engines that they remap themselves to run leaner after a set running-in distance. I'll be interested to see...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Savage said:
Personally I wouldn't remap a 1.4, 150ps out of that engine is a reasonably high figure for an everyday road car.
The 2.0, I wouldn't have any qualms about remapping from a reputable company if I felt it needed it a couple of years down the line.
As mentioned you will load up your insurance though .... and invalidate your warranty ....
I am no stranger to remapping cars but likewise I am not sure I would remap a 1.4 as it will already be fairly highly stressed to begin with, a remap will typically add approx 30BHP over std.
Whilst it will invalidate your engine warranty, it will only affect directly affected components, so for example a wheel bearing would still be covered under warranty.

Italy Paul said:
Anyone have any thoughts on remapping the 125 ps engine?
A remapped 125 BHP will probably go better than the 150 does as std, as they will produce a lot more torque, for example the 1.4 (122 BHP) TSi Tiguan goes from 122 - 145 BHP but more importantly the torque goes from 200 Nm - 265 Nm

http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/volkswagen/tiguan/tiguan-0/1-4-tsi-122-bhp-10/remaps-3896

I notice the 2.0 (170 BHP) TSi Tiguan goes to 250 BHP and from 320 Nm - 420 Nm... now that has got me interested in the TSi :eek:

http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/volkswagen/tiguan/tiguan-0/2-0-tsi-170-bhp/remaps-3962

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I am obviously being a bit dim.
I simply can't understand why anybody would want to remap a Kodiaq. There is such a wide variety of available engines. If you need more power, buy a more powerful model. Why run all the risks as outlined above.
Seems bonkers to me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
I am obviously being a bit dim.
I simply can't understand why anybody would want to remap a Kodiaq. There is such a wide variety of available engines. If you need more power, buy a more powerful model. Why run all the risks as outlined above.
Seems bonkers to me.
It's not just about more power it's about how the car drives, a (good) remapped 150 TDi will pull better than a std 190 making the driving experience easier and needing the engine to wok less hard to make the same progress.

I do agree though if a nippy engine is important then buy the biggest one they do and then if really needed remap that one.

Another thing to consider is a smaller (less powerful) engine may well use smaller brakes than the larger engined cars.

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rule of thumb:

1.4L engine -> max 170HP
2.0L engine -> max 260HP

This is with bigger turbo (bi-turbo), enlarged injectors/valves and software remap.

7-speed DSG DQ500 transmission can handle everything you throw at it from a 2.0. It's rated at 600Nm.
6-speed DSG DQ250 can handle the 1.4 maximum remap, but not from the 2.0. It's rated at 350Nm.
The manual dry clutch transmission is only rated at 250Nm and any remaps will require a clutch change to a sporty one.

Personaly i wouldn't remap a SUV engine. If you want a stronger engine, buy 2.0L one. If you do a proper remap with mechanical alterations, not just software, you will be spendinding quite alot of money anyway. If you do only software you will get max 15HP more out of the engine and will stress other components that will lower their lifespan and void your warranty, for little gain.

If you want a sporty car, buy an Octavia or Superb.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I agree with you Brown Bear.
Kodiaqs are a new model and already people are wanting to mess about with them. If it doesn't suit your needs go and buy something else!
( I accept Italy Paul's comment)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This thread is turning a bit nasty...
We are entitled to our own opinions, Colin. I chose the 1.4tsi knowing it might be a bit wheezy and it is. If I can get a little boost on the cheap, it's my choice, I am not asking you to join a cult here... (though I do realize that we are not on PistonHeads, where these threads are common...)
I didn't choose the 2.0tsi because of the tax implication and the fact that that engine is in fact an older engine.

To each their own, I was only sounding people for options, not to be criticized.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Regarding the German adaptive pedal to reduce engine lag, I contacted them enquiring about fitting to the K and got this -

"thank you for contacting the RaceChip Customer Service.

Unfortunately, we don't have any products for your vehicle yet.

The development process can take a few months before a product is released to assure you maximum performance and a safe drive.

Please visit back our website in a few months to check availability.
http://www.racechip.com/

We appreciate your understanding since we cannot provide an estimated release date.

Should you require any more information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.You may simply reply to this message and a member of our team will get back to you."

·
Registered
314 Posts
Brown_bear said:
Rule of thumb:

1.4L engine -> max 170HP
2.0L engine -> max 260HP

This is with bigger turbo (bi-turbo), enlarged injectors/valves and software remap.

7-speed DSG DQ500 transmission can handle everything you throw at it from a 2.0. It's rated at 600Nm.
6-speed DSG DQ250 can handle the 1.4 maximum remap, but not from the 2.0. It's rated at 350Nm.
The manual dry clutch transmission is only rated at 250Nm and any remaps will require a clutch change to a sporty one.

Personaly i wouldn't remap a SUV engine. If you want a stronger engine, buy 2.0L one. If you do a proper remap with mechanical alterations, not just software, you will be spendinding quite alot of money anyway. If you do only software you will get max 15HP more out of the engine and will stress other components that will lower their lifespan and void your warranty, for little gain.

If you want a sporty car, buy an Octavia or Superb.
Sorry if this offends but it appears you are making it up as you go along...

VAG already do a std 2.0 producing 280 (Superb)
6 speed DQ250 is offered on the 190 Superb which produces 400Nm as std (and many people are pushing 500+ Nm without issue)
A stage 1 remap (remap and nothing else changed) typically produces 30 BHP more

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry if I sound ignorant now, but what are the implications of a remap on fuel spent?
Ideally I'd only like to eliminate the pedal lag - not interested in tuning the torque/performance - what options are there in this case?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Colin

I currently have a Golf Mk6 2.0 TDI 110bhp. It drove a little flat so after research I discovered that the 140 bhp 2.0 tdi engine was basically the same engine with a different map. Encouraged by this I had my car remapped about four years ago. The remap took the car to roughly 140 bhp.

I then drove my brothers' 140 bhp Golf and the difference between the two cars was noticeable. They were rated at the same power but the delivery and drive of my remapped engine was far more satisfying. I was also getting better fuel consumption!

So what I'm saying is that a good remap, that is not too aggressive, will not only deliver more power but it can improve the overall driving experience of the car (and potentially the fuel consumption). The 140 bhp Golf would have cost me an additional £2000 over the 110 bhp - the remap was £250. I have had no problems with clutch/turbo etc.

That said, I would personally be reluctant to remap a car still in warranty - particularly before the car has been run-in and any snags have arisen.

So potential remap pros:

More power
Increased fuel consumption
Better driving experience
Works out cheaper than buying a more powerful engine option.

Potential remap cons

Invalidate warranty
More stress on engine components - if remap is aggressive
increased insurance costs / limited insurance options

Cheers

Dave

1 - 20 of 36 Posts