Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience re mapping the Petrol engine. Does it void warranty. How is Skoda UK with this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure about skoda, but my last car was a new insignia. I called the people who dealt with the warranty and even using a vauxhall approved remapper, it would be void.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yes it will, one of the exclusions within their warranty states:

Exclusions. Types of damage not covered by the warranty include, but are not limited to:

" Components, equipment or software (including any unapproved modifications to engine management software) which are not part of the vehicle at the point of original manufacture."

Additionally you Should declare this to you insurers otherwise it could void any claim as its legally a modification.

Chances are that nobody will notice or check, but the risks are there.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Savage said:
Check a reputable remapping companies website, and the answers are there :)
http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/Tuning-FAQ
I know this is a little off subject as its not remapping however I needed to replace the front screen on my Octavia vRS due to a stone chip, Essentially the repair company wanted to replace the screen with a 3rd party glass, exactly the same as Skoda's and probably from the same production line however Skoda told me that any warranty claim relating to the new screen or damage to any part of the vehicle due to the new (non-Skoda) screen such as water ingress will be rejected.

Additionally the repair company refused to underwrite anything related to the camera system (mounted on the front screen, behind the rear view mirror), Skoda wanted to charge £80+ to recalibrate the camera system and my insurers didn't want to pay. This was on a standard specification car, no mods.

I guess the moral of this and how it relates to the question is that the simple things are usually far more complicated than they should be. I would expect Skoda to reject engine warranty claims if someone has been reprogramming the ECU.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Only if they can prove the ECU remap caused the issue.
In the case of your screen, they would only reject any warranty claim if it was caused by the non OEM screen replacement.
As for your insures, tell them in no uncertain terms, it will affect the warranty so I want it repaired to manufacturer specs, its your choice of were to get the work done, this applies to any accident claim.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I must admit, when I first inquired about the engine power at the dealers, the first salesman told me that the 150 and the 190 Diesel engines were identical in every way except the software and remapping could be done. When I mentioned to him that this would surely invalidate the warranty, he suggested that some remapping can be 'wound back" to factory for the purposes of servicing and emissions testing. Admittedly, he did confess to being a "Ford man". I didn't waste any more of my time and returned to the dealers on his day off.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
WHY??
I just cannot see the point. You want to go faster? Buy the bigger engine. You want sports car performance? Buy a sports Car not an SUV.
VAG TSi engines are pretty highly stressed anyway to produce the BHP and torque they do. Adding more stress may well cost you dear in the long run. Probably a week or so after the warranty expires!! :lol: ( have you ever seen a crankcase with a con rod through the side? NOT a pretty sight!)
Many insurance companies don't want to know a remapped car. Aviva for one!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Well, it looks like he'll have to wait for the RS by your logic... For tuning a family SUV literally nobody expects it to become an Audi SQ7 or GLS 63 AMG, however even after driving the 140kW TDI I still would've liked Skoda to have put the 177kW BiTDI in it.

Re engine stress, I have a mate with a 2014 Audi RS6 tuned from 560hp to 700hp after running the car in, and there has literally been no issue since delivery. I'm willing to bet a grand that he'd have no issue if a reliable tuner tuned his 2.0 TSI from 132kW/320Nm to the 162kW/350Nm tune. I've never seen a newer (2000+) VAG car have such a bad mechanical failure like a crankcase with a conrod through the side from a small tune... Perhaps you could show me?

I ended up driving a 1.4 and yes - it does the job but it's anything but quick. Punted around town alright though. I get that it's fast enough for you but I don't know how you can't see why some people would be inclined to tune.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am with you Zach. I'm just looking for better performance and economy probably. We don't have an option of a bigger engine. Not talking about a race car performance here. Can't see the downside at all.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Each unto their own :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
daveskis said:
I am with you Zach. I'm just looking for better performance and economy probably. We don't have an option of a bigger engine. Not talking about a race car performance here. Can't see the downside at all.
"Drivability" is the issue for me personally.
For a car of this size and top-heaviness the 2.0 tsi is fine. What I DO find irritating though is the programmed slow response when I want instant acceleration - sometimes for safety reasons to get out of someone else's way.
As soon as they market an accelerator pedal gizmo for the Kodiaq I'm havin' one.

Hey - just checked with Race Chip Tuning and they're now doing them -
https://www.racechip.co.uk/shop/skoda/kodiaq-from-2016/2-0-tsi-1984ccm-179hp-132kw-280nm.html
Got mine ordered!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I don't know if I'm odd (no comments required ta! :lol: :lol: )
I find the acceleration from 50-70 extremely rapid with no lag at all in Normal mode as long as you use kick down. O.K. you get quite pronounced lag in ECO. But I have decided that ECO is a waste of time. I would rather NOT bother to save £4.75 per tank full and have more driving satisfaction.
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/423600-carwows-surprising-0-62-test-result/
I do know that the Kodiaq1.4 DSG is much faster through the gears than my 1.2 DSG Yetis. in spite of the weight differential & the more aerodynamic profile of the K.
Power to weight ratios.
Yeti 1.2 DSG SE L 110 BHP 86bhp per tonne.
Kodiaq 1.4 DSG SE L 148BHP 96bhp per tonne

·
Registered
503 Posts
KodiaqPetrolHead said:
Drivability" is the issue for me personally.
For a car of this size and top-heaviness the 2.0 tsi is fine. What I DO find irritating though is the programmed slow response when I want instant acceleration - sometimes for safety reasons to get out of someone else's way.
I suspect that's partly down to the economy minded DSG response in normal mode, and possibly partly down to the variable cam timing on the 2.0 Tsi.
Be interested to hear if the throttle box helps.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Savage's -
I"I suspect that's partly down to the economy minded DSG response in normal mode, and possibly partly down to the variable cam timing on the 2.0 Tsi."
I'm certain it's programmed in to achieve a lower environmental tax bracket, like stop-start. A bloody nuisance.
I don't know much about variable timing to be honest, although 20 years ago I raced an MGf which had VVC - that was programmed to make it go like stink!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Savage said:
Be interested to hear if the throttle box helps.
They do make a big difference as its removes the lag that has been built in.

Colin what people think is fast is very subjective, this is why different power outputs are offered.

Buy the biggest engine you can and then if it's not enough remap it, this will gain drivability and return slightly better economy at the same time.

·
Registered
503 Posts
What is involved in fitting one ?
I did check the link but no details were shown.
Presumably as it doesn't increase power, it won't affect insurance costs.

@KodiakpetrolHead, did you just order the box, or with the controller as well ?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Unplug the throttle pedal, plug in the box then plug the OE plug into the box, 5 mins work.

No it will not alter the power output, it just removes the lag.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Has my engine self-remapped?
Since about 6,000 miles (10,000 km) my engine has found some additional eagerness, and a throaty growl when accelerating through 2,000rpm.
Anyone else noticed this?
I have been told by someone in the business that engine management software throttles-down during an initial "running in" period.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I doubt the validity of your information about VAG remapping after a "run in" period (but am happy to be proved wrong).
Mine is certainly feeling like it is loosening up a little and its only on 2400 miles, so I guess yours is just further along :)
FWIW when I had the petrol vRS, the only thing that disappointed was the engine sound (had the sound generator disabled), but after 2k ish it started to sound a lot "growlier". The K has sounded decent from the beginning for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts