Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering the Kodiaq, although want to wait until the end of the month and see them in the flesh first.

Thinking about engine and other options and looking for some advice:

My summary for context:
- 8000 miles per year. 50% town, 50% long motorway trips
- No towing requirements
- No offroad requirements
- Car will usually be loaded with 2 adults and 2 small children, but fairly regular additions of grantparents means I want 7 seats
- Planning on keeping car for 5+ years

Current thinking is Edition spec - justification leather seats, metallic paint, 7 seats are all must haves for me, so better economy getting the edition

Engine = 2.0 TSI. I'm pushed for petrol as my millage is fairly low, and I'm worried diesel being taxed out of existence within years I keep it for. 1.4 TSI would probably be fine, but spending an extra 5% or so on the better engine gets you a lot more power. I was also worried that when fully loaded with passengers and luggage it may be sluggish with just 1.4.

Extra options - key for me is some of the parking convenience and cameras but a bit confused about what is included within each option. I also notice that the configuration has changed in the last week as you can no longer select aerial view without selecting parking or front sensors. I understand the car has rear sensors as standard, what extra do you get with Park Assist, Front+Rear, Aerial cameras etc? Seems a lot of overlap.

Any other must have options that people are going for?
Cheers.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Explorer101 said:
You have exactly same situation as mine. Please refer to following discussions

http://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=282
http://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=257

I finally ordered 1.4 TSI 4WD with child pack, front sensors, back camers, ariel view and park assist (mainly for my wife)*.
But now one part of me is saying, if I have come this far why not get extra power by upgrading to 2.0 tsi 4wd.
*I have heard of living dangerously! I should employ a food taster if I were you! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would recommend SE L spec and add the options you need. Leather upholstery is only £300 more, and metallic paint is £600 or so. Doesn't justify the extra £2000+ premium on the Edition. 7 seats are standard on SE L too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
bigboss said:
I would recommend SE L spec and add the options you need. Leather upholstery is only £300 more, and metallic paint is £600 or so. Doesn't justify the extra £2000+ premium on the Edition. 7 seats are standard on SE L too.
But then if you try to add Ariel view to SE L, it would ask for mandatory Lane Assist to be added for extra £900. Then suddenly Edition becomes a better choice with some more extras like electric front seats (£1000 if added on SE L), high beam assist etc.

·
Registered
289 Posts
meduk1 said:
My summary for context:
- 8000 miles per year. 50% town, 50% long motorway trips
- No towing requirements
- No offroad requirements
- Car will usually be loaded with 2 adults and 2 small children, but fairly regular additions of grantparents means I want 7 seats
- Planning on keeping car for 5+ years

Current thinking is Edition spec - justification leather seats, metallic paint, 7 seats are all must haves for me, so better economy getting the edition

Engine = 2.0 TSI. I'm pushed for petrol as my millage is fairly low, and I'm worried diesel being taxed out of existence within years I keep it for. 1.4 TSI would probably be fine, but spending an extra 5% or so on the better engine gets you a lot more power. I was also worried that when fully loaded with passengers and luggage it may be sluggish with just 1.4.

Extra options - key for me is some of the parking convenience and cameras but a bit confused about what is included within each option. I also notice that the configuration has changed in the last week as you can no longer select aerial view without selecting parking or front sensors. I understand the car has rear sensors as standard, what extra do you get with Park Assist, Front+Rear, Aerial cameras etc? Seems a lot of overlap.

Any other must have options that people are going for?
Cheers.
I thought about the difference between SE L and Edition too. In the end I went with edition as it had more safety gear for my family, and alcantara maintenance with young children isn't great to say the least. A shame Skoda won't downgrade leather seats to fabric which I would have preferred than animal skin. Fabric maintenance is much easier than alcantara.

For what it is worth, I think the child pack and extra isofix in the front passenger seat are useful options. I don't need a 3rd isofix seat for now but it future proofs my car...

As for engine, either petrol options are sensible. Just don't be tempted to go for a diesel.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I agree with Moominpapa.
If you are keeping it for 5 years it is my opinion that diesel residuals will fall through the floor in that time. Due to the current anti-diesel feelings.
I have ordered the 1.4DSG. Having had 3 1.2 DSG Yeties. I have found their power and performance more than adequate. Having a turbo it equates to a 2 litre naturally aspirated engine. The 1.4DSG Kodiaq is 148bhp against the 110bhp of the current Yeti. The Kodiaq is nearly 2 seconds quicker to 62 than the Yeti. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the reply's guys, and I've read the links previously shared with interest.

Still edging towards 2.0 TSI. I did the maths a few weeks ago and it was something like paying an extra 5% for the car but getting 30% more power so made sense to me. I think I'm right in saying that the 2.0 also comes with the 7 speed DSG rather than 6 on the 1.4's.

Will need to play around with SE L + Upgrades vs Edition but want to wait for the configurator to stabilise as the change on types of camera / sensor options has changed in the last week and adds on a fair chunk to cost options.

Child pack, Aerial View (with whatever combinations of extra's I need to add to get it) are going to be a must. ISOFix in the front is interesting, does anyone know if the 2 seats in the boot have ISO points?

Very keen to see these in the flesh at the end of the year. I'm toying with either a new Kodiaq or a used Q7 at the moment. Currently thinking that as I'm keeping the car for 5 years the Kodiaq will likely be the better option, but want to try it out first.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Hello Meduk.
Welcome to the forum.
Can you add you location to your profile please. Town will do. It will help if ever there are any queries dependent on location.
Thanks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
No Isofix on rear 2 seats.
Just for reference, this is my order:

TSi 2.0 DSG 4x4 Edition
DCC
Area View
Tri Zone CC
Heated windscreen + Heated washer nozzles
Adaptive cruise
Ambient lighting
Canton
Space saver spare
Electronic rear child locks (with sunblinds and wastebins).
Remote rear seat lever
Media command
Textile floor mats
4 year warranty
Service pack 3

Don't forget edition has extra's above the SE-L inc free met paint, HBA, Lane assist etc.
To build like for like specs with an SE-L would have been £500 more.

Not sure about the Q7, you would need to check out interior space as the Q5 is no were near the space inside the Kodiaq has and TBH no better inside in quality terms IMO. Do they even do a petrol Q7 ?
FWIW I looked at most of the competition under 40K, and came to the conclusion the K ticked the most boxes for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are totally paralysed with indecision regarding Kodiaq engine choice and hope someone can help us please.

My husband's job as a diplomat in Brussels means that we are entitled to buy a Tax Free RHD Car. That is a huge privilege but the downside is that we are separated from our children at boarding schools and university in UK. I am constantly driving back and forth to keep in touch with them and elderly relatives. We need a large family car capable of doing long motorway driving in all weather conditions and carrying up to 7 passengers and/or masses of luggage too. From time to time we also tow a trailer or carry bikes and a roof box!

Last year we decided that the Skoda Kodiaq would be the most affordable and capable SUV in its class. We put a deposit down on a new RHD 2.0 Tdi Edition 190 PS 4WD because it delivered power, economy, comfort and safety in a value package. We decided on 4WD because we want to take the car skiing too and winters can be really bad out here; 2WD and Winter Tyres just seemed a compromise. We plan to sell our new Kodiaq when we return to UK in 3 years time.

We have heard so many scare stories about tax, depreciation and city bans on diesel that we now question whether we should be ordering a diesel or whether no one will want it in 3 years time? We have looked at the website www.NextGreenCar.com/new-car-search and it actually appears to score the Kodiaq diesels 'greener' than the petrols! That website also suggests that the diesel v petrol decision should be made according to class of car, i.e. people will continue to choose diesel motors for heavy load-lugging SUVs in preference to petrols for saloon cars and sports cars. In a few years time when more hybrid options are available perhaps the situation will change. In Management Today there is a great article on "Counting the cost of dieselgate"; it sounds like any one buying a new car with an EU6-rated diesel engine (standard from 2014) really should have nothing to fear in terms of pollution as long as they do long journeys and therefore allow the Diesel Particulate Filter to work properly. HMG's road tax changes hardly even impact the choice of engine after the first year and therefore provide no steer either.

If we could but an electric or hybrid Kodiaq now we would (perhaps, in 3 years time). In the interim do we choose diesel or petrol?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don't see anything wrong with your choice... I would pick what you have with your circumstances.. Good choice.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree, for your driving the diesel is most suited.
There is lots of press speculation, but I feel its sensationlized.
Without the benefit of crystal ball, we cant say if diesel residuals will be hit in 3 years, but even if they are your tax free purchase will take the sting out of it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had an easy decision based on the low miles I do and how much I love petrol over diesel having owned both. It is down to how you plan to use your Kodiaq that should influence the engine that you maybe better off with. If it is towing or running heavy carrying loads, I can appreciate the sense of diesel; if I had to carry heavier loads more often than I intend to then the highest displacement petrol would be my choice. That's just my personal preference. Yours might be diesel and that's okay.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
For your needs and inspite of being an ardent petrol, as opposed to diesel , head. I think you have made the right choice.
If you do intend to get a Kodiaq hybrid then I'm sure that your SKODA dealer will be kind to you.
When the Yeti first appeared they were so popular that the orders went out to 12 months!!
I expect similar to happen with the Kodiaq. I think the residuals to be very good may even be a premium to begin with.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have just noticed that the 1.4 tsi in 4wd dsg guise does not get the cylinder deactivation. Cylinder deactivation is only on the 1.4 tsi in 2wd dsg or manual 4wd.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
meduk1 said:
Thanks for all the reply's guys, and I've read the links previously shared with interest.

Still edging towards 2.0 TSI. I did the maths a few weeks ago and it was something like paying an extra 5% for the car but getting 30% more power so made sense to me. I think I'm right in saying that the 2.0 also comes with the 7 speed DSG rather than 6 on the 1.4's.

Will need to play around with SE L + Upgrades vs Edition but want to wait for the configurator to stabilise as the change on types of camera / sensor options has changed in the last week and adds on a fair chunk to cost options.

Child pack, Aerial View (with whatever combinations of extra's I need to add to get it) are going to be a must. ISOFix in the front is interesting, does anyone know if the 2 seats in the boot have ISO points?

Very keen to see these in the flesh at the end of the year. I'm toying with either a new Kodiaq or a used Q7 at the moment. Currently thinking that as I'm keeping the car for 5 years the Kodiaq will likely be the better option, but want to try it out first.
Yes, the 2.0 TSI has the 7-speed DSG over the 6-speed in the 1.4's. Also, the 3rd row doesn't have ISOFIX mounting points unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Moomin & Zach,
Skoda seem to move in mysterious ways don't they?
I don't really see why the 4X4 1.4 does not have cylinder de-activation Perhaps it is not deemed powerful enough dragging the extra weight of the 4WD axle and extra gubbins to warrant it???
As far as the 6 speed DSG on the 1.4 and the 7 on the 2.0. It seems bonkers to me. I would have thought that the more torque it had the fewer gears it would need. I have always had 7 DSG on all my Skoda 1.2s. So I shall be intrigued to see how the 6er performs.
I must admit though that I am not sorry mine has the 6er as, on the Yeti forum, any complaints about DSGs have all been (very few admittedly) on the 7 speed. I have not seen one adverse comment on the 6er. My last Yeti had a very strange 'grunt' when changing from 2-3 and eventually from 3-4 as well. A long winded hunt on the web eventually found a Polish video on YouT with exactly the same thing.
It came to nothing and since I only keep my cars a year it did not concern me. It appeared to be restricted to a 14 year build. Nobody has reported anything since. Rather like the 15 year build mis-parking rear wipers on Yetis. Probably due to a duff load of wiper motors.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts