Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When buying a car this is the big thing for me! As it was with choosing the Kodiaq.

I'm always a bit torn between fuel economy and what I want!

When I test drove the Kodiaq I wanted to try the 1.4 AWD manual which I did and I have to say I was really impressed with it, it was smooth with plenty of power. The economy was showing 42mpg but in real world use I would probable get 30-35. I like the eco mode and all in all I was impressed.

I then went back and tried the 2L Diesel DSG AWD this was lovely, plenty of power for what I need and loads of low end torque, something the petrol lacked. Most of my driving will be open roads and duel carriage ways with the odd long haul to Prague and back loaded to the eyeballs.

It was a tough choice and I eventually went for the Diesel AWD but in manual. I know there is a bit of a war looming on Diesel and I expect it to go up but I figure the extra MPG will offset some of this and for me the pleasure of driving something I like is worth paying the extra for!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am the reverse. I looked at the diesel (having had seven diesel XTrails over the years - and was getting 46mpg in the 1.6 automatic version) but with diesels being attacked from all sides and of the uncertainty of the future I have opted for the Kodiaq 2.0 TSI 180ps Edition DSG. I would have stayed with Nissan but for the fact that there is no petrol/automatic option (with family in Scotland - the M6 is a pain with a manual gearbox. I searched high and low for a similar petrol vehicle ....and then along came Kodiaq. Delivery is due second/third week in May. I await with baited breath.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My attraction to the Skodiaq was BECAUSE you could get petrol ones. I wanted petrol as driving a diesel is now seen as bad as driving along in a car covered in baby panda skins... as a London cyclist I'm beginning to hate diesels quite a bit.
Dealer tried to convince me the 1.4 was enough.... no way!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mid 30s mpg. Hoping it will go to low 40s on a run when loosened up.

I'm quite heavy footed though - never did manage to get 50mpg out of my 2.0 4x4 Octavia. My nephew drove it part way back from Switzerland and proudly got 53mpg out of it - though we nearly missed the damn ferry!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Highly likely i would think.
I think early adopters have, to a certain degree, been used as Guinea pigs.
Dropping colours, bringing in upgrades after only a couple of months.
The 1.5tsi had been in V dubs since before the K arrived.
I think, may be wrong, that they had a load of 1.4tsi engines left and used them up on the K. So that once again, top dog VW gets all the new toys & poor old Skoda gets the hind tit as usual.
Judging by how the spec of all Skodas has been diminishing over the past few years, I get the feeling that VW are getting worried about Skoda's success and are reducing on goodies to try and persuade people moving up to buy a VW . But while VW are so much more expensive, I think they are wasting their time.

·
Registered
617 Posts
To be honest, in real world, there will be little to differentiate between a 1.4 and a 1.5 litre TSI.

·
Registered
149 Posts
To be honest I would probably gone for a diesel if it wasn't for the vilification of them in the press and in government and I feel that this agenda is not going to go away. My last cars were the new 1.9 diesel Octavia saloon, when they first came out. I kept it for 2 years and the opted for a 1.9 diesel estate which I kept for six and a half years before selling it for my present car a 1.7cdti 4x4 Vauxhall Mokka when I fancied a change which I have had for four years. Have now agreed to purchase a Skoda Kodiaq 1.4tsi 4x4. When I tried the 1.4tsi I was pleasantly surprised by its performance. Much of ones choice will be personal preference and what they will be doing it. I would suspect that most of whom have purchased the 1.4tsi have no intention of using the vehicle for towing or they would have chosen either, one of the diesel or the 2.0tsi. It is all about horses for courses.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after much debating with the wife and myself (first sign of madness I know) I'm asked the dealer to redo my figures for a petrol 1.4tsi 4x4

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Good thinking (as far as I am concerned. As long as you don't want a sports car (which some members seem to expect) I think you will be well chuffed with it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Good thinking (as far as I am concerned. As long as you don't want a sports car (which some members seem to expect) I think you will be well chuffed with it.
This is a family car, we have a Mini Cooper convertible and I have a motorcycle for my thrills! :D

The engine change has saved me almost £1700 which would take me the best part of 4 years to get back with the mileage I'm doing. No DPF worries and no additives...not that I expect them!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just came back from the dealer. After my questions concerning the engine choices and the 1.5 tsi being announced for the Karoq he asked the central office.

It appears the 1.5 TSI will be available mid 2018 with a 7 speed DSG. They probably phase out the 1.4TSI 6 speed DSG.

Leaves two questions: rather wait and buy a new 1.5 tsi or stick with the 1.4 which has been around for quite a few years now. I kind of fear the problems that come with a new engine, looking at the PAST troubles with oil usage and distribution chains concerning the tsi engines.

And what are the main differences between the 6 and 7 speed DSG boxes? I read somewhere one of them has a ''wet'' coupling?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hear that VAG are putting DPF's or GPF on their new 1.5 petrol engines! I would want to see how that works before I put my hand in my pocket. Not to mention the addition fuel cost.
I'm glad to have a reliable 1.4Tsi to be fair...

·
Registered
42 Posts
DPF - DIESEL particulates filter, see the DIESEL part in the name, not for petrol cars :p

You know the black smoke old diesel cars produce, that petrol ones don't -> that's called PM10 - particle matter 10 microns and larger aka soot.
Petrol engines don't produce this and so don't require a DPF (or GPF for that matter).

It's down to the chemical composition, petrol burns richer and doesn't produce PM10, diesel burns leaner -> if you rev a diesel engine it will produce less PM10 and the heat will clean/regenerate the DPF -> highway driving.

Don't understand why VW would add ANY ADDITIONAL filters to petrol engines, or diesel ones for that matter, because the current 1.4 TSI (and all their engines) is an EU6 standard engine. EU6 standard was accepted in 2015/16 so there are currently no plans for EU7 standard until at least 2022.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Both 6-speed and 7-speed DSG are wet clutch packs. The difference is in the torque transfer.

6-speed is the DQ250 with 350Nm max torque
7-speed is the DQ500 with the 600Nm max torque + and additional gear that actualy is only for cruising, when you accelerate it downshifts to 6th

All 6-speed DSG boxes are getting replaced by the 7-speed ones in the near future and 7-speeds are going to be industry standard for another 15 years or so, because the ZF 9-speed transmission proved, that more gears means cars need to travel faster to actualy use them all.

Nowadays, even Jeremy Clarckson has a diesel -> why you ask? Because before all the vegans were about the diesel over petrol, now they are petrol/electric over diesel thx to VW-geddon. There is no better feeling than driving with a diesel through a crowd of vegans. They get so pissed off at you, i even turn off the Start/stop function when idling just to piss them off more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brown_bear said:
DPF - DIESEL particulates filter, see the DIESEL part in the name, not for petrol cars :p

You know the black smoke old diesel cars produce, that petrol ones don't -> that's called PM10 - particle matter 10 microns and larger aka soot.
Petrol engines don't produce this and so don't require a DPF (or GPF for that matter).

It's down to the chemical composition, petrol burns richer and doesn't produce PM10, diesel burns leaner -> if you rev a diesel engine it will produce less PM10 and the heat will clean/regenerate the DPF -> highway driving.

Don't understand why VW would add ANY ADDITIONAL filters to petrol engines, or diesel ones for that matter, because the current 1.4 TSI (and all their engines) is an EU6 standard engine. EU6 standard was accepted in 2015/16 so there are currently no plans for EU7 standard until at least 2022.
Yes I'm well aware what a DPF does but you You might want to ask VW why they are doing it for petrol cars... but they are planning to... :D

The clue is in the wording "Gasoline Particle Filter" hence GPF not DPF

Perhaps a quick Google search on the matter in question would have helped enlighten you before you put finger to key board... so I've done it for you... enjoy! :lol:

Have a look at this

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/volkswagen-gpf-particulate-filter-petrol-cars

http://www.lubricants.total.com/news/new-gasoline-particulate-filters-gpf.html

https://www.volkswagen-media-services.com/en/detailpage/-/detail/Volkswagen-Group-introduces-particulate-filter-for-petrol-engines/view/3813262/7a5bbec13158edd433c6630f5ac445da?p_p_auth=99AZpk8g

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Brown Bear, did you get the PM I sent you? If not I will try again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts