Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given my mileage is 10k per year I am going to opt for a petrol. Not sure whether to go with the 1.4 tsi 150bhp or spend more on the 2.0 tsi

Initial reviews of the 1.4 tsi 150 in the Kodiaq seem to be favourable. Just not sure how that will cope when the car is full of people.

Any views on whether the 2.0 tsi would be worth the extra spend?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Be careful with the 2.0L it is much 'dirtier' so will cost a lot more in the first year to tax , but £140 p.a. thereafter as will all cars, assuming registered after 1/4/17.
Also quite a lot thirstier.
As far as I can see (21 years with SHELL UK Retail) Diesel has had it. I think it will be taxed out of existence within the next 5 years. Some councils are already deciding to ban ALL diesels from city centres. Renault ar going to drop all diesel engines in the near future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colin - not sure if the info I have tracked down is correct but if it is the first year tax on 1.4 Tsi 150 4x4 auto will be the same as 2.0 tsi 4x4 auto. I think they would both be £500 in first year. The 2.0tsi looks like 170g co2 so scrapes into the same April 2017 ved band as the 1.4tsi

Did the info you received from your Skoda contacts include the co2 ratings. I would be grateful if you could send me any info you have. Many thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Colin, which engine are you going for? I would normally head for the higher powered diesel with a mileage of 12k per year but I am now not sure.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
I'm undecided whether to get the 140kW TDI or the 132kW TSI. Here in New Zealand the running costs (fuel costs & taxation) of the petrol is literally just $50 more than the diesel, and that's without adding in the AdBlue stuff. I currently drive a 2008 T31 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 petrol and a 2012 Subaru WRX and I've been driving petrol my whole life which is why I'm leaning towards the petrol. I drive 15,000 km a year on average so I don't think the diesel would be worth the price hike.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Guy said:
Colin - not sure if the info I have tracked down is correct but if it is the first year tax on 1.4 Tsi 150 4x4 auto will be the same as 2.0 tsi 4x4 auto. I think they would both be £500 in first year. The 2.0tsi looks like 170g co2 so scrapes into the same April 2017 ved band as the 1.4tsi

Did the info you received from your Skoda contacts include the co2 ratings. I would be grateful if you could send me any info you have. Many thanks.
Guy,
Here are the figures for all petrol engines.
If you compare the Co2 levels with the post 1/4/17 RFL you will see that the 1.4 manual /DSG Co2 is 139/143 and consumption 46/44combined.
The 2.0L manual/DSG Co2 is 163/170. consumption combined is 39.8/38.2
This means that the post 1/4/17 RFL (& lets face it, the chance of being registered before that date is rapidly vanishing over the horizon as the order input system is STILL NOT working!) will be for the 1.4 Manual or DSG is £200 first year and £140 thereafter. and for the 2.0L manual or DSG BUT mandatory 4WD will be £500 first year and £140 thereafter. Unless you are towing or lugging 6 passengers around I would (& have) gone for the 1.5 DSG 2WD. see below for new tax bands.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ordered the 190ps diesel over a month ago, but with all the talk now about diesel charges by local councils etc I'm having 2nd thoughts. Now thinking about the 180ps Petrol. Spoke to the dealer this morning to get them to work out the difference in cost on pcp between the two. I'm really worried that in the next couple of years the Government will change the Road Tax system again, away from Co2 and over to Nox. I think that Diesels are going to be hammered within the 5 years or so, and eventually even the Euro6 spec models will suffer. What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Think you may be right. So this time have gone for petrol, albeit the 1.4 150PS version.

It's a shame as I love the combination of lots of torque with an auto box, makes for relaxing drive

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean. You can have the DSG on a1.4 150BHP? It is only the small 1.4 125BHP which is Manual.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If diesel is indeed banned from city centres then the cities will simply die, due to no goods and many buses not being able to get there.
Yes I can see them banning all but EU6 engines but not those.

A few people have commented on the 1.4TSi (150 PS) in larger vehicles... they are fine with one or two passengers, but load them up with passengers or luggage or start to tow with them and they struggle.

ATEOTD if you will not be carrying several people / luggage or need to tow then do you really need such a large vehicle anyway?

Colin it's hardly a fair comparison between a 1.4 125 PS 2WD manual and the 2.0 180 PS 4x4 DSG is it? they are two totally different drive trains.

Guy in your situation I wouldn't give it a second though... 2.0 180 PS all day long:
the RFL is the same,
fuel economy is almost identical (no doubt fully loaded the 180 may even be more fuel efficient as it will not be working as hard)
and the maximum performance also comes in 1100 rpm earlier, making for a more relaxed drive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
Not quite sure what you mean. You can have the DSG on a1.4 150BHP? It is only the small 1.4 125BHP which is Manual.
I have gone for a DSG box on the 1.4TSI, what I meant was I like the combination of a diesels torque combined with an auto.

However it has been 10 yes since I owned petrol car, so hopefully with modern petrol engines the difference won't be too much

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I am on my 4th 1.2DSG 1 Fabia estate & 3 Yetis Yeti, they are wonderful engines and all the reported of the 1.4 DSG 150bhp Kodiaq are very good.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Errr Am I being daft??
I was comparing 1.4 125bhp with 1.4 DSG 150bhp
1.4 2WD DSG Co2 is 143 Combined consumption 44.8 base price SE L £28,595
2.0 4WS DSG Co2 is 170 Combined consumption 39.8 base price SE L £31,445
Since I will only ever be carrying SWMBO + two Lurchers Max and more often only me with 1 hound I think I have made the right choice.
Some of the insurance groups. I can't see why the 4WD is a group lower than the 2WD?
From Parkers.
SE L Insurance
Group
SE L 1.4 TSI ACT 150PS 4x4 (7 seats) 5d 15
SE L 1.4 TSI ACT 150PS 4x4 DSG auto (7 seats) 5d 15
SE L 1.4 TSI ACT 150PS DSG auto (7 seats) 5d 16
SE L 2.0 TDI SCR 150PS 4x4 (7 seats) 5d 17
SE L 2.0 TDI SCR 150PS 4x4 DSG auto (7 seats) 5d 17
SE L 2.0 TDI SCR 150PS DSG auto (7 seats) 5d

·
Registered
314 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
Errr Am I being daft??
I was comparing 1.4 125bhp with 1.4 DSG 150bhp
Possibly, you did state 2.0 (which is what the OP was asking about) on more than one occasion:

Colin Lambert said:
Be careful with the 2.0L it is much 'dirtier' so will cost a lot more in the first year to tax , but £140 p.a. thereafter as will all cars, assuming registered after 1/4/17.
Also quite a lot thirstier.
Colin Lambert said:
If you compare the Co2 levels with the post 1/4/17 RFL you will see that the 1.4 manual /DSG Co2 is 139/143 and consumption 46/44combined.
The 2.0L manual/DSG Co2 is 163/170. consumption combined is 39.8/38.2
This means that the post 1/4/17 RFL (& lets face it, the chance of being registered before that date is rapidly vanishing over the horizon as the order input system is STILL NOT working!) will be for the 1.4 Manual or DSG is £200 first year and £140 thereafter. and for the 2.0L manual or DSG BUT mandatory 4WD will be £500 first year and £140 thereafter. Unless you are towing or lugging 6 passengers around I would (& have) gone for the 1.5 DSG 2WD. see below for new tax bands.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Gizmo,
Not quite sure what you are getting at. See mine 16/2 @ 10.42 above your last one. I thought I had answered Guys question fairly succinctly?
Guy was originally asking re 1.4TSi Vs 2.0 TSi
The consumption is higher the road tax in the first year is more expensive, on the 2.0L but irrelevant as price is included in total purchase. Then both are £140p.a. Also the 2.0TSi is 4wd , want it or not, which must be part of the extra £3k.
If he is traveling 7 up and or towing then I would agree that the extra £3K may be worth it. But as I said. It is overkill for my requirements. Speed is irrelevant for an old chap like me ;) . The 1.4 will be faster than My Yeti which suits me perfectly for my type of usage.
I am only upgrading as
1. I am a car nut,
2. I need a bigger boot for the hounds,
3. I really miss the sunroof I had in my last Yeti.
4. I belong to the 'SKI' club (Spending kids Inheritance! :lol: )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info you provided Colin.

Decided on the 2.0 TSi. I would like auto / 4wd, and as Gizmo points out there is not much diff in consumption between the 1.4tsi and the 2.0 tsi. Road tax is the same from year 2.

I haven't ordered yet - wanted to see it in the flesh first. Going to see one of the LHD cars in Glasgow tonight. If I do end up ordering one it looks like I will be in for a long wait.

If I get time at the weekend I am going to check my parents are not in the 'SKI' club

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
SKI' club :lol:
<COLOR color="#000000">Enjoy the VIP night in Glasgow. Full report appreciated by all, on your return please, Including any 'gems' from the Skoda person. can you ask about the rumour regarding dealers NOT being allowed to register any Kodiaqs before 6th April please?
Thanks.
C
</COLOR>

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've ordered the 2.0L 150PS Diesel engine for my SE L spec (DSG), but now I think I'll change it to 1.4L Petrol. Petrol engines are more refined anyway, and my mileage is likely going to be around 10000 miles per annum. Does anyone know at what RPM does the 1.4L Petrol (150PS) engine run when doing 70 mph in the top gear?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Afraid not. My Yeti has the 7speed and a 1.2 engine. I doubt if the figures you want can be found. I think with the anti derv feelings going on at the moment, you have made a very wise choice. The 1.2 DSg is considered to be as powerful as a 2litre naturally aspirated engine. 1.4 DSG Kodiaq 0-62 9.8 seconds.More than adequate to my mind. It doesn't pretend top be a sports car.

·
Registered
503 Posts
TBH I would say the 2.0 because in my opinion the real world figures for fuel consumption will be at least as good as a 1.4 as its not working so hard , assuming both are 4x4.
As the yanks often say, ain't no replacement for displacement ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts