Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can folks share their experiences of driving their Kodiaqs in different driving modes please? Including engine size and fuel type?

I had a blast driving on motorway and backroads in 'NORMAL' driving mode when I collected mine and initially found 'ECO' very frustrating as it seemed make the ride feel very sluggish, almost 'Citroen-like' :lol:

With a bit more patience, I've now comfortably switched to 'ECO' full time for day-to-day city and motorway driving and found it adequate - it also provides a more comfortable ride for my little VIPs.

My old car, a 1.6TDI ESG6 Citroen C4GP, consistently made a loss on mileage claims, leaving me personally out of pocket every time I drove somewhere on business (about 10k business miles per year). So, part of the reason for choosing the Skodiaq was that I needed a big family car but, if I was going to be making a loss, I wanted something that was also fun to drive which the Skodiaq does well.

Bizarrely though, with the Skodiaq's 2.0TDI engine being in a higher tier of mileage rates it looks like it might actually break even, despite being a heavier car with a larger engine! Mad. Good, but mad.

With all that in mind, I've really struggled to bring myself to use 'SPORT' driving mode so far. Perhaps on my next backroads trip.

What's other folks experiences?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I find sport mode highly unrefined. The 6 speed dsg in the 1.4 tsi becomes very jerky and noisy.

Normal also not refined enough for me compared to torque converters I have grown accustomed to and I spend little time in this now the engine has run in a bit.

Eco is the best balance for me in getting the refinement I am used to and minimising the jerky transitions with the dsg.

Before anyone asks, yes I knew the drawback of a dsg vs a torque converter.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Eco, never have, never will.
I use the individual option as I like the slightly heavier feel of the steering in sport, and for the roads I often drive, suspension in comfort.
DSG (or drive mode as its named in the infotainment) I mostly run sport for using rev range better, once I get to 1k miles probably be mostly normal and the odd stint in sport.
I don't find any issue with jerkiness, its a very smooth shift in either mode.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Savage,
I, and I'm sure others, would be very interested to hear your consumption, running a 2.0L in Sport. I would think you would be lucky to get more than 25mpg? Or am I wrong?
I use Eco all the time as most of my driving is urban so I can't be in too much of a rush as the traffic won't allow it.
Even when I travel to Sherborne (40 miles) I still use Eco and don't have any problems with it apart from a slight laggardly acceleration.
But then I am an 'old chap'!! so I'm not in a rush most of the time. I cruise at legal limits and don't accelerate madly.
I bought the Kodiaq for what it is. If I'd wanted a sports car I would have bought a Porsche!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Colin, I did mention it elsewere on the forums but the car is still under 800 miles so has room for improvement as we know with these engines.
On a 40-60 mile mostly a road and dual carriageway runs in sport mode I am getting 32-34 mpg. Given sport mode flat out refuses to use 7th gear at legal speeds and the tightness of the engine, I consider that decent.
I am only really using sport to help vary the revs during the first 1k miles, after that it will be in normal most of the time.
I fully expect in normal mode on the holiday run to be considerably better mpg ;)
Obviously cold start short town runs really hurt it, that's the only time I will see the sort of figures you mention, and TBH I don't switch it into sport doing those runs.
I agree its not a sports car, but that doesn't mean it has to be unresponsive. I like enough go to make brisk progress up to NSL, and safely pass those pesky vehicles doing 40mph on stretches of road were the posted 60 is perfectly safe.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Couldn't agree more with your last para.
My driving is all short cold runs , hence not buying an 'oiler' except for once a fortnight 40 mile trip to see SWMBO in Sherborne. + the odd journey and the ever increasing 40 mile round trips to my dealer to try and sort out the problems, which are really starting to bug me. I know they aren't important but paying £30K plus I really don't expect the crap electronics that my car is suffering from...and now the creaking door pull syndrome.
I get 34 round town if I go far enough to wind up the MFD I have now done 1220 miles. So yours is not doing as badly as I thought it would, bearing in mind tightness etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really interesting feedback folks. Learning a couple of things too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Old topic, but got my bear recently...

I really want to stay in ECO, but why did Skoda decide to put ACC (adaptive cruise control) reacceleration to 'quicker' than normal? That doesn't make any sens in an ECO mode.

Any chance someone found some VCDS coding to fix this?

·
Registered
159 Posts
sebxx said:
Old topic, but got my bear recently...

I really want to stay in ECO, but why did Skoda decide to put ACC (adaptive cruise control) reacceleration to 'quicker' than normal? That doesn't make any sens in an ECO mode.

Any chance someone found some VCDS coding to fix this?
Alternatively, can drive mode personalisation be added retrospectively? Assuming that allows you to configure Eco, Normal & Sport.

I like running it in sport mode, but don't do it often for obvious reasons.
I generally have it in Eco most of the time. I'd be interested to know if it does actually save much fuel compared to Normal, as it has some irritating features. I don't like the way the revs drop so much when coasting... as you can noticeably feel the momentum being killed off when you step on the throttle and the engine fires up again.

On M-way I use individual, with everything Eco except steering which I have on Sport. Based on some comments about the ACC, I might change that to Normal.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Eco mode doesn't deliver any huge benefits so I never use it as normal offers similar mpg and better engine control. Sports mode is hardly warp drive and normal mode is as good if you prempt the condition. Sport mode on my old vRS was impressive, on the Kodiaq less so which is probably a power to weight issue.

Snow mode is excellent and has proven itself over the last few weeks, we have about two foot snow outside which is drifting up to 4 foot. On many snowy roads it just kept on going and didn't faulted once, passing some other FWDs.

I also have a courtesy hire car at home, an AWD Santa Fe, in all respects the Kodiaq kicks it's ass. The Santa Fe is inferior in every mode and handles like a wheelbarrow of wet cement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As a workaround, I use mostly individual with the settings I prefer, but it's bad to have multiple choices that you're supposed to be able to switch to as you wish in only 2 taps, that you can not because some default values make no sense.

·
Registered
139 Posts
On my manual 2.0 150 diesel, the modes seem to make little difference.
The mpg made no difference whatsoever between normal and sport, so I just leave it in sport.

I'm curious those who say they prefer the better suspension of normal/eco, because I'm pretty sure the mode changes nothing on the suspension?

·
Registered
60 Posts
What is he improved fuel usage between eco and normal?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
In my experience ECO is a complete waste of time and merely a sop to keep the green brigade happy.
It made no difference whatsoever to my consumption and made the car unpleasant to drive.
Sport is IMHO a waste of time. It is NOT a sports car and for all the extra 'OOMPH" it guzzles fuel.
I leave mine in NORMAL but I do have the advantage of a RaceChip XLR pedal box which does not waste fuel but gets you off the line like a rocket, even on the 1.4. I currently have mine set to 'RACE'. RACE+ being just a bit too lairy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts