Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that when I start the car I have ECO selected and it shows "ECO" in the Infotainment but D1/D2 etc in the Maxi-dot.
Then if I go in and select ECO I get ECO on the Infotainment and Maxi-dot shows E1/E2 and just 'E' when coasting.

Is this normal behaviour and I missed something in the manual etc?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
In eco but with D showing. Does it continue to do this or does the D remain once you are in gear & moving? If what you describes pertains when driving, does it coast on the overrun? (watch the rev counter to confirm).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have exactly the same, mentioned it to the dealer on Sunday. He was not familiar with it, but understood that the mode selector will always default back to Drive, rather than eco or sport after switching off. It seems that the infotainment system is incorrect, because the D that shows up in the dash remains with an in gear selection and the revs stay up, even though the infotainment is showing eco. I have to go into mode selection every time I start and select eco again - rather irritating really.

As far as I can tell it does seem to remember the steering setting though, if I set the individual to eco with sport steering, next time I switch on it still seems to be in sports steering but not in eco gear selection.

I imagine this is something to do with wanting the engine to warm up normally before operating it in a more extreme mode, but in which case it would be nice if it went back to the preselected mode later. Not retaining the mode was exactly the same on my BMW.

If you know a way round this I would love to know, because this is top of my simply stupid list about the car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK - at least it's not just me then!

I will continue to "play" to see if there is a way around it. Might have to resort to getting my friend's VCDS cable out.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Eco doesn't really save much fuel.....I think Colin Lambert posted his findings elsewhere.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also read Colin's summary about economy. I wasn't really advocating the use of ECO just another one of those "Simply Unclever" features.
I will tinker further.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I haven't bothered with E at all since my previous comments. Now Pooh Bear has done 3500miles it is loosening up and I regularly get 32 round town.
I may give E a go again over the next few days for a 'loosened up' comparison. Then report back.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I went onto E this morning and then when I went out this afternoon it was STILL in Eco.
Perhaps yet another change between MY17 & 18?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Actually E always stays E but maxi-dot shows D1-7 instead of E1-7. I have to switch to anther mode and back to ECO to see E1-7 gears.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The DSG gearbox goes back to D if the engine is turned off for any length of time, it always has done on DSG cars with Drive Mode Select.

If it is only turned off for a few minutes the gearbox will stay in E or S

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
andyvee said:
The DSG gearbox goes back to D if the engine is turned off for any length of time, it always has done on DSG cars with Drive Mode Select.

If it is only turned off for a few minutes the gearbox will stay in E or S
If you re-read my post above, you will see that I used my car this morning at 0930 in Eco, went home at 10.45 and restarted the car at 16.05 this afternoon and Maxidot was still in Eco & car was driving in Eco. The only thing I can put the differences down to is a variation between my 17& 18.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also Colin is your DSG a 6 or 7 speed?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
6 speed unfortunately! And it still started up in E this morning with no input from me and the 'mode' switch was illuminated.

What I have noticed is that it is far more drivable in E now that I have the RacechipXLR fitted. I had not used E since before fitting the XLR. and part of the poor experience of E was an even worse throttle lag than when in D.
I shall persevere using E and report back re consumption after my weekend trip.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anyone know how the VCDS "Audi" mode throttle response setting compares to a pedal box? I'm wondering if the VCDS setting is enough to stop the lag, or if I should look at a box.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Completed weekend trip.
Outbound 39.1mpg running in Eco, exactly same route on return running on D (and yes hills do roughly equate in both directions) 46.7mpg.
The only difference was that on the return I had the roof and drivers window open for the whole journey, which in theory makes the consumption worse, but by how much, I know not! Also of course, I have the Racechip XLR fitted, I doubt it made much difference apart from the fact that in ECO I had to push the 'go' pedal harder to do anything. In D the response occurred with less pressure on the accelerator. QED, less petrol.
So as far as I am concerned Eco is a marketing gimmick and a waste of money, sImply bowing and scraping to the 'Green' brigade, It also makes the car less responsive and less fun to drive and the Kodiaq is such a delight to drive, who cares about consumption anyway as long as it is within required parameters.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Eco mode is useful when driving downhill but a total crap when driving uphill. I did make some tests and with a proper combination of eco and comfort I had 6.2 l per 100 km.

Today I took my family to a famous Slovenian stud farm Lipica and just look at my consumption (whole time in comfort mode, driving by rules with acc).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
That's 44.1376mpg, for the rest of us.
Nearly as good as my 46.7mpg PETROL. ;) :lol: He-he! (6.048842L/100Km)
Can I see a derv Vs petrol competition ensuing here?
I must admit. for a 1.5 ton (1524Kg) brick, I am MOST impressed with the consumption now it is starting to loosen up. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So my bear has 216 miles on the clock and has mostly done school runs.
However I did get the opportunity to drive it (for a change!) and had a quick poodle long the motorway for about 10 minutes and achieved the following:

Screenshot Font Slope Terrestrial plant Technology

Not too bad for a 2.0 petrol lump so early in its life.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts