Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand if I knock the stick to the left from D it puts it into Sport where I can nudge up and down gears. Is this the only way to drive in Sport or will it still drive like an automatic if I want it to?

I'd have a proper play with it but I'm a fair distance from having the car run in and I don't want to inadvertently red line it. This will bug me until I know :?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
When in knock the gear selector back once and you'll go into Sport mode for the transmission. You can also go into sport with the drive mode selector.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Knocking the stick to the Left puts it in what's best described as 'Manual' (or as Manual as a DSG gets). This enables you to emulate all those touring/rally/performance car heroes you always wanted to be... although the shift 'pattern' is backwards compared to all the 'proper' sequential box race cars.. (and yes, I've driven a couple)

Sport mode is engaged by putting it in drive, then pulling back on the shifter and releasing it (just tap it back and let it spring back) This will hold onto the rev's longer in each gear. Getting it back into 'D' is just a matter repeating the above.

A tip I've used for sport mode for is hill descent; when rolling down a hill switch the box into sport... the box will drop a gear (or two) so enabling better engine braking and avoiding cooked brakes..

Phil

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MuddyFunster said:
Hi,

Knocking the stick to the Left puts it in what's best described as 'Manual' (or as Manual as a DSG gets). This enables you to emulate all those touring/rally/performance car heroes you always wanted to be... although the shift 'pattern' is backwards compared to all the 'proper' sequential box race cars.. (and yes, I've driven a couple)

Sport mode is engaged by putting it in drive, then pulling back on the shifter and releasing it (just tap it back and let it spring back) This will hold onto the rev's longer in each gear. Getting it back into 'D' is just a matter repeating the above.

A tip I've used for sport mode for is hill descent; when rolling down a hill switch the box into sport... the box will drop a gear (or two) so enabling better engine braking and avoiding cooked brakes..

Phil
Thanks for that, that's a great reply. I didn't realise you nudged it backwards, I thought you could only knock it to the side, hence my confusion. I've got no wish to be changing gears, I'm getting lazy :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Hugh,
your last sentence..... I've been getting lazy for about 10 years :lol: (actually it's a wonky left knee!)
Putting into manual mode does not put it into sport mode (not on any of my 7 speed Yetis or my 6 speed TSI Bear). All it does is allow you to choose (up to a point) your own gear. It will not allow you to go into a gear too high for the engine.
Sport mode is auto only. You will also get an 'S' and the gear number showing in the MFD. The other thing you will get is an EGGSTREEMLY thirsty Bear!! :shock: As Sport hangs onto the gears much longer before changing up. Try it and watch the rev counter zoom round.
The big mistake I make if ever I use manual (rarely) is that as you pull up to a junction it will go down to 1st, whether you want it to or not . There you are sitting waiting happily to pull out. You do so, forgetting you are in manual and very quickly you hit the red line as it won't change up!!
:eek:

·
Registered
119 Posts
"and very quickly you hit the red line as it won't change up!!"

I can't say I've tried it in the Kodiaq as I very rarely use Manual mode, but in the other 5 DSG cars I've owned if you hit the red line it will automatically shift up, in the same way that it will shift down if the revs get too low and it's in danger of stalling.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
The only time I used manual is when engine braking going downhill from my usual skiing mountain. Will be interesting is putting the gearbox in S will work to the same effect.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Again, not tried it in the Kodiaq yet, but previous DSG cars have had some intelligence when it comes to descending in normal 'D' mode.

Say for example you're going down a hill @ 40mph (arbitrary speed) and the car starts to accelerate, if you press the brake to maintain 40mph the car 'notices' this and then automatically shifts down to provide engine braking to try to resist the acceleration.

There are limits to the engine braking provided and it won't rigidly maintain the speed you were going when you braked, but IMHO it's done made a pretty good fist of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yup,

bother said:
Again, not tried it in the Kodiaq yet, but previous DSG cars have had some intelligence when it comes to descending in normal 'D' mode.

Say for example you're going down a hill @ 40mph (arbitrary speed) and the car starts to accelerate, if you press the brake to maintain 40mph the car 'notices' this and then automatically shifts down to provide engine braking to try to resist the acceleration.

There are limits to the engine braking provided and it won't rigidly maintain the speed you were going when you braked, but IMHO it's done made a pretty good fist of it.
I believe in 'D/S' mode there is a mild version of descent control as I sometimes feel the car trying to maintain a set speed.

I sometimes have to drive M.A.N trucks (another VAG group vehicle!) who's gearbox complexity makes a lot of cars look pretty basic - we're talking pre-selectable shift patterns, pre-selectable pull away gear, manoeuver control and one of it's most handy features; hill descent. You just arrive at the top of a hill, brake to the desired speed, then don't touch either the throttle or brake (unless you need to stop, of course!). The truck then maintains the fight against gravity by downshifting but also uses an exhaust brake (which frightens the hell out of pedestrians when it kicks in). All in all it does a really good job at saving the brakes/planet/life - a lot of people (meaning car drivers, not truckers) just aren't aware this technology is about.. although, as we're seeing here, it's starting to sneak its way in..

Annnnd just to bring it back slightly (only slightly!) to the topic.. My old Octy VRS in manual mode used to shift up if you bounced it off the red line, also was good fun coming down the box just whacking the lever back multiple times, letting its brain decide when to shift down for max engine breaking - this was of course on track - before anyone looks to get all concerned for public safety :)

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts