Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.4TSI with DSG and quite frequently notice, when in D, a huge lag between pressing the accelerator and and the gearbox picking up. For some reason this seems worse in cooler ambient temperatures <10'C.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Is there a gearbox firmware fix to help it become more responsive when in D?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
DSG is not usually 'laggy'. Is this from a standing start or up through the gears when moving?
It might be the dreaded (incorrectly called) 'turbo lag' which, in effect, is the way the fly by wire throttle pedal is set up. Skoda have apparently done this to play court to the 'green brigade' as it is supposed to save the planet by not using an extra thimble-full of petrol on take off!
Luckily they have not done it on the Karoq 1.5 DSG.
If it is the latter, the answer lies in you wallet!

https://www.racechip.com/throttle-tuning/xlr.html
If it is throttle lag and not DSG lag then this piece of kit will transform your car.
Try asking on the forum for someone who lives near you and has the same transmission for a comparison.
If you live anywhere near Swindon a member there has just bought by XLR. SO may be able to help you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Colin

Yes it is only on take off.

I can get around it by putting the gearbox into S rather than D on take off then moving it back to D once in 2nd gear. This is why I thought there may be a simple firmware fix somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I too notice dsg lag when the engine is cold. Even on a very slight incline it takes a while to change up to second. But that reduces as engine warms. Also, generally on inclines it takes a while to get out of first. But I had a turbo diesel for years so expect these characteristics are reasonable for a 1.4 petrol turbo ?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
My Kodiaq used to hang in to first too long as well, even on the flat. I think it may be a quirk of the 6 speed box. The 7 speed in Yetis and now in the Karoq didn't/doesn't do it.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Glad you are finding it an improvement! Can't understand why Skoda got is so wrong on the 1.4. Does the 2.0L suffer similarly, does anyone know?
I sold mine on here the other day for £105 because the Karoq doesn't need it with the 1.5 engine (and the 1.4 XLR doesn't fit the 1.5 anyway!)

G

·
Colin Lambert said:
Can't understand why Skoda got is so wrong on the 1.4. Does the 2.0L suffer similarly, does anyone know?
After reading the posts on here about the throttle delay I contemplated buying a Racechip or similar pedal box whilst I was waiting on my 2.0 Tsi to be delivered.
Decided to wait till I took delivery and see for myself if I really needed one of these boxes, and I'm glad I waited as I find the throttle is fine as it is with no perceived lag.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Apologies for reviving an old thread but there are still valid links in it...

Has anyone else had throttle lag issues with the 2.0 TDI?

TBH, I'm not impressed with the DSG gearbox at all - I thought the whole point was that it had the next gear ready and so was a quicker and smoother change? It's smooth if you're delicate on the throttle but it's never quick and if you're not delicate on the throttle, it's quite jerky. I think this is because it's got so many darn gears (who needs 7?), if you put your foot down, it spends time changing down for you and if you change your mind suddenly (unfortunately, I still do school runs and trying to drive smoothly through school run traffic is impossible), it gets all confused. The result is not enjoyable at the moment...and I've tried in manual mode which is no better, mainly because it's just so slow to change. In 3rd, decide to change to 2nd, change your mind, try move back to 3rd, the gearbox is still trying to find 2nd etc.

Probably my fault - I'm expecting too much and I'm still used to the CVT gearbox in my old Lexus which was creamy-smooth at all times.

But what is downright dangerous is the lag from a standstill or very slow speeds. My older Lexus also used to do this (but not as badly) - rolling slowly up to a junction, see a gap, put your foot down...nothing...nothing...nothing...ok, here ya go.

Has anyone fitted the device linked in the thread above, to a 2.0 diesel (if that is possible, not clear on their website) and found it helped?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts