Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a comprehensive explanation of the DSG box history and technical explanation.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-group-s-dsg-gearbox-explained-88928.html

It's an amazing piece of kit, but has had its problems during evolution. Those being put in the Kodiaq are now considered to be tried & tested.

Those that have wet clutches can require new oil and filter at 40k miles, although there seems to be some Dealer confusion over this. Better safe than sorry IMO.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The 7 speed fitted to the Kodiaq is a newer box than that article (it is now a wet clutch box), it is already used in some Audis so hopefully has already been beta tested!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EVERYTHING mechanical will fail eventually, we just hope it won't be during our ownership.

In my opinion it's worth understanding a little about how these DSGs work, and use them sympathetically.

They are essentially a manual box, but the clutch(s) and selectors are moved by clever servos, controlled by electronics.

So bearing in mind that the power is going through multi-plate clutches and NOT a fluid filled torque converter -
Don't creep along "slipping" the clutch with foot on brake. Hang back and then crawl in 1st gear.
Don't "launch" start with foot on accelerator & brake.
Don't change up or down at full power.
Generally use box in auto mode - it's designed to be kind to itself.

- And get oil & filter changed at 40k miles. The clutches can be renewed, but the box has to be taken out - I dread to think how many £s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 6 speed DSG in my previous Passat. It takes a little getting used to but shifts are much slicker than with a slush box.

Main complaint from Mrs was moving off from stand-still as the initial acceleration can be harsh compared with a manual or slush box auto. Basically the clutch isn't ridden at all when you accelerate and you get full torque to wheels a lot quicker so it pulls away with a sudden surge. I think the trick is to allow the car to start creeping forwards and then gently apply gas.

Now looking forward to ditching my current slush box and going back to DSG in my new Kodiaq..

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Not all Kodiaqs have the 7 speed DSG. The 1.4 150hp 2WD has the 6 speed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting away from stationary:

Took my nephew for a spin yesterday. He is a Police armed response driver, and they use BMWs with DSG. He says there is NO way of getting away from stationary smoothly if you're in a hurry. Just ease down on accelerator until it's rolling "and then floor it!"

He was Very impressed with the Kodi incidentally, particularly the LED headlights - best he's ever seen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw in a previous post about not 'launching' the car with your foot on accelerator and the brake but discovered after watching this vid;
that the car has a Launch Control function. This seemed to give the 1.4 150bhp petrol model a 0-62 time of 8.6 secs - over a second faster than he was expecting!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Garowe said:
Saw in a previous post about not 'launching' the car with your foot on accelerator and the brake but discovered after watching this vid;
that the car has a Launch Control function. This seemed to give the 1.4 150bhp petrol model a 0-62 time of 8.6 secs - over a second faster than he was expecting!
Damn that's brutal! Just tried it, and as far as I'm concerned it has no place in everyday driving.
I have done these starts in auto-gearbox cars with torque converter, and this DSG box is very different.
The torque converter uses all the stalled energy to stir fluid, which will get hot and destroy itself if you hold the brake on full throttle long enough!
The DSG slips clutch and then throttles-off after a few seconds if the brake isn't released. At full throttle the gear changes are swift but less than "smooth".
Won't be doing it again.
Oh - just over 8 seconds: me, some stuff in the back, and a full tank of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
KodiaqPetrolHead said:
Garowe said:
Damn that's brutal! Just tried it, and as far as I'm concerned it has no place in everyday driving.
I have done these starts in auto-gearbox cars with torque converter, and this DSG box is very different.
The torque converter uses all the stalled energy to stir fluid, which will get hot and destroy itself if you hold the brake on full throttle long enough!
The DSG slips clutch and then throttles-off after a few seconds if the brake isn't released. At full throttle the gear changes are swift but less than "smooth".
Won't be doing it again.
Exactly what I'm looking for!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've found it difficult to drive smoothly with the DSG in my 190 diesel. Even in sport mode, it tends to select a high gear and if I'm doing say 40mph and want to accelerate gently to 50mph I press the throttle gently and almost nothing happens. Pressing a bit harder causes sudden kick-down and rapid acceleration. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium. I've started changing down manually with the steering wheel paddle then accelerating gently but I shouldn't need to resort to manual control to drive smoothly. I thought it might just take some getting used to but I've done 2000 miles now and tried the different settings (eco, normal, sport). Maybe it's just the characteristics of 190 diesel engine along with DSG box.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
- You may be correct that the DSG box has trouble smoothly transferring output of the higher powered engines. I have noticed the all-or-nothing when asking for moderate acceleration, and paddle selection is obviously the answer for you.

I am finding that I have to be "masterful" as hesitation or oscillating on the throttle confuses the DSG no end. For instance the worst case I've had of this to date was approaching a mini-roundabout in left lane to go straight on - lots of traffic, and then an ambulance with blues & twos came up middle of the road. Everyone started to panic and take avoiding action, so I was on & off the throttle like a yoyo. Then the ambulance wanted to dive behind me to exit the roundabout, so I floored it to get out of his way and there was absolutely NOTHING! The box had spat its dummy, and I couldn't move for a couple of embarrassing seconds.
Now when those sorts of situations are developing in front of me I go manual, or at least knock it into Sport which helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
DSG has it's problems with "gear prediction". The technology is fairly old, but standard planetary gear automatics with torque convertors seemed superior because of this prediction lagg, until modern advances in mechatronics. Sports car have been using it with greater success because there you are always driving at high revs or breaking hard.

With all the transmissions, you need to get used to it. "Flooring it" from low speeds on any automatic transmission will give you a little delay. ALTHOUTH i had noticed that with the DSG in question you drive always in high gears (probably due to fuel consumptio or something foolish like that). For instance when i was driving 60kp/h the car was in 5th gear and kept the revs at about 1800 RPM. As soon as i pushed on the throttle a bit it moved to 4th to accelerate. The problem is in normal driving conditions when you are breaking it doesn't downshift it just stays up a high gear UNTIL you apply throttle upon which it downshifts 1 or 2 gears which is not ideal to say the least.

In my mind what Škoda did is, because this is their first SUV, they didn't calculate that in this driving mode the DSG will have to switch 2 gears instead of one on smaller cars, which causes delay. Nothing a software patch can't fix.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brown-bear's "In my mind what Škoda did is, because this is their first SUV, they didn't calculate that in this driving mode the DSG will have to switch 2 gears instead of one on smaller cars, which causes delay. Nothing a software patch can't fix."

That could be it - asking for anything more than moderate acceleration seems to confuse it, and then it over-reacts and goes off like a scalded cat.
This seems less pronounced in Sport mode - perhaps its changing down 2 gears? I'll have to pay attention.

·
Registered
314 Posts
All the EU6 DSGs behave very lazily, I think it's down to the engine software to reduce fuel consumption (most people cannot keep a steady speed without CC)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I rarely have a problem with my 6 speed DSG on the Octavia, most of the time it does what is expected and is very smooth, I hope the new 7 isn't a step backwards :oops:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The way these DSG boxes are constructed makes it impossible to instantly change down (or up) 2 gears. So it will change say 5->4 quickly, but 5->3 takes a couple of seconds.
Driven 100+ miles today and been playing with this. Knocking stick into Sport instantly drops one gear, and sometimes two with the regulation 2 second delay, and the box seems to realise that you Mean Business and doesn't line-up a higher gear so eagerly.
Using left foot braking is a huge advantage, and if I touch the accelerator with right foot just before releasing brakes it changes down ready to accelerate. THANK you DSG!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
The way these DSG boxes are constructed makes it impossible to instantly change down (or up) 2 gears. So it will change say 5->4 quickly, but 5->3 takes a couple of seconds./color] post by KodiaqPetrolHead » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:12 pm

<COLOR color="#000000">Move the G stick to manual and flick up or down as fast as you can, as many gears as you want to change. I found it almost instantaneous on my Yeti 7 speed DSG. I have yet to try on the 6 speed K box.</COLOR>

·
Registered
60 Posts
Zach said:
KodiaqPetrolHead said:
Garowe said:
Won't be doing it again.
Exactly what I'm looking for!
Did it work with diesel engine. Tried it but didnt come up with "launch mode" and didn't red line on acceleration. Maybe restricted to patrols?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I apologise in advance. I am in 'dogmatic mode' this morning. I was even accused by my housemaster at school for being too dogmatic! ;) :lol:

I think Skoda are insane having 'Launch control' on an SUV.
It's fine on a high powered sports car driven by lunatics like Clarkson, on a track , But really! On an SUV on road? Pointless!.
A friend of mine has a 4 something series Beemer twin turbo 'oiler' that does 0-62 in just over 4 seconds. WHY?. . Ok I know that therefore the overtakability is excellent but using 0-62 times like that on road, is a quick way to become a pedestrian!! :lol:
I am not calling anyone j]here who tries it daft, I might even try it ONCE when the engine/transmission frees up a bit, just for the experience, but it can't do the 'coggage' any good.
Going back to DSGs.
I much prefer the 7 speed I had on all my other Skodas. The 6-er I find hangs onto 1st too long during slowish acceleration which can't do the consumption any good and I find each gear, is of necessity a bit too 'long legged' in comparison with the 7 speed.
I can't understand why they used the 6 speed in the 1.4.
Anybody else have any comments having owned both?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts