Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
cheers for that, gutted there are no paddles with DSG thought they were on all DSG gearbox, like the way nearly knocked the door at the end, those strips wouldn't ofmade a difference lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can get paddles, but it would be an optional heated steering wheel with paddles (£245).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wouldn't spend anything on paddles. Have them on my Q3 and despite giving them a good couple of tries they are just not needed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ordered heated steering wheel for Switzerland. Didn't realise paddles came with it (do they?)
Recently drove Merc with paddled and it was awful, but I understand the Škoda box is quicker to change. We'll see...

·
Registered
289 Posts
It depends. In the UK we have 2 optional steering wheels: one just heated, and one heated with paddles. I have had paddles on a Lexus IS, Jaguar XF and BMW 5 in the last decade and can still keep count on both hands the number of times I've ended up using them. Generally the boxes get the right gear. I've learnt this time to not get the paddles for what this is worth.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I have had three cars with paddles, complete waste of time and money in my opinion. I too never used them. What is the point if you can 'wag' the gear stick? Especially on a SUV. It does not pretend to be a sports car in any other respect.
Regarding the video....
He omitted to mention the SIX speed DSG at 29 seconds,
For some reason it has "Understore floorage" at 59 seconds. (the first car ever to have that! :lol: ) and the passenger door brolly at about 1.14.
Stay behind after school and do a bit more preparation methinks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
My Superb is the first DSG I have owned and I thought long and hard about the paddles, in the end I ordered them and I am glad I did, for overtaking on single carriageways they are great, yes you can pull out and floor it letting the DSG shift down automatically or you can manually shift down (without taking your hands off the wheel) with the paddles as you are about to pull out meaning you are already in the right gear for a swift overtake.

Obviously those who just want to follow the car in front will not find them anywhere near as useful... if at all, it is all down to personal preference and how you drive.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I just kickdown. I certainly don't just yet along behind the chap in front. My other flippyflappy pale cars were mini cooper, 3 Saab's. All driven with a degree of 'Verve', but still found the paddles pointless. As you say, purely a matter of choice. :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I must admit I like to use the paddles in the vRS, but most of the time Iet it sort itself, its good at that.
I didn't spec them in the K, but kind of wished I had now, there's less power and more weight so it might need a bit of help ... still, I can use the stick if required, :)
On the subject of gear changes with them, I always found them instant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts