Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <t>You are too fussy Savage !</t>

Votes: 1 5.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have read, I am not happy with my armrest assembly gaps.
The replacement panels are not a lot better in 2 cases.
Before I have the new ones fitted, I thought I would experiment with an idea I had to make them more uniform looking.

Now, I know the colour is different, but for the moment try to see past that ;)
If this seems like a good idea, the options are try and find a local supplier to make the faux leather beading in the right shade, or go black and see if the contrast works :?:

This is current Drivers Door side:

And with the beading in place:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very good. I must applaud your ingenuity. I've the black leather and post bw 22 so it's not noticeable.
You my friend are SIMPLY CLEVER.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far 3 to 2 say its worse and one says I am too fussy, Given How much the car costs, I feel I am entitled to be fussy :p
I honestly wouldn't expect such an appalling assembly quality on a car costing half as much :roll:

·
Registered
289 Posts
The typo in the title bothers me more than the door trim...

The fundamental design of the door handles and door cards is flawed. It'll be interesting to see the next iteration.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed typo ;)
If only the door trim was so easy to fix :lol:
I appear to be in the minority, and it may seem like a small thing to some, but every time I get in the car it bugs me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mmmm, not sure about that, kind of reminds me of a poorly mastic'd shower tray!!

As I've got black trim it isn't a problem for me, well if it is I certainly haven't noticed as it doesn't draw the eye, that on the other hand . . .

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
AS said ...ingenious.
My gaps are nowhere near as bad as yours, it's just the creaking which does bug me slightly every time I pull the door closed.
It really is pretty shoddy on a car costing this much. As you said, it would be pretty poor on any car.
HAs your beading actually lessened/stopped the creaking or is it just aesthetic?
Can't make up my mind which button to tick on your survey. I think it would depend on the colour.
Well done for the thought though!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
If the beading was the exact same colour it wouldn't look bad but as it sits...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the beading was purchased from ebay just to try the theory.
Its not fixed just mocked up, it wouldn't fix creaking as its the handles that creak not the armrests. The gaps are just aesthetically an eyesore to me, and proof that the build quality control is very poor.
I was unsure of the look once in place, hence the thread. Obviously I would have sourced a colour match if I had decided to do it, but I am not going too.
The thing is the gaps are not even uniform, some doors have a snug fitting armrest, others that awful gap, and in that case an uneven awful gap !
After my Hols, I need to have a serious discussion with SUK head office and come to a resolution one way or another.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Savage said:
Well the beading was purchased from ebay just to try the theory.
Its not fixed just mocked up, it wouldn't fix creaking as its the handles that creak not the armrests. The gaps are just aesthetically an eyesore to me, and proof that the build quality control is very poor.
I was unsure of the look once in place, hence the thread. Obviously I would have sourced a colour match if I had decided to do it, but I am not going too.
The thing is the gaps are not even uniform, some doors have a snug fitting armrest, others that awful gap, and in that case an uneven awful gap !
After my Hols, I need to have a serious discussion with SUK head office and come to a resolution one way or another.
I would agree that Skoda UK needs to sort it out, in principle customers should not need to resolve quality issues on expensive cars, if it was a Dacia Duster then you would expect the odd miss aligned panel but not Skoda.

·
Registered
130 Posts
After studying the picture with the umbrella in the shot it looks like trying to wrap the armrest around the umbrella holder could be causing the gap. Looks like the bean counters have struck again. (Lets trim the armrest down a few millimeters, fraction of an inch, and over the production life of the car we can save 20 euro for the company.) :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts