Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kodiaq is on its way to the dealer and had couple of quick questions aimed at dog owners. We have a 2 year old Labrador who weighs around 40 kgs.

1. Do you need a pet ramp to get the dog in and out of the boot?
2. Is there a good boot liner you would recommend which covers the boot lip to prevent accidental scratching by the dog?

Keen on hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have an 18 month old GSD 35kg and she has a large cage which takes up 2/3rds width in the boot. Plenty of room at the side for wellies, waterproofs etc. As a youngster she has no problem leaping in now .. but having had a few GSD's into old age, can envisage the need for a ramp in later years ( as with any SUV ). Have found that the plastic boot liner from our Octy fits quite nicely in K ( just a little short behind the seats ). Would highly recommend a cage .. 40kg of dog in a head-on collision will hurt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys. I'm a dog trainer. Really only my advice but I would say if you cant lift the dog in and out then get something to help them in and out (i.e Ramp) in later life for the dog could suffer from bad joints from jumping and landing from height.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Roadster said:
My Kodiaq is on its way to the dealer and had couple of quick questions aimed at dog owners. We have a 2 year old Labrador who weighs around 40 kgs.

1. Do you need a pet ramp to get the dog in and out of the boot?
2. Is there a good boot liner you would recommend which covers the boot lip to prevent accidental scratching by the dog?

Keen on hearing your thoughts.
Two 9 year old Lurchers weighing 26Kg each.
Both can jump in easily, But as quoted elsewhere, you have to consider the age of the dog, the size of the dog and the length of time you are keeping the car. I tried a ramp for my last dog and being old she simply would not countenance using a ramp so I had to lift her in and out.
I and others have bought this.
http://www.bootsliners.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1
Only fits the 7 seater apparently is fairly light weight but does the job admirably and fits well all round the indentations of the wheel arches.
To protect the paint below the tailgate I just have an old towel that I flip in and out .

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have a 13 yer old lab 28kg who cannot jump in any more. With hindsight we should have got the ramp earlier than we did as the impact could damage front legs (or my back), fortunately it didn't. Kodiaq is in order expected early November but we use with CRV and it works fine. We have this one and it folds and is easy to store behind front seats. At a push it would fit in the boot with dog.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Folding-Dog-Pet-Ramp/122698558524?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D9316b7c3632f42c5a4c0129351ed88ee%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D182510287921&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for their inputs. Highly appreciated. I think I will go for a dog ramp anyway.

As for the boot liner, what I should have mentioned is that my Kodiaq will be a 5 seater and a majority of the good boot liner retailers are stocking ones for 7 seater. Yes, there are multiple options for a standard liner available for 5 seaters as well but I am looking for something better like hatchbag.co.uk or titancovers. All of this assuming that the 5 seater boot is a tad deeper that the 7 seater with seats folded (or vice versa). I had read it somewhere and can be wrong too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jvincentuk said:
Do you think a 7 seater cover from hatchbag will fit a 5 seater ok?
Thanks
J
Jvincentuk, I am not sure. I checked with hatchbag and they replied stating that they do not have the liner for the 5 seater as of yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I checked and the 5 Seater boot is indeed 85mm deeper than the 7 Seater with 3rd row seats folded down. With made-to-measure boot liners like titancovers and hatchbag this could be a challenge especially considering that their returns policy is not applicable on items which are personalized.

Reckon I will have to wait for some more time then until which point I will use a couple of towels like Colin suggested :)

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Most doggy peeps carry towels for soggy/muddy mutts so why waste money on an expensive flip out boot mat?
BTW 8.cm is only 2.75 inches. So a 7 seater mat will fit and a rolled up towel or a piece of 'Vetbed' will fill the small gap behind the seats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts