Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry!!! , Iff you were duped??? Turns out, THAT. Smelly, rotten, unrefined, industrial like diesels are, infact, the way to go. Oops!
Great saying everywhere, let's not "cry over spilt milk". Anyway. What a great car!!! ENJOY!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
You're supposed to put it in your car, not your coffee ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
debsnal said:
A big suv 4x4 got to be Diesel.
Too simple a statement.
Doing 20,000 miles a year ... a clear case for diesel.
Doing 4,500 to 5,000 miles ... clear case for petrol.
Points inbetween? You have to decide.

And yes, my comparison above is also too simple - how often will the Kodiaq be pulling its allowed trailer weight? How often will it appproach its maximum loaded weight? Will it do long journeys, or lots of short ones, etc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,544 Posts
Absolutely Dave.
High mileage ~ towing anything bigger than a little 'garden trailer' Derv
I do six K miles, don't tow, a lot of weekday short runs when the engine doesn't even heat up properly, with longer journeys at the weekends.
Petrol no brainer .
AND as a cash NOT PCP buyer, for me......not derv under ANY circumstances thank you! I know that new 'oilers' are very clean, but the general feeling and ignorance is killing diesel. Sales of derv cars down 17 % AGAIN last last month while gasoline cars sales up. Although ALL car sales down badly.
If you have a guaranteed buy back on PCP, lucky you. If you have paid cash then God help you if you don't keep it 'til it goes to the great scrap heap in the sky, because residuals will continue to fall like a stone. If you sell it after, say 3 years, you will (IMHO) get a very nasty shock, if things continue as they are now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
As someone who just got badly hit by the depreciation of a low(ish) mileage large diesel SUV it was a really easy decision to buy petrol this time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
I know that new 'oilers' are very clean, but the general feeling and ignorance is killing diesel. Sales of derv cars down 17 % AGAIN last last month while gasoline cars sales up. Although ALL car sales down badly
Also when the chancellor makes statements like "have a long, hard think before buying a diesel", you know it's not good. Evidently the government agenda is working.

Apologies for getting all political!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
There's an argument for both... I went petrol because I didn't want to spend £1650 extra on it, I didn't want the DPF issues, didn't want to be using adblue and I'll only be doing 8k pa plus I don't tow.
I'm really please with it... the unpopularity of diesels had nothing to do with it as I have a guaranteed future value. I just wanted something different. On my PCP I saved £30 pcm and I'm not spending anything close to that extra on fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Jacro said:
I'm sorry!!! , Iff you were duped??? Turns out, THAT. Smelly, rotten, unrefined, industrial like diesels are, infact, the way to go. Oops!
Great saying everywhere, let's not "cry over spilt milk". Anyway. What a great car!!! ENJOY!!!
I find threads like these weird. The willy waving is daft. Most people are happy with the choices they made and we all made those choices for our own reasons.

You love your diesel, good for you. Don't wish it on me though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
Jacro said:
I'm sorry!!! , Iff you were duped??? Turns out, THAT. Smelly, rotten, unrefined, industrial like diesels are, infact, the way to go. Oops!
Great saying everywhere, let's not "cry over spilt milk". Anyway. What a great car!!! ENJOY!!!
I find threads like these weird. The willy waving is daft. Most people are happy with the choices they made and we all made those choices for our own reasons.

You love your diesel, good for you. Don't wish it on me though.
Totally agree!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
I would prefer the (turbo-) diesel, especially in a car this size.

But I went with petrol, because I fear that governments and local councils will start banning diesels from city centres over the course of the next few years.
This may for instance affect the value of a diesel Kodiaq at the end of a PCP term, so I decided that it's probably best to not own a diesel Kodiaq when my PCP term comes to mature.

I also fear that diesels will eventually be 'bullied' off the road by governments via super high VED (f.k.a. road tax) or via high fuel duties. Or both.
That has not happened yet, because in the UK diesel makes up nearly 50% of the voters.
Don't forget that most rich people drive the big diesel SUVs and diesel executive saloons. Mustn't upset the rich.

But as the diesel wanes in popularity there may come a point where the government may just decide to declare full-on war on the diesels.
When that happens then woe be you, diesel drivers (*).

That said, I also think that once the automotive industry cracks the diesel particulate problem, governments all over the world will make yet another U-turn and start favouring diesel again.

It's a fickle game, this petrol vs diesel debate.

(*) my other car is a diesel, so I am having a go at myself too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
I wouldn't like to have a diesel on PCP and expect any kind of return over the residual value in 3 years time ........

New diesel sales are down, dealers struggling to shift used ones, councils charging more to park a diesel etc etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all. My original post sure did get.a good response. Look. My point is. The demise of diesel is like Brexit. Its just never going to really happen. Enjoy the awesome,.for the money, Skodiaq. Ive done 11000 miles since July 3rd, twice my normal, because I love driving it. ENJOY!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh and by way. Anyone heard of Farmaggedon brewery coop, based in Ballygowan N.Ireland. Honestly. The nicest craft beer I have ever tasted. Yum Yum!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Hopefully picking up my diesel next week (snow permitting).
Remember even petrol was demonized a few years ago, hence catalytic converters. New EU6 diesels are much cleaner and the recent increases in CO2 caused by the swap back to petrol have to be factored in at some point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Jacro said:
Hi all. My original post sure did get.a good response. Look. My point is. The demise of diesel is like Brexit. Its just never going to really happen. Enjoy the awesome,.for the money, Skodiaq. Ive done 11000 miles since July 3rd, twice my normal, because I love driving it. ENJOY!!!!!!!
You're on the sauce or you're trolling. Both diesel and petrol are gubbed mate, and Brexit will certainly happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Hugh Fanism said:
You're on the sauce or you're trolling. Both diesel and petrol are gubbed mate, and Brexit will certainly happen.
The news is often saying 'no petrol or diesel after year 20xx'. When you look into it they all actually mean no sole combustion engine, it's mainly petrol or diesel hybrids - definitely a victory for rhetoric over substance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
JKSKodi said:
Hugh Fanism said:
You're on the sauce or you're trolling. Both diesel and petrol are gubbed mate, and Brexit will certainly happen.
The news is often saying 'no petrol or diesel after year 20xx'. When you look into it they all actually mean no sole combustion engine, it's mainly petrol or diesel hybrids - definitely a victory for rhetoric over substance!
Most are saying no diesel at all. Some are saying all electric and petrol hybrids for their line ups(Volvo from 2019 for instance). They HAVE to have hybrids as most countries don't have and will never have the infrastructure to feed us all having plug in electric cars. The smart ones are developing hydrogen, which seems the sensible way forward for me.

The hybrid is a baby step towards killing petrol and diesel engines, the end is in our sights. Both of them are as good as dead in the foreseeable future.
 
1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Top