Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I've got an SEL with the Columbus and was wondering if anyone knew of a rough amount of data the car would use with every day usage per month? Do you all use a certain SIM in yours? Three look like they have really good deals, just wondered

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting point, I'll be using my iphone with mine which obviously has data, but it would be good to know what sort of hit you take while connected.

Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
minitellsa said:
I went with Three, getting this PAYG SIM (https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-incl-12gb-data.html), with 12GB of data. I've used about 70MB in 700 miles, this has been just using it for the infotainment, I'm sure when the kids start streaming YouTube the data usage will ramp up!
Thank you. I think three do the best value data plans in the U.K. I was going to go for a one gig pre loaded because they give you a free 200mb per month. Not much I know but enough for basic updates and feeding the stats to the app on my phone. I think you can register for the free 200mb. Google it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just got my car at the start of the week and found that there was so much messing about with my mobile that I would get an extra sim. I have a sim only deal with BT at the moment and for an extra £6 per month I got an extra sim with unlimited calls and messages plus 4 gig of data. No more changing my phone from wifi to hotspot and my mobile battery isn't going down so much. Seems to work really well and connects really quickly. I would think that for general usage 4 gig will hopefully be enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PeterC said:
Just got my car at the start of the week and found that there was so much messing about with my mobile that I would get an extra sim. I have a sim only deal with BT at the moment and for an extra £6 per month I got an extra sim with unlimited calls and messages plus 4 gig of data. No more changing my phone from wifi to hotspot and my mobile battery isn't going down so much. Seems to work really well and connects really quickly. I would think that for general usage 4 gig will hopefully be enough.
Thanks Peter, I would imagine 4 gig is more than enough, it would be great if unused data was carried over. Out of interest, when you use all of your data, does it just stop working until the renewal day of the month? No unexpected bills I hope

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have noticed that at the top of my screen there is a red globe symbol. Is this due to not having any data connection? I would like to pay up front for a card that had a load of data on it. Is three the way to go?

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
so if i get one of these sims do just put it in and do you have anything else to do?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep just pop it in the SIM slot located in glove box.....mine works perfectly much better than using phones data connection

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

What size sim do you need? I'm looking at getting one, rather than relying on my phone being in the car!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Most SIM cards are provided with all 3 sizes:

Standard, Micro and Nano. You just pop out the part you need from the plastic carrier.

The Kodiaq takes a "standard" size - i.e the largest of the 3 sizes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
BearNecessity said:
Most SIM cards are provided with all 3 sizes:

Standard, Micro and Nano. You just pop out the part you need from the plastic carrier.

The Kodiaq takes a "standard" size - i.e the largest of the 3 sizes.
Cheers BearNecessity, I'm looking at ordering one now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
just received the '3' sim as recommended earlier in the post. Popped it in and after telling it i only want to use it for data it worked correctly and easily. Well happy now to get rid of the annoying red globe at the top of the screen and it all works 100% and even 4G too :) Also tried the flash and honk function and was very happy to see it all working too. (tho doubt ill ever need it in the real world lol)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have inserted a 3 Nework Data Sim (Free data sim) in external slot.Switched on the Business Phone tick box and the Data Only tick box. Doesn't seem to be working. What should I expect to see on screen if working correctly? Also does it have to be activated in a certain way, didn't ask for pass key etc.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is it really that simple, I've ordered the sim so what else do I need to do?

·
Registered
39 Posts
RogerWW said:
Have inserted a 3 Nework Data Sim (Free data sim) in external slot.Switched on the Business Phone tick box and the Data Only tick box. Doesn't seem to be working. What should I expect to see on screen if working correctly? Also does it have to be activated in a certain way, didn't ask for pass key etc.
Update.
Eventually got online with Skoda Connect in the car this afternoon. Car internal sim connected to 3 Network eventually, not sure how good the 3 Network is in my area i.e. Village.. Took a few minutes to upload the Skoda Connect data into info system, assume this may be due to being my first initial login etc. Even so surprised it took so long as screen/globe indicated 4G signal in operation. Still not convinced all is well as when signal strength went to 3G, screen came up connection lost, then some 10 minutes later when 4G signal came back I still couldn't get skoda connect back up running. Even after some 20 minutes of 4G still no skoda connect. Will get back on to skoda dealer tomorrow. Seems I may have an up and down connection as reported by a few on here before. Very frustrating.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts