Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my new Kodiaq has the built in SIM in the glovebox and I'm thinking of putting a separate SIM card in it rather than using my phone for the data connection.

I've seen this deal from 3 that gives you 12gb over a 12 month period for £24.99 https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-incl-12gb-data.html

So my questions are would this be enough data allowance for basic traffic info, skoda connect stuff etc (there will be no movie streaming etc)?

And does 3 have good enough UK coverage to provide a good connection as I travel over pretty much the whole of the UK (well at least as far north as Aberdeen and Plymouth in the South)?

Thanks for any info from 3 users

·
Registered
29 Posts
From my experience on the Three Network, no issues in towns / cities. Although not the best when you go out rural. My partner has Three and I have EE.

Could use this tool as a guide:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage

I would be interested to know as well what people recommend for amount of data required as be easier to have a sim in the car rather then tethering from our mobiles. Not that this is an issue, other then having to connect all the time when changing drivers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I opted for an EE sim. 2GB per month for 3 months £30.

The Three deal is far better but opted for EE because their 4G coverage is far better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From the same site they also do a EE sim for the same price and data, which should lower the concern of coverage.

Only catch is that it is 6 months, and you get 2GB per month. Reading the reviews on the site, if you don't use 2GB per month you lose the remaining amount and it doesn't carry over to the next month. So if you used only 1 GB, the other 1 GB is lost unfortunately. And I am assuming that if you go over the 2GB, you have to top up for the rest of the month usage.

Whereas the THREE is 12GB over 12 months and I am assuming not limited to an amount per month like the EE, so once you use it all then you have to top up.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/ee-payg-4g-sim-card-preloaded-12gb-of-data.html

I think for both of us, the main question is how much data on average will be used, I know this depends on how much you use the car etc. But a figure to work off would be great to chose the best deal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure I read in some other threads that others here are using the 3 SIM cards, so hopefully one of those people will make an appearance soon and let us know how much data they use and how good the 3 coverage is.......Well here's hoping😀

·
Registered
503 Posts
I use mine but infrequently, just had a week of use, but also 2 of the kids playing online on tablets a lot on the 320 mile journey there and back so the 3 gb I used in a week isn't representative ! (and I probably used some of that out and about as the sim is in my phone, teathered when in car.)
I am guessing the car features only will probably be less than 1gb pm in normal use.
See if you can pick up a rolling monthly contract for data with your preferred provider, then you can assess your usage and decide if its better to go long term contract, rolling monthly or pre-paid.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think what we need to watch for is a map update.
Used to need a large SD card to do these, so with online updates it should be interesting

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I've ordered the 3 sim that I linked to at the beginning....I'll let you know how I get along with it at £24.99 for a year it's not going to break the bank....and if I use tons of data I'll just have to top it up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Moko said:
Well I've ordered the 3 sim that I linked to at the beginning....I'll let you know how I get along with it at £24.99 for a year it's not going to break the bank....and if I use tons of data I'll just have to top it up.
I am considering just doing the same, as you said its not breaking the bank. And tbh how much rural driving am I going to do where signal may be an issues, and possibly on these occasions will connect to my EE phone instead then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One tip the guys at Trans City gave me was when you receive your SIM make sure you activate it in a spare phone as the car can't handle the activation process if the SIM is placed in the glovebox slot

·
Registered
29 Posts
Moko said:
One tip the guys at Trans City gave me was when you receive your SIM make sure you activate it in a spare phone as the car can't handle the activation process if the SIM is placed in the glovebox slot
Cheers for the tip, I have ordered my sim card today ready for the car next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i brought one of these in december last year and at christmas they had a promotion for 24gb instead of 12gb, hopefully run the same promotion again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Don't bother topping it up, just buy another SIM. They charge roughly £4 a gig on top ups.

I used a 3 SIM for 5 weeks in the Q7 and it used about 300Mb for the traffic and navigation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Moko said:
I am assuming the "K" takes the full sim card, where as most phone these days take the micro or nano card. Just took delivery of the sim card today, and wondering the best way to get it activated before putting it in the car.

The only phone capable of activating the new sim card is my partner's THREE iPhone 6 which would mean using the micro card, but then it would mean breaking the card smaller and thus making it harder to use in the "K".

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apparently when I visited my local 3 shop....if it's a Data only sim you don't need to unlock it with the normal text method of activating a new sim.

I got them to check that mine was already working in the shop and it was so popped it into the slot and now everything works perfectly each time I start the car....it's much better than linking via my iPhone which kept needing the personal hotspot turning off then on to connect

I hope that helps

·
Registered
49 Posts
Raffa said:
Moko said:
I am assuming the "K" takes the full sim card, where as most phone these days take the micro or nano card. Just took delivery of the sim card today, and wondering the best way to get it activated before putting it in the car.

The only phone capable of activating the new sim card is my partner's THREE iPhone 6 which would mean using the micro card, but then it would mean breaking the card smaller and thus making it harder to use in the "K".

Any suggestions?
I just took the whole sim out of the credit card size pack then broke out the nano sim (leaving the micro adapter inside the standard size) put it in my iPhone to activate. Then replaced the nano in the micro adapter that is still in the standard size. The fit is snug enough to hold firmly in place.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cheers for the replies, will try and see if the card is already activated first if not will then try the second methond of taking it apart to put into an iPhone and then back, maybe some cellotape will add to holding it back together just in case.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Purchased an Huawei pocket sized mobile wi-fi, together with a three data only 4g sim back in September 2017 as I don't have a SIM card slot, so I am able to let the grandchildren use my data on the hotspot when needed. Have finally decided to use the unit on Skoda connect and presently all seems to be working okay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts