Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previously, I had been using an app called 'OSM DVR' on my phone with a dash mount but found that the processing load + direct sunlight on a hot day could dim the screen to uselessness and even shut the phone down completely due to heat. It is a great app in cooler climates and is location aware, plots journey route and a wealth of other info. I've caught various unintentionally suicidal deer and pedestrians on it! Good times.

As we're planning a Euro roadtrip, I thought I'd invest in a semi-permanent solution to mitigate any 'he's the foreigner here, so it must be his fault' scenarios. I've picked up a well reviewed entry level 'Nextbase 112' dash cam and run the wiring myself, from the 12V socket in the front console. Halfords are selling them at £39.99, as is Argos. I picked up a pack of self-adhesive cable clips while I was in Halfords. I ran the cabling under the passenger side dash, up the side of the dash in the door opening, up the passenger side window pillar and across the top, to the middle. I used the cover under the dash in the passenger footlwell to store the cable slack.

It's not a great look in terms of cable tidiness but it's a lease car so I don't think I can do something more permanent and tidier with the wiring. If anyone has any hints of tips for a tidier solution that doesn't involve taking fascia and panels to bits, I'm all ears!

the camera itself is basic: 120 degree viewing angle. records 720p video with audio. No maps. No location. Just recording. The max size microSD card supported it 32Gb which will store up to 4 rolling hours. If you really want to watch as it records, it has a serviceable 2" screen on the back. I've mounted it to the left of the rearview mirror and, the odd bit of visible cable aside, the camera itself actually looks fairly unobtrusive and neat.

Also: has anyone seen the Russian dashcam complilations on Youtube? The crazy shennanigans that people do for insurance money is the sort of thing that makes you want to rush out and buy one!

·
Registered
947 Posts
dalglir said:
Previously, I had been using an app called 'OSM DVR' on my phone with a dash mount but found that the processing load + direct sunlight on a hot day could dim the screen the uselessness and even shut the phone down completely due to heat. It is a great app in cooler climates and is location aware, plots journey route and a wealth of other info. I've caught various unintentionally suicidal deer and pedestrians on it! Good times.

As we're planning a Euro roadtrip, I thought I'd invest in a semi-permanent solution to mitigate any 'he's the foreigner here, so it must be his fault' scenarios. I've picked up a well reviewed entry level 'Nextbase 112' dash cam and run the wiring myself, from the 12V socket in the front console. Halfords are selling them at £39.99, as is Argos. I picked up a pack of self-adhesive cable clips while I was in Halfords. I ran the cabling under the passenger side dash, up the side of the dash in the door opening, up the passenger side window pillar and across the top, to the middle. I used the cover under the dash in the passenger footlwell to store the cable slack.

It's not a great look in terms of cable tidiness but it's a lease car so I don't think I can do something more permanent and tidier with the wiring. If anyone has any hints of tips for a tidier solution that doesn't involve taking fascia and panels to bits, I'm all ears!

the camera itself is basic: 120 degree viewing angle. records 720p video with audio. No maps. No location. Just recording. The max size microSD card supported it 32Gb which will store up to 4 rolling hours. If you really want to watch as it records, it has a serviceable 2" screen on the back. I've mounted it to the left of the rearview mirror and, the odd bit of visible cable aside, the camera itself actually looks fairly unobtrusive and neat.

Also: has anyone seen the Russian dashcam complilations on Youtube? The crazy shennanigans that people do for insurance money is the sort of thing that makes you want to rush out and buy one!
Be aware that if you are going to Europe there are some counties where Dashcams are illegal or their use is restricted and discouraged. I believe they are illegal in Austria (Fines up to €10,000 for first offence) and other countries such as Germany, Luxemburg and Switzerland discourage their use based upon privacy laws. Uploading footage is the key area which is prohibited.

Most EU countries do not accept dashcam footage as evidence in a court of law so it may not be that useful in the end. I have heard that there are discussions within the UK to look at the legality of using dashcams.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeah ... if they ban dashcams on the grounds of privacy in the UK, what are they going to do with the CCTV cameras sprawled all over the country :lol:
But good point about checking country rules traveling abroad for those that do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jon Edwards said:
Be aware that if you are going to Europe there are some counties where Dashcams are illegal or their use is restricted and discouraged. I believe they are illegal in Austria (Fines up to €10,000 for first offence) and other countries such as Germany, Luxemburg and Switzerland discourage their use based upon privacy laws. Uploading footage is the key area which is prohibited.

Most EU countries do not accept dashcam footage as evidence in a court of law so it may not be that useful in the end. I have heard that there are discussions within the UK to look at the legality of using dashcams.
Oh! that's really interesting!

So, looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashcam#Legality

We're planning on passing through:

FR - no problem
BE - no problem
DE - Translated page: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiegel.de%2Fauto%2Faktuell%2Fdashcam-videokamera-verstoesst-gegen-datenschutzgesetz-a-985756.html&edit-text=&act=url It looks like, like Switzerland below, you can record but it would only be permissible in the event of an accident under exceptional circumstances. So mostly useless in Germany for accidents and probably better stowed.
CH - "Video cameras for vehicles, known as dashcams, are growing in popularity in Switzerland." but, as you say, they are discouraged. This link https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/datenschutz/00625/00729/01075/index.html?lang=en goes on to explain the privacy conflict in greater depth. So, camera unclipped and stowed in CH.
IT - no problem and, to be honest, Italy is where I really want to use it. I still have vivid memories of driving from the Swiss border to Lake Como a few years back. It was like a game of 'no-touch' stock car racing!

And then, of course, after that, I plan to use it in day-to-day/business trip use within the UK, for two reasons: (1) I tend to drive more sedately and considerately with the dashcam running and (2) I see a phenomenal amount of ass-hattery on UK roads and its only a matter of time until I witness a serious accident.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Last first.
Oh my GOD! The PC nannystate strikes again.
We won't be allowed to blow our noses soon!!
I heard, rumour only that some peeps had been exonerated of accident liability in the U.K by showing dash cam footage to their insurers. I must admit That I was very glad to catch footage of the stupid woman who got the priority wrong at a cross roads (shot straight across a halt sign into my path)and had I been 1 second further down the road I would have T boned her.
Dalglir.
You will find that you can hide the dash cam cable completely by feeding it into the front edge of the A pillar trim, round the corner of the dash board , under the rubber lip of the door seal and thence up under the dash board. It is very easy to hard wire it using a 'piggyback' fuse holder. And saves leaving the cam on all the time because you have forgotten to pull the plugh and Simply Stupid Skoda have the sockets permanently live.
I was always forgetting to pull the plug on my Yetis .
The black line at the front of the A pillar shrouding is the black line on the glass, not the cable.
P.s. Don't forget it will record all your expletives when some numpty carves you up!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Colin Lambert said:
You will find that you can hide the dash cam cable completely by feeding it into the front edge of the A pillar trim, round the corner of the dash board , under the rubber lip of the door seal and thence up under the dash board. It is very easy to hard wire it using a 'piggyback' fuse holder. And saves leaving the cam on all the time because you have forgotten to pull the plugh and Simply Stupid Skoda have the sockets permanently live.
I was always forgetting to pull the plug on my Yetis .
The black line at the front of the A pillar shrouding is the black line on the glass, not the cable.
P.s. Don't forget it will record all your expletives when some numpty carves you up!!
You LEGEND. What a result. That's put a real shine on my day! Went out armed with a butter knife for some gentle prising and leverage and the only visible cable is now where it leaves the ceiliing trim to drop down to the cam, and where it pops out on the centre console side of the passenger footwell to the 12V socket. Electronics is a bit of a black art to me and, it being a company/lease car, I don't want to get into trouble when it goes in for a service so might leave that bit well alone unless its super easy and super reversible.

But I wondered about the 'permanently live' 12V socket. I'd noticed the little LED on the plug still being on when everything was switched off and locked, and wondered if it was on some kind of timer. Apparently not! Another Skoda-ism?

I guess, as long as the cam is not connected and is stowed, then, in the worst case scenario, the only power drain is the LED on the plug...

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Errr, would it not be easier to l the plug out of the socket?
I wouldn't unplug the lead from the camera any more than you need to. The contracts are renowned for being a bit flimsy. Csm should only be unplugged to download card contents and I don't even do that. I take the card out of the cam.
It is so much easier to hard wire it. When I'm next on pooter I'll try and find the details and pics on how to do it & post link here. Really is seemples.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Colin Lambert said:
I wouldn't unplug the lead from the camera any more than you need to. The contracts are renowned for being a bit flimsy. Csm should only be unplugged to download card contents and I don't even do that. I take the card out of the cam.
It is so much easier to hard wire it. When I'm next on pooter I'll try and find the details and pics on how to do it & post link here. Really is seemples.
If you have easy to follow directions I'd be delighted. I can't tell you how chuffed I am with the finish on the cable run now. Its a step away from a professional fit.

Absolutely easier to pull the 12V plug - And, in normal operation, the best way to go. My worry is the drain on the battery from the little indicator light on the 12V plug end... If I forget to unplug it... which I will do eventually because driving on the wrong side of the road all day with two tired kids will mean that, on stopping, my attention and memory will be preoccupied with remembering how to say things like 'I'd like to check in please' in French, German or Italian, and getting my kids settled :lol:

While I'm probably worrying over nothing, I had a Volvo 460 once that developed a curious battery drain problem which turned out to be the glovebox light. It wasn't switching off because something was fouling the closing switch, when it was shut. That little light drained the battery dead 3 times before we found the root of the problem but demonstrated how even a small power drain could kill a car battery over time.

So: I am really interested in a solution that will avoid that scenario... but also won't get me into trouble ;)

As for stowing the camera: not super worried. The power is plugged into the mount, rather than the unit. The mount has a slideable socket with contacts that just lets you easily slide the unit on and off without having to yank any wiring. So, easy to pop off and stow. Its a nice feature, especially if you have a higher end model (else, leaving £100+ worth of gear on display in the windscreen!) but not so important on my teeny entry level model. Even so, I'd rather not have my car broken into for some thief to find out the hard way how cheap my little dashcam is :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
I choose to leave my dashcam on show, but have it on "parking mode" in case of a stationary hit.

·
Registered
947 Posts
MoominPapa said:
I choose to leave my dashcam on show, but have it on "parking mode" in case of a stationary hit.
Been told the best thing to do if you have an accident which was not your fault is not to disclose to the 3rd party that footage exists. The premise is that you give them the opportunity to purger themselves so that you can later discredit their account of the accident.

Uploading footage before any claim is completed could also jeopardise your case assuming the insurers use it, some insurers still don't use dashcam footage as evidence.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's good to point this kind of thing out and agreed on both points.

_I'm honest_ and have put my hands up to faults that were mine but I recognise that other people are not. For those people, I'm perfectly happy to let them dig their own holes use footage to bury them.

I'm also aware of jeopardising the admissability of footage by releasing it into the public domain.

Both important points and good for wider awareness on this forum.

·
Registered
289 Posts
MoominPapa said:
Agreed that sharing video footage online is a pretty poor thing to do regardless, but definitely not to be even considered if using it as evidence in a contested claim.

What I might have badly expressed is that I leave my dashcam discretely tucked away in the front windscreen even when parked up rather than take it down as it is able to give me at least a chance in identifying when I've been hit when I am not in the car. Yes it displays a possible item to steal, but that's the trade off I am willing to make.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Jon,
Spot on! I would agree with that!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
dalglir said:
Colin Lambert said:
If you have easy to follow directions I'd be delighted. I can't tell you how chuffed I am with the finish on the cable run now. Its a step away from a professional fit.

Absolutely easier to pull the 12V plug - And, in normal operation, the best way to go. My worry is the drain on the battery from the little indicator light on the 12V plug end... If I forget to unplug it... which I will do eventually because driving on the wrong side of the road all day with two tired kids will mean that, on stopping, my attention and memory will be preoccupied with remembering how to say things like 'I'd like to check in please' in French, German or Italian, and getting my kids settled :lol:

While I'm probably worrying over nothing, I had a Volvo 460 once that developed a curious battery drain problem which turned out to be the glovebox light. It wasn't switching off because something was fouling the closing switch, when it was shut. That little light drained the battery dead 3 times before we found the root of the problem but demonstrated how even a small power drain could kill a car battery over time.

So: I am really interested in a solution that will avoid that scenario... but also won't get me into trouble ;)

As for stowing the camera: not super worried. The power is plugged into the mount, rather than the unit. The mount has a slideable socket with contacts that just lets you easily slide the unit on and off without having to yank any wiring. So, easy to pop off and stow. Its a nice feature, especially if you have a higher end model (else, leaving £100+ worth of gear on display in the windscreen!) but not so important on my teeny entry level model. Even so, I'd rather not have my car broken into for some thief to find out the hard way how cheap my little dashcam is :D
Here is the URL for the fitting instructions. Scroll right to the top for the full story. For some reason the URL seems topen the thread halfway down.
https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=645&p=6293&hilit=Dash+cam#p6293
Unfortunately those robbing bar stewards Botophukit have decided to charge £hundreds just to allow use of pics on fora, Needless to say, I and thousands of others, have declined their kind offer to rob us blind I now use imgur.com. (easier to use never frozen or collapsed so far and FREE!) I shall now have to spend some time trying to find the pics and move them onto imgur.
So as they say in the services.....'Wait one'!
15 mins later........
Here we go then. PB would not even allow me to open or edit the pics, so you will just have to put up with the tick showing.Sorry slightly out of focus. I had to 'big them up' to be legible. The yellow bit in pic 2 is the airbag switch connector.To avoid strain on the wiring by allowing the panel to hang from the wires, disconnect it.
On the pic showing the earth connection.....There is a bolt nearer the piggyback but it is almost impossibly to get a 'torx'driver into it and it has to be removed completely.
By using the one higher up behind the side panel, there is enough 'tail' on the bolt just to slip the eye connector over the tail and all you have to do is find a nut in your 'bitsbox' to fit. No need to undo anything.

[URL=http://i.imgur.com/tHFRXby.png]http://i.imgur.com/tHFRXby.png[/URL][/img The yellow bit is the airbag switch/plug. disconnect to avoid straining wiring or the panel will hang on the wires.
[img][URL=http://i.imgur.com/Nfb5upQ.png]http://i.imgur.com/Nfb5upQ.png[/URL]
[URL=http://i.imgur.com/Nfb5upQ.png]http://i.imgur.com/Nfb5upQ.png[/URL][/img
[img][URL=http://i.imgur.com/Nfb5upQ.png]http://i.imgur.com/Nfb5upQ.png[/URL]

Whatever you do take note of the warning in the original post. DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION ON DURING INSTALLATION especially with the airbag switch disconnected! OR YOU WILL B*GGER UP THE ELECTRONICS ON THE CAR AND GET A SPURIOUS AIRBAG WARNING, which only a VCDS machine can put right. If you are honest, like me and own up, the dealer may well charge you 30 minutes labour, £48 in my case!!
Your choice of camera as far as size goes, is good, not much bigger than mine. If you put it as near the 'dotty' part of the screen it will hardly be noticeable. I see that, like mine, your power cable goes into the base not the camera and the camera has slide connections . THESE ARE THE ONES that DO NOT like being interfered with on a regular basis. Take my tip. LEAVE IT Connected.
As an aside. The red LED on the plug would probably take a month to flatten your battery! But if you leave it and the camera all plugged in. The camera may over heat and it may well flatten the battery fairly quickly. Unless you can train yourself to pull the plug out of the cigar lighter socket every time you stop. (I could not!) HARD WIRE IT.
When you come to hand the car in, all you have to do
(simple version) cut the wire and remove the camera.
(complicated version. remove the piggyback fuse holder and earth connection. I know which I would do for the cost of a new piggy back for the next car!
Good luck.
If you need anymore help, P.M. me and I will give you my email and phone number.
Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts