Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking forward to getting my new Kodiaq in the middle of December. My Skoda dealer sells Nextbase Dash Cams, identical to the one I have in my present vehicle. I asked them if I could either have mine hard wired into my new vehicle or buy a new one from their showroom.

The answer to my astonishment was NO!! I asked on what grounds they would not do it, even if I brought a brand new one from their showrooms. I was told that it would invalidate the warranty on the vehicle, but I could have cables trailing all over the vehicle, if I wanted to plug it into my cigarette lighter.

My question is a) is that correct and b) if they won't hard wire it why do they selll them in the showroom. Halfords will hard wire it for £30.00- Will that invalidate my warranty.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had mine hard wired in by my dealer for exactly the reason for not invalidating my warranty if I or a 3rd party installer did the job.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Technically the warranty on anything you 'modify' will be void... so that will be just the one fuse you power it from!

Personally I would start looking for a different dealer!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I picked up my bear from the dealership on Tuesday and they had hard wired mine with no issues. In fact when the dealership was specifying my bear they offered the dash cam as an option so I said yes.

Regards

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I hard wired my own. It took me about 30 minutes because I had to work out what to do, but you can now read about how to do it here.......https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=645&hilit=Dash+cam+instal

If you interfere with ANY electrical circuit you MAY invalidate the warranty, if your interference is what has cause the warranty claim.
IF anything happens, I shall simply uninstall it before reporting the facts.
Many of us have fitted dash cams and 'Throttle Boxes' with no reported problems so far.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My dealer has offered to wire mine in for me asthe 12v socket is a constant live.

·
Registered
407 Posts
A tip for anyone hard wiring a dash cam in and leaving it running permanently, even in 'parking mode'.

The Start/Stop system does not like this, and you will after a few weeks find that the Start/Stop system is regularly unavailable due to the battery voltage dropping below a threshold.

Use something like a PowerMagic Pro to protect your battery.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wonder how long it would be before it flattens the battery if it's left constantly on?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Lord Muck said:
I wonder how long it would be before it flattens the battery if it's left constantly on?
On my MKII Superb 4 days was comfortable, 5 days would be touch and go if it started (during the winter with the car parked outside)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Lord Muck said:
Don't go there - you will need a new battery before you know it. The batteries on Stop/Start cars are not designed for a constant low current drain.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
andyvee said:
A tip for anyone hard wiring a dash cam in and leaving it running permanently, even in 'parking mode'.

The Start/Stop system does not like this, and you will after a few weeks find that the Start/Stop system is regularly unavailable due to the battery voltage dropping below a threshold.

Use something like a PowerMagic Pro to protect your battery.
I am confused? The above is only pertinent if you are daft enough to hard wire the camera to a permanently 'live' circuit.
It will only remain on permanently if.
1 you plug it into the constantly live 12v socket or
2 you hard wire it to a constantly 'live' circuit. (why would you?}
If you do as I suggest (and have done, as have others) & you use a 'piggy back' fuse into the rear wiper fuse slot (which is obviously ignition controlled) the camera will turn off/on every time you turn the ignition off/on.
Seemples!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Depends where you park the vehicle... it can be useful to record someone bumping into your car whilst it is parked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am pleased to be able to report a total success. Having emailed the CEO I had a phone call from the customer support staff who I have to say have been exceedingly helpful who having looked into the matter and now tell me that there is a "brand-new" hardwire available for my dash cam and it can be fitted accordingly on my car without interfering with the warranty.

Skoda have even managed to deliver my new car very quickly and it will be coming on Thursday, 3 weeks earlier than anticipated, and I can pick it up the following Wednesday with my dash cam hard wired as I wanted in the first place.

Thank you for all the support you have given me on the forum, I have learnt a lot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As per another thread on this forum, the wiring for a dashcam does tuck very, very neatly behind the trim along the whole path: either to the fuses or right by the 12V socket. I just plug mine and out of the 12V as necessary which is fractionally pesty, but there are zero trailing wires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts