Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A heads up for the future for those fitting new dash cams or current NB for people swapping camera from previous car.
Most 'ordinary' Micro SD cards are not built for constant overwriting.
I took my card out to check something I thought I had recorded, only to find it hadn't recorded anything for 3 months and then only one file.
I contacted Vantrue (my cam is a Vantrue N1). they were most helpful.
Upshot of it is that they will only last about 2 years. Vantrue recommend Samsung EVO 32 . Which should last much longer and is no more expensive than other makes.
I did find however that by reformatting my old Sandisk it is working again, but for how long I don't know.
So the suggestion is that if your SD card is anything over a year. it would be a good idea to check it and reformat it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Most dashcam manufacturers advise on reformatting the card more often than once annually. Personally, I reformat mine every other week.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ideally you need a High Endurance SD card that are more resilient to overwrites. I use a Transcend card. They are more expensive but significantly more reliable and compatible with dash cams .. you still need to format regularly though .. I have set my Vicovation to auto reformat every 2 months ..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.