Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I was involved in a crash due to the ice on Monday. My bear stopped beautifully on the icy hill but the Renault behind me decided to join me. The other parties insurance has accepted full responsibility but do I now insist on a skoda bodywork garage or do I go with the insurance companies repairer, the insurance company have said they are happy to go with what I'd prefer. Looking for views please.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Always go full dealership IMO

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yep Skoda bodyshop. Always better to have them do any repairs and as they will guarantee the paint to the required standards. I'm not saying a non Skoda bodyshop wouldn't do a good job, but if an issue did come up later, it is easier to go back to the Skoda bodyshop to resolve, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I note you are based in Farnborough. You could try BodyCraft in West Horsley. I have used Eric three times over the last decade. A lot of local dealers contact repairs to him direct. Essentially you miss the middle man. Excellent quality work with good ethics. Dealers do not always rely on good bodyshops as I have found over the years and insurers rely on some awful body shops as I have found to my misfortune. Call him and have a chat. He has a website. I am an OCD kind of guy and he more than met my expectations on quality repairs and costs.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Schoolrun said:
Unfortunately I was involved in a crash due to the ice on Monday. My bear stopped beautifully on the icy hill but the Renault behind me decided to join me. The other parties insurance has accepted full responsibility but do I now insist on a skoda bodywork garage or do I go with the insurance companies repairer, the insurance company have said they are happy to go with what I'd prefer. Looking for views please.
Depends how you purchased it, if on Pesonal Hire contract then it must be done by a Skoda authorised body shop or the contract is breached, this also includes the brand and specification of replacement tyres etc.. Not sure about PCP but it's worth reading your contract.

The issue will be finding someone to recalibrate the camera systems, depending on the damage then it may not be required but anything that affects the camera, radar systems (front and back) and wheel alignment will need recalibration. Makes sure they do it as some body shops won't and some don't even think about it.

If you joined the enSurance scheme that Skoda offers free of charge when you get the car then they will sort out your repairs for you. If like me and your dealer (Border Cars Dumfries - they don't believe in the scheme so actively don't tell their customers) didn't tell you about it you are on your own as they won't touch you. Even if you join the scheme after the accident they won't retrospectively consider any claim. Skoda Exec office washed their hands of it as the policy is outsourced and they weren't really interested.

Finally, expect a long wait. Mine went in for a similar accident ( minor damage - wasn't me) and it took them u weeks to return the car, lack of spare parts in U.K. apparently.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
As the model is new, non approved body shops won't have the experience. Go to Skoda approved.
Good luck!
Please let us know how it goes and how long it takes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going with the skoda body shop at Winchester skoda garage, hopefully won't be too long a wait. I didn't realise how reliant I'd become on the parking pilot, definitely need to pay full attention when reversing at the moment. Interestingly after the skoda looked at the car to produce a repair quote the Winchester garage phone door me to inform me the kodiaq is on recall and they can cover the recall issue at the same time. Not sure why my dealer hasn't informed me of the recall.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
As the model is new, non approved body shops won't have the experience. Go to Skoda approved.
Good luck!
Please let us know how it goes and how long it takes
From experience I would suggest Skoda approved garages don't have a clue either, especially regarding camera calibration.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are a number of variables to consider. First, contract purchase or not you do not have to use a dealer bodyshop. It is recommended though if the repair is not up to scratch you could be liable for costs. consumer rights. If damage is cosmetic then you do not need dealer kit to reconfigure anything. I would also suggest dealer repairs can be subcontracted to third parties. As was the case in my experience. The industry is unregulated and rife with cowboys, from dealers to independants. Take your pick ....

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Do Škoda UK not have a network of approved crash repairers that keep the warranties intact? Interesting

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Most U.K body shops of any repute will guarantee their work for 5 years. But I doubt if it would cover anything other than the body repair.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Pink72 said:
There are a number of variables to consider. First, contract purchase or not you do not have to use a dealer bodyshop. It is recommended though if the repair is not up to scratch you could be liable for costs. consumer rights. If damage is cosmetic then you do not need dealer kit to reconfigure anything. I would also suggest dealer repairs can be subcontracted to third parties. As was the case in my experience. The industry is unregulated and rife with cowboys, from dealers to independants. Take your pick ....
I was told by Skoda that any body damage no matter how minor to any of the key areas for the assist systems (front and rear bumpers but also anything requiring wheel alignment) would require the systems recalibrating especially if they are removed. Seems overly zealous but that was their take on it. That said they are rarely consistent on their recommendations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the replacement parts have arrived and the car goes in next week to get fixed, hopefully they won't find any further damage to the tow bar when they remove the bumper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts