Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
Was looking everywhere but couldn't find my answer.
How to add contacts on a SIM card inserted in the glove-box?

I cannot do manually either transfer from my mobile phone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi blackwhite,

Isnt the sim used as "data only"? I don't have my car yet so can't test but was sure the sim is data only so not sure what you would use the contacts on that sim for, the car should use the contacts on your mobile.

I stand to be corrected on this mind ☺

Cheers
G

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can set the SIM, in the infotainment's settings, to data only or data+calls. I suppose that if you use the latter, and a SIM which allows calls, the car's telephone settings will respond to that SIM, and people will need to ring the number of that SIM to get you.

I've used a data-only card and chosen the "data only" setting, then linked my iPhone with bluetooth. The slotted-in card handles the data requirements of the infotainment system (without costing me any of the phone's data allowance), but calls to my phone come through the system, calls made on the system are fed through my phone, and all contacts on my phone are visible on the system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
From the moment I inserted my Kodiaq SIM, I started wondering about the same thing.
The connection was there, I was so glad to hear, but my contacts were not on the bear!

Seriously, I have the same experience. I found no way to add contacts. I can hook up my phone via BT and download all
contacts, but they will only be present in the infotainment as long as BT is not disconnected. If I turn off BT on the
phone the contacts vanish. If I go for a ride without my phone (not an unlikely scenario, as I have a call / data SIM
in the glove box!), I will be contact-less. If I have the phone in my pocket and for some reason don't have BT enabled
on it, I will see digits instead of names if I get a call.

On the positive side, it will auto-download my contacts whenever the infotainment and phone w/ active BT are powered
on.

If anyone knows a way to 'permanently' store contacts downloaded from a phone, please share your wisdom. :)

@Esnw33430 you can choose if the glove box SIM should be data-only or data+calls via infotainment settings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the correction on my thinking guys, every day is a school day as they say.

More stuff to figure out when mine arrives 🙄
Cheers
G

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just had a quick look in an online manual and it uses rsap to access data and contacts on a connected phone or if a sim is inserted in the external module it automatically trys to download contacts from the inserted sim.

Would appear with both a phone and sim connected we need to select the phone with the contacts we want and do a manual import.

With the phone you want the contacts from connected, access the phone menu on infotainment:

Select the correct phone then>Setup>user profile>import contacts.

Again this is from the manual only so relies on correct documentation and should be user with caution.

Cheers
G

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks guys.
I set up Data + Calls and contacts only works when my Phone is connected via BT - no other option to put contacts on sim which is installed into car slot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I find it ironic that you need to have a BT-enabled phone with you to access your contact list, when you have a full featured phone / data solution in the car with its own SIM.

Downloading contacts over BT is fine, but why can't I choose to store them! The best solution would be if I could sync contacts from my Google account, using the SIMs data connection. I'm a bit surprised none of these options are available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same issue, Sim card with data+calls in the car slot but no contacts when just using just that? Works fine with the BT phone as well, but don't always have that with me, so would love to add contacts (and favourites/photo if that's possible) to the in car sim (or related to that sim) so can easily do calls without my mobile as well.

Anyone get any further on this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had nightmares with our Skoda Kodiaq with two drivers. Who's mobile phone would it sync with when we both were in the car? The fact that the Media system automatically started playing as soon as one of our iPhones was in contact distance, was also very annoying.

So we took the decision to install a dedicated SIM card in the glovebox to be used for data and calls, and setup the Columbus settings to ignore any other mobile phone that it had previously synced with for telephone calls. First issue of course is that the SIM which goes in the glovebox is a Standard-SIM, rather than a Micro-SIM or Nano-SIM as installed in your iPhone. The next issue with this setup is that in order to import any contacts into the Columbus system you need to have your contacts on the SIM card - remember the 1990's before mobile phones had all your contacts in the phone memory, they were on your SIM.

We found an old Nokia mobile that would accept the Standard-SIM, laboriously input all the contacts onto the SIM, out to the car and installed in the glovebox.

This was to no avail. Get in the car with a previously synced mobile phone, and it immediately decided to ignore settings and use that mobile phone for contacts and phone calls, completely ignoring the SIM in the glovebox. And of course always immediately started playing music from that Bluetooth registered phone.

The only way to ensure that the Columbus system uses the glovebox SIM, and it's contacts is to delete any paired mobile phones and switch off Bluetooth. Phone contacts images display as blanks of course, as the SIM is not capable of storing photo images associated with contacts.

The next problem of course is how to play music from your mobile phone device over the car's Columbus system, now that Bluetooth is disabled. Let's use an iPhone cable into the cars USB socket. That immediately starts CarPlay. - Why on earth do I want all the benefits of the Skoda Columbus system now disabled, and my iPhone being the dedicated device!!!!!!?????. But there is a way on the Columbus SmartLink / CarPlay system to disable CarPlay from starting when you connect your mobile phone. It is specific to each mobile phone that you connect via the cable, but it does remember for each mobile phone. You have to suffer CarPlay starting up just once though to find the option to disable it.

So we now have a car which uses the onboard SIM for calls and data. And music from our mobile devices that we can control from the car when we connect the USB cable.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issues. Took us nearly 3 months to sort it out!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't think you need to go that extreme.

From the "Telephone" screen, Settings->Bluetooth allows you to tick and untick Bluetooth audio, so if you don't like it, you can just turn it off.

Settings->Select Mobile Phone allows you to choose which phones it is paired to for calls. You can designate which should be the primary and which should be the secondary. It will show contacts from the primary phone, but also allow you to receive calls from the secondary phone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I guess we all have different use cases...I would not be happy if any of my 'friends' are so careless to leave my contact details for all to access on an unsecured sim.

From a convenience perspective I'd also not like to introduce another number to my friends. I mean they aren't mind readers as to when I'm driving are they? So why would I 'force' anyone to learn another number.

If passengers really want to have their phone calls for everyone to listen in on the onboard system, they they could always answer on their own phone and then use bluetooth to connect as a speaker as when required.

Personally I think some are overcomplicating this unnecessarily. KISS is always the best approach.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you really want contacts stored on a SIM?? You'll be limited to one number per contact entry and issues with duplicating/updating/editing as you change update wherever you store your 'master' contact list (e.g. iCloud, Google Contacts etc). I think we moved away from storing phone numbers on the sim itself about 15 years ago didn't we?!

I don't use a SIM inserted in the module so haven't played around with it like the previous posters have, but contacts stored on the SIM surely can't be the way to go...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wasn't seeking people's opinions, rather explaining what I found worked in our particular scenario.

I'd rather be in control, rather than some AI deciding that it knows better than I do

·
Registered
124 Posts
berrio said:
I wasn't seeking people's opinions, rather explaining what I found worked in our particular scenario.

I'd rather be in control, rather than some AI deciding that it knows better than I do
Roflmao you may want to read up what a forum is about if you don't want any discussion ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but isn't the car delivered with a SIM if you've ordered it with say remote heating for example?

·
Registered
119 Posts
PapaBear said:
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but isn't the car delivered with a SIM if you've ordered it with say remote heating for example?
They're all delivered with a SIM but it's only used for some of the functions such as Remote Access info and Emergency Assist Calling.

If you want data for the 'Infotainment' functions then you need to add your own SIM or provide another Internet source such as a mobile hotspot

·
Registered
66 Posts
bother said:
They're all delivered with a SIM but it's only used for some of the functions such as Remote Access info and Emergency Assist Calling.

If you want data for the 'Infotainment' functions then you need to add your own SIM or provide another Internet source such as a mobile hotspot
I see, thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
berrio said:
I had nightmares with our Skoda Kodiaq with two drivers. Who's mobile phone would it sync with when we both were in the car? The fact that the Media system automatically started playing as soon as one of our iPhones was in contact distance, was also very annoying.

So we took the decision to install a dedicated SIM card in the glovebox to be used for data and calls, and setup the Columbus settings to ignore any other mobile phone that it had previously synced with for telephone calls. First issue of course is that the SIM which goes in the glovebox is a Standard-SIM, rather than a Micro-SIM or Nano-SIM as installed in your iPhone. The next issue with this setup is that in order to import any contacts into the Columbus system you need to have your contacts on the SIM card - remember the 1990's before mobile phones had all your contacts in the phone memory, they were on your SIM.

We found an old Nokia mobile that would accept the Standard-SIM, laboriously input all the contacts onto the SIM, out to the car and installed in the glovebox.
If you ever find you have to do this again don't make it such hard work. Just knock the SIM down to size, pop it in your phone and transfer the contacts. Then use an adaptor to put in the car. The SIM slot in the car is the correct size as there's no need for them to cut it down for space saving like a mobile phone manufacturer has to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts