Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it might be interesting to get ideas of what the different engines/transmission are doing to the gallon.
Mine,
1.4 DSG 2WD now covered 340 miles Did round trip over the weekend of 80 miles . outward I had it on E and got 41.1mpg . A mixture of A roads traveling at 60mph whenever possible.
Homeward used 'Normal' on same route but got stuck behind a full ready-mix lorry 44.8mpg
Today 48 mile trip using town driving (10 miles in total) + dual carriage ways at up to 70mph 37.9mpg
You have 3 choices of consumption. 'Long term'. 'Since fill up' & 'Since Start'
'Longterm' overall 35.6mpg.
When the engine loosens up (about 4-5K miles) I expect the consumption to be very close to the claimed overall of 44mpg.
Interestingly in E the gear box goes into neutral as soon as you take your foot off the throttle but gets into gear if a hill is too steep and it thinks you need some engine braking. All clever stuff!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good post Colin.

My overall is currently mid-30's mpg, but slowly going up as it loosens-up. Garage tells me I should eventually get low 40's with this vehicle.

In a couple of months time it's going to Switzerland and back. I will be interested to try various modes & speeds on the deliciously empty autoroutes. In the Octavia tilting the sunroof cost 2mpg!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been on a drive with the test car which is 2.0 Tdi 190HP 4x4 DSG and it had avg fuel consumtpion 7.4 l/100km (31MPG) at 350km (it's a test car and people will rev it hard) and i've done about 20km with it and reduced the avg fuel consumption to 7.0 l/100km (33MPG). I reckon it will due about 6 - 6.5 l/100km (40MPG) in my hands. Compared to my Grand Cherokee 4.7l V8 and doing 14l /100km (17MPG) I will be happy anything under 7l/100km (33MPG).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Now done 2k miles in my 190 DSG with overall average (as shown by trip computer) of 41.9mpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
DaveAldi,

I'm also getting the 190DSG so thanks for posting as to get that kind of MPG this early is pretty encouraging. I used to have a Land Rover Discovery Sport (2.0L Auto) and was very disappointed. Okay I do have a bit of a heavy right foot but I was averaging around 34.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2.0 TDI 150 DSG.
A 270 mile trip over Easter in terrible motorway traffic and got 49 mpg.
Return leg with no traffic and at a fairly steady 74mph (GPS), also got 49 mpg!

2 passengers and lots of luggage.

·
Registered
221 Posts
gary said:
2.0 TDI 150 DSG.
A 270 mile trip over Easter in terrible motorway traffic and got 49 mpg.
Return leg with no traffic and at a fairly steady 74mph (GPS), also got 49 mpg!

2 passengers and lots of luggage.
That seems very good. What is the claimed MPG for that engine?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Asking this as a bit of a "hypermiler" - could coasting in neutral (with clutch pedal up) along a slight downhill gradient do any harm to a 4WD Kodiaq (manual)?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's easing up!
Just did 40 miles cross country. Fast A roads & dual carriageways . Big hills up only slopes down.
Pan roof fully open, drivers windows fully open.
41mpg . Quite chuffed with that! :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
It's easing up!
Just did 40 miles cross country. Fast A roads & dual carriageways . Big hills up only slopes down.
Pan roof fully open, drivers windows fully open.
41mpg . Quite chuffed with that! :D
Very nice!

My 190PS diesel is currently averaging 38.5 MPG since I picked it up.....that's over 600 miles (with a total of 610 miles on the clock). That's a real mix of driving now, and with an engine which inevitably is still "tight".

As expected for this Diesel engine, short runs (a couple of miles into town, etc.) with a cold engine are very inefficient......down in the low 20's. The best I've had was a 50 mile motorway run in moderate traffic (speeds varying between 40 and 70ish) using ACC for much of it, and I got 47MPG.

Bearing in mind that in my previous LR Disco Sport (2.0 TDI) I got a very disappointing 33 MPG as average (even after being run in) with the same driving style, I'm very happy to be getting 38'ish this early on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My 2.0 tdi 150 after running in for 1000 miles is averaging 41 but I am driving it hard as this will improve long term mpg. I.e. Regular 90 on m way and keep revs up round 4000 on back roads. Brilliant car. Will expect to average 45+ long term.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just for comparison from the petrol crew, I've gone 1200 miles into mine and averaged since the start 39.6 mpg using a brim to brim method. I do a 50:50 mix of town and motorway miles when it has been roadworthy.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My overall consumption over 2279 miles on Maxidot is 35.1
My recent 500odd mile North Devon trip, with some fast M way and some long, v steep hills, on a brim to brim method has been 35.4

·
Registered
138 Posts
About 1800miles for my 2.0 150 TDI, and I'm seeing the mpg starting to creep up from around 40.5 to just under 42mpg now; mix of good speed commuting during the week and hammering it around at the weekend getting child X to location Y.

At first, I was a lot more cautious to put foot down as the mpg plummeted, but noticing it not suffer so much of a hit in last week or so. Given up on eco mode as I found no benefit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Marinfullsuss said:
Asking this as a bit of a "hypermiler" - could coasting in neutral (with clutch pedal up) along a slight downhill gradient do any harm to a 4WD Kodiaq (manual)?
It would more than likely do no harm. but you would use more fuel. On the over run with your foot of the gas pedal in gear your car burns no fuel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have done about 4000km, a mixture of short school runs, 30 minute shopping trips and 1.5 hour days out. I live in a very hilly place. I am pleased to report long term average of 42MPG. Which is exactly double what I was getting on my previous car, (1998 Toyota Land Cruiser Colorado). I am really pleased with that. The amount we are saving in fuel is paying the monthly finance installment!

·
Registered
942 Posts
debsnal said:
Marinfullsuss said:
It would more than likely do no harm. but you would use more fuel. On the over run with your foot of the gas pedal in gear your car burns no fuel.
Ignoring the fact that it would not save fuel it is also dangerous and quite frankly stupid and you are a liability; I cannot see any good reason why you would want to coast a car.

If you want to go some way in doing this then use Eco mode as it does this to a certain degree but in a more controlled and safer manner you can, personally I hate Eco mode as it has never shown any significant improvement over normal, my Octavia vRS has achieved 65mpg on a regular basis without using Eco mode. For me engine braking is key for safer, smoother and faster driving as the car is under more control.

If you want to reduce fuel consumption then turn off anything you don't need and employ more professional driving techniques such as correct gear selection, smoother driving techniques including more refined acceleration and deceleration but also good observation which will improve fuel efficiency by anticipating the movement of other vehicles

·
Registered
19 Posts
1000 miles trip to Czech rep. with my 2.0tdi 150 DSG last week. 2 adults, 2 kids, 1x 40kg dog, big roof box, air con non stop. Average 41Mpg/ 6.9l/100km. I thing that is not bad specially with roof box and air con all the way and I didn't drive to save fuel :). Mostly on motorway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I regularly get over 70mpg in my Octavia Greenline 3. I'm going to miss that when the Kodiaq arrives (but I don't do the mileage to make it economically viable any more)

1 - 20 of 87 Posts