Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Due to having a small baby we are considering getting rid of our sporty bmw and buying a skoda (karoq or kodiaq, 2017 - 2018). If I decide to go for the kodiaq I was wondering if the 1.5 engine is powerful enough to not feel slugish or should I go for the 2.0 (petrol).
Also I heard many reviews saying that the dsg is not smooth enough, some owners complained about the dsg gearbox on the VW Golf. Are these auto gearboxes unreliable?

Many thanks

·
Registered
2022 sportline in race blue
33 Posts
I have had the DSG in my previous VW with the 1.5 engine for the last 2 years ran flawlessly I covered 33k in that time. Just got a new 1.5 DSG Kodiaq and it’s even smoother no issues just done a run down to Paris in if for work and pulls all the way up to 150/160KPH. Used to run a 2.0D landrover discovery sport and I can’t tell the real world different tbh maybe on the odd motorway over take but it’s not a sports car so don’t drive it like one. I get around 40mpg on a run fully loaded with 2 adults 4 kids and luggage and about 45ish on my own of less loaded

·
Registered
90 Posts
1.5 is powerful enough for me but it may not be for you. You'll have to test drive one.
You say sporty BMW - is it an SUV or a saloon? I find BMW engines generally good on economy so if you're coming from a saloon then be prepared for a hit on fuel economy. BMW SUV's should be about the same.

DSG? Think of there being two types of DSG - a dry clutch and a wet clutch. All 1.5tsi Kodiaq's have the wet clutch so DSG no more less troublesome than any other gearbox. The stories you'll have read will refer to the older DQ200 dry clutch DSG's which were used on engines 1.6 litres and under. The older DQ200 boxes had a problem ( which has since been rectified ).
Note: The 1.5tsi engine was only available on Kodiaq from mid 2018 in the UK, prior to that they used a very similar 1.4tsi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1.5 is powerful enough for me but it may not be for you. You'll have to test drive one.
You say sporty BMW - is it an SUV or a saloon? I find BMW engines generally good on economy so if you're coming from a saloon then be prepared for a hit on fuel economy. BMW SUV's should be about the same.

DSG? Think of there being two types of DSG - a dry clutch and a wet clutch. All 1.5tsi Kodiaq's have the wet clutch so DSG no more less troublesome than any other gearbox. The stories you'll have read will refer to the older DQ200 dry clutch DSG's which were used on engines 1.6 litres and under. The older DQ200 boxes had a problem ( which has since been rectified ).
Note: The 1.5tsi engine was only available on Kodiaq from mid 2018 in the UK, prior to that they used a very similar 1.4tsi
I doubt it will be worse on fuel economy than my BMW. I have a saloon but it's a 3.0L petrol engine. I will test drive both a Kodiaq and a Karoq. Just from looking online the Kodiaq seems huge and might not actually need it. I noticed there are some with 1.4 TSI but would definitely go for a 1.5 or higher if I will decide to go with the Kodiaq.
Thank you for the answers

·
Registered
90 Posts
I doubt it will be worse on fuel economy than my BMW. I have a saloon but it's a 3.0L petrol engine. I will test drive both a Kodiaq and a Karoq. Just from looking online the Kodiaq seems huge and might not actually need it. I noticed there are some with 1.4 TSI but would definitely go for a 1.5 or higher if I will decide to go with the Kodiaq.
Thank you for the answers
So not BMW's most economical engine then.

Just a little background:
It's the exact same engine in both 1.5tsi Karoq and Kodiaq but the Karoq does come with that DQ200 which proved to be troublesome on early cars. Google DQ200 DSG Mechatronics and that should explain everything. ( it was only really with early gearboxes, the latter ones are much more reliable ).

They were called dry clutch gearboxes but that isn't exactly true. They had oil but it was 'sealed for life' at the factory i.e. there was no requirement to have an oil change like other gearboxes. And that's where the problems originated from. Initially VW used an oil which wasn't up to the task and it caused failures. In later gearboxes they used a different grade of oil, hence much more reliable. Despite VW saying the gearbox is sealed for life, canny people on early cars would still change the oil.

However I can assure you that in real world driving, a 1.5tsi DSG Karoq is much more economical than a 1.5tsi DSG Kodiaq.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

It's the exact same engine in both 1.5tsi Karoq and Kodiaq but the Karoq does come with that DQ200 which proved to be troublesome on early cars. Google DQ200 DSG Mechatronics and that should explain everything. ( it was only really with early gearboxes, the latter ones are much more reliable ).

They were called dry clutch gearboxes but that isn't exactly true. They had oil but it was 'sealed for life' at the factory i.e. there was no requirement to have an oil change like other gearboxes. And that's where the problems originated from. Initially VW used an oil which wasn't up to the task and it caused failures. In later gearboxes they used a different grade of oil, hence much more reliable. Despite VW saying the gearbox is sealed for life, canny people on early cars would still change the oil.

However I can assure you that in real world driving, a 1.5tsi DSG Karoq is much more economical than a 1.5tsi DSG Kodiaq.
I have enquired about a test drive with a Karoq this weekend. The car is 1.5tsi DSG and is 2019. What years have the DQ200 DSGs?

·
Registered
2022 1.5 TSI DSG Sportline Race Blue
4 Posts

Misleading, the DQ200 is a dry clutch gearbox, as in the clutches are not bathed in oil as in the “wet clutch “ derivative. The wet clutch gearbox does require an oil change as the oil and filter get contaminated with clutch friction material etc, the dry clutch is the same as a manual gearbox and has no maintenance required.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Misleading, the DQ200 is a dry clutch gearbox, as in the clutches are not bathed in oil as in the “wet clutch “ derivative. The wet clutch gearbox does require an oil change as the oil and filter get contaminated with clutch friction material etc, the dry clutch is the same as a manual gearbox and has no maintenance required.
Misleading? As per above. It's not designed to be a serviceable item but some people with DQ200 transmission have their oil changed.

There are several videos on YouTube showing how to change oil on a DQ200. example: DQ200 oil change video

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well no great shock there then, the Karoq is significantly lighter and smaller than the Kodiaq...
And I guess that a 1.5tsi DSG Kamiq would be more economical than either...

Skoda quotes 40.7mpg WLTP for the Kodiaq, 45.7mpg for the Karoq and 47.4mpg for the Kamiq.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well no great shock there then, the Karoq is significantly lighter and smaller than the Kodiaq...
And I guess that a 1.5tsi DSG Kamiq would be more economical than either...

Skoda quotes 40.7mpg WLTP for the Kodiaq, 45.7mpg for the Karoq and 47.4mpg for the Kamiq.
That's WLTP. It obviously depends how you drive the cars but real-world you're talking 8mpg difference, in the winter months you're in to double digits difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm afraid to say I'm not a great fan of these DSG gearboxes. I'm sure they are very reliable but mine at least (2.0 TDi) is just not smooth enough.

It's ok if you're a smooth, relaxed driver but I am not - I enjoy the acceleration the engine has but trying to get off the line smoothly or quickly is not fun. I'm spoiled by my previous hybrid Lexus which used the electric motors to get you off the line, giving the petrol engine time to join in - the result was always seamless and instant acceleration.

The DSG has noticeable lag which in certain circumstances (trying to pull out into a gap in traffic) is downright dangerous. Press the accelerator and the computer spends a second trying to decide whether it needs to change down first and, if it does, that change is painfully slow IMO.

In other driving, it is fine and perfectly smooth - it's just at low speeds where it isn't great.

If it wasn't for my caravan (which needs a hefty towcar and the Kodiaq is VERY good at), I might have gone for something else.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm afraid to say I'm not a great fan of these DSG gearboxes. I'm sure they are very reliable but mine at least (2.0 TDi) is just not smooth enough.

It's ok if you're a smooth, relaxed driver but I am not - I enjoy the acceleration the engine has but trying to get off the line smoothly or quickly is not fun. I'm spoiled by my previous hybrid Lexus which used the electric motors to get you off the line, giving the petrol engine time to join in - the result was always seamless and instant acceleration.

The DSG has noticeable lag which in certain circumstances (trying to pull out into a gap in traffic) is downright dangerous. Press the accelerator and the computer spends a second trying to decide whether it needs to change down first and, if it does, that change is painfully slow IMO.

In other driving, it is fine and perfectly smooth - it's just at low speeds where it isn't great.

If it wasn't for my caravan (which needs a hefty towcar and the Kodiaq is VERY good at), I might have gone for something else.
Hmm, sounds like you need a pedalbox for your car as that's meant to markedly improve the pickup. Often you think it's the gearbox being slow, but it can also be the response to throttle input that has a delay built in. A pedalbox is designed to remove this and is relatively easy to self-fit. Entirely possible that it won't affect your insurance either as it's not a performance mod.

You can also get software remaps for the DSG, but tbh, it's not really worth it on a Kodiaq - it's not designed to be a performance car!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, I have considered that but I really wanted to check with someone to see if it actually worked and didn't cause other issues (like making it too jerky) - I asked the question in another thread but it seems no one on here has fitted it?

I've sort of resigned myself to living with it because the car is very good in all other areas and maybe I shouldn't be expecting so much - it is a hefty SUV after all, not a Porsche (although my Lexus...no, stop it!).

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes, I have considered that but I really wanted to check with someone to see if it actually worked and didn't cause other issues (like making it too jerky) - I asked the question in another thread but it seems no one on here has fitted it?

I've sort of resigned myself to living with it because the car is very good in all other areas and maybe I shouldn't be expecting so much - it is a hefty SUV after all, not a Porsche (although my Lexus...no, stop it!).
Sounds like you’re missing your posh Toyota…!

I think Skoda missed a trick with not introducing a hybrid option when the face lift Kodiaq came out last year. It’s not like it isn’t possible as Seat offer one on the Tarraco which is essentially the same car with a Seat grill…

·
Registered
27 Posts
I changed the car in Feb of this year, just before the Ukraine war started and everything went to pot...now I'm paying a hefty monthly payment when before I was paying zip...it's my own fault :confused:

The Skoda is an improvement overall BUT not by the amount I am paying for it and that grates on me.

Admittedly, I have just worked out how to raise the centre armrest, which (no joke) has made me much happier. Its amazing the difference in comfort on a long journey if you can rest your arm easily (the door on the Skoda is just too high/far away for me).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I enjoy the acceleration the engine has but trying to get off the line smoothly or quickly is not fun. I'm spoiled by my previous hybrid Lexus which used the electric motors to get you off the line, giving the petrol engine time to join in - the result was always seamless and instant acceleration.
See many people saying this. Not sure it will ever be as good as some other autos but just a couple of tips worth trying ( if you haven't done so already )

1: People complain about pulling in to traffic from standstill. In my experience it's autohold that's the culprit, not the gearbox. It does take a moment for autohold to release. If anyone does have this issue then try disabling autohold and see if that improves the situation.

2: For moving in to traffic on the go, I flick the gear lever so it goes to Sport Mode and I honestly don't have any fear of overtaking. That said I haven't driven the tdi so have no experience of that engine. The only thought about the 1.5tsi when flooring the accelerator is the engine quickly runs out of puff. But's it's a 1.5tsi, I expected no more. ( It's actually better than I was expecting. ).

Not sure if any of that will help you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions - I originally didn't use the auto hold and still had the problem. I'm now quite adept at touching the throttle (to release the auto hold) and then accelerating; it's just the 'FFS-MOVE!!' moment that still happens. Its actually worse if you floor it - I've found I actually move off quicker by accelerating more gently and then accelerating harder after a couple of seconds, once the initial lag is over.

When you floor it, that's when the computer seems to go into 'what gear do I want' mode...and, annoyingly, it still does that in manual mode, I think because it wants to be sure you aren't trying to change down with revs too high, risking damage? I don't know...

·
Registered
2022 kodiaq 1.5 tsi DSG SE
1 Posts
Back to the OP . I've just got a 1.5tsi DSG on 4th July . Never drove an auto before so can't compare it to other autos . So far the car has been very good and the DSG box is as smooth as butter . Can't even notice it changing gear. Coming from a diesel the fuel consumption was a shock , thought there was a hole in the fuel tank , its now settled down to 35mpg. I would say if the Karoq is big enough then go for that. I can't see the point of getting a car thats bigger than you need . As regards power it's plenty powerful enough for anyone not hoping to get taken on by red bull racing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts