Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Columbus System - Putting my Library on SD Cards

41K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  Zach 
#1 ·
Hopefully someone can advise and this is the right place to ask.

Looking to put my fairly large CD Library on SD cards to plug into the 2 SD Card slots. I want to put into the best format for quality rather than going to put as much as possible on the card(s). Plan to do this before the car arrives in July so looking to get ahead and start the process soon.

Can anyone advise the best format to use and a data rate I should select for optimum quality? I know that most will just opt for MP3 but wanted to check if other formats are supported and whether there is any benefit of using them.

Also, can the readers take 128GB SD cards? Some slots on other devices seem to be limited to only reading 32 or 64 GB.

Last question, I read somewhere on the forum that the Columbus system offers the option of ripping a disc when you insert it. That will then get saved onto the limited memory. Is it then possible to transfer it over to the SD cards or not? Probably want to keep the system memory as free as possible for system upgrades.

Thanks for any advice.
:)

See less See more
#2 ·
I was also going to ask about this and wanted to add:
Will it shuffle the music or play in order of each file?

#3 ·
FYI, i did this this weekend on a 64gb SDXC card from Sandisk... doesn't get recognized.... don't know why... tried putting the music file at root level and in folder structure... no luck... I had done the same in my previous Yeti (which had a larger HD anyway...) with no issue at all...

I'll be curious to hear what other have to say...

#4 ·
OlivierW11 said:
FYI, i did this this weekend on a 64gb SDXC card from Sandisk... doesn't get recognized.... don't know why... tried putting the music file at root level and in folder structure... no luck... I had done the same in my previous Yeti (which had a larger HD anyway...) with no issue at all...

I'll be curious to hear what other have to say...
Hmm,

That doesn't bode well as I was going to get a 128GB SD card from Amazon. Had no issues with Sandisk before. However found Kingston to be better. Is the card not being recognised at all or is it the files themselves? What format were your music files in?

#5 ·
I have a MY13 Octavia with a columbus, and did this with 64Gb cards and my PC
I have tried to work with 128Gb USB stick, but it did not read all of the directories
One of the thing to thonk of first is how to lay out your music A-Z card 1, N-Z card 2 as an example
It is possible to shuffle music within a directory or through the hold card, plus you can have playlists, bit I never really tried that.
You can also host videos onto the SD card(s) to be played when stationary.
I organised By Artist and then by Album, which worked for me
Good quality 64Gb cards should not be a problem, but the latest version of the Columbus or Amundsens may handle larger drives

#7 ·
I have my music SD card with folders of artist name, sub folder of album name, ripped from CD with Media player at 320 kbps mp3 and retrieving info from internet so it ads album art/cover.
If the unit supports it, best audio codec to rip to would be flac.

The system in the Octavia can be set to random play from all from the menu.

#10 ·
I only use FLAC and all my music is already on my laptop like that. I'm not sure I'll bother trying to put it on an SD card since I can plug a music player in or play direct from my phone via Google Music. Is there really a need?

#11 ·
I'm running a 256GB SD card in my Amundsen system and it works fine. The best format is a looseless format (for exampleFLAC) for sure. MP3 at 320 is in my opinion the best solution. While driving the car you cannot detect any difference between high res MP3 and flac both with standard and Canton system

#13 ·
Thanks for the advice. Will start converting my CD's to FLAC files in preparation.

Takes up more memory (about 3-4 times more from what I have tried) but quality should be much better.

#14 ·
I've started doing the same......got myself a 64GB SanDisk card, and am starting to convert loads of my old CDs to FLAC (using Media Monkey), ready for my Columbus system.

Before I spend hours on a wasted effort, I'd really appreciate if others could confirm that this format is / isn't working on Columbus systems.

#15 ·
Sprower said:
I've started doing the same......got myself a 64GB SanDisk card, and am starting to convert loads of my old CDs to FLAC (using Media Monkey), ready for my Columbus system.

Before I spend hours on a wasted effort, I'd really appreciate if others could confirm that this format is / isn't working on Columbus systems.
I'm so geeky about this I'd go to the dealer to try it on a test model :)
Please let us know - I'm preparing to start ripping my stuff too.

#16 ·
ilpolase said:
I'm running a 256GB SD card in my Amundsen system and it works fine. The best format is a looseless format (for exampleFLAC) for sure. MP3 at 320 is in my opinion the best solution. While driving the car you cannot detect any difference between high res MP3 and flac both with standard and Canton system
I think you're probably right about it being hard to notice a difference in the quality between them in the car. The only thing worth pointing out though, is that MP3 files degrade and jump over time and when you copy them over. FLAC files don't.

#17 ·
Hugh Fanism said:
ilpolase said:
I think you're probably right about it being hard to notice a difference in the quality between them in the car. The only thing worth pointing out though, is that MP3 files degrade and jump over time and when you copy them over. FLAC files don't.
Mp3 files degrade and jump? Can you explain, I thought digital music doesn't degrade unless it's a CD or something where the media becomes scratched.

#18 ·
$k0d1ak said:
Hugh Fanism said:
ilpolase said:
Mp3 files degrade and jump? Can you explain, I thought digital music doesn't degrade unless it's a CD or something where the media becomes scratched.
I used to think the same thing until I started getting issues. Some songs refusing to play, some jumping, and some small bits of songs just plain disappearing. This is on files 10+ years old. I read up on it and it seems there's a degradation issue if you believe them that seem to know what they're talking about. Many scoff at the idea and are of the belief that their music files are bullet proof.

Having had issues I'm inclined to believe that there are degradation issues and as I've got no wish to upload all my CD's again I redone them as FLAC. No problems many years on and difference in quality is notable with decent headphones.

Read up on it and make your own mind up

#19 ·
Is there really a point using FLAC in a car with all the road noise? I find that I can't hear a tangible difference between a high-quality 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC. I can definitely hear the difference between 192kbps, 256kbps and 320kbps however. Hugh - copying MP3 files through Windows Explorer etc. does not degrade the quality but when exporting lossy files with a program such as Audacity or Adobe Audition it will. Regarding "Some songs refusing to play, some jumping, and some small bits of songs just plain disappearing" it sounds like data degradation (ie. if stored on a hard drive it can lose magnetic orientation of the bits) which has happened to me before.

#20 ·
There is a limit in the number of files that the columbus can handle from a card, rather than there being a card size issue.

Got an error when it was sorting through a 128gb USB drive indicating as such

#21 ·
Does any body know the size of the hard drive in the Columbus infotainment centre I believe you can down load music from a usb straight into the hard drive this will free up a usb socket if possible The reason I ask is that my Bear is being built as we speek and although I downloaded the handbook I can find no sign of the size of the hard drive under the revelant pages
Regards Legacy2

#23 ·
erniem said:
There is a limit in the number of files that the columbus can handle from a card, rather than there being a card size issue.

Got an error when it was sorting through a 128gb USB drive indicating as such
Thanks for that info. Any Idea on the File number limit?

I guess that the conversion to FLAC files means that I can fit a lot less files on the SD card so may be okay. could get at least 3 times more MP3 files onto it.

I am currently up to about 70GB with about 80% of my CDs converted. Should therefore be able to fit the lot on a 128GB SD card, leaving the Columbus alone for other stuff. However If I am better to split into 2 x 64GB cards I would rather to do that up front. Price wise, not a lot in it. Often 2 x 64GB are cheaper than 1 x 128GB.

#24 ·
Ellebees said:
Thanks for that info. Any Idea on the File number limit?

I guess that the conversion to FLAC files means that I can fit a lot less files on the SD card so may be okay. could get at least 3 times more MP3 files onto it.

I am currently up to about 70GB with about 80% of my CDs converted. Should therefore be able to fit the lot on a 128GB SD card, leaving the Columbus alone for other stuff. However If I am better to split into 2 x 64GB cards I would rather to do that up front. Price wise, not a lot in it. Often 2 x 64GB are cheaper than 1 x 128GB.
I split my library across 2x64gb as I couldn't be bothered to find what the limit was

#25 ·
I've nearly filled a 64GB SD card using MediaMonkey to convert to FLAC format (compression level 4) and it'll be about 150 individual CDs in total.

#26 ·
Now that hat I have my bear can update. Put my music library, 350 cds on a 128 GB Toshiba SD card. Saved everything in flac format and used up about 103 GB. Works perfectly but think that I didn't save some properly as some cds have no song titles. Album artwork is also on screen.
Takes a bit of getting used to to access what you want to listen to but it is great to have the selection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.