Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hope you have all managed to stay safe.
I have a Kodiaq SEL TSI DSG bought last December. Due to COVID I have not made any journeys of any length until recently. Used the sat nav for a journey from Kings Lynn to Hull. Twice on the outward journey and once on the inward journey the directions instructed me to turn off what I knew to be the main road to the required destination. I followed the first instruction only to find that it eventually took me down a farmer's track so ignored the future directions taking me off the main route. Thinking it might have been due to satellite blind spots I thought nothing further.

Today I used the sat nav for another journey to a bowls match only 22 miles away in a village I did not know apart from that is was off the A148. I had only travelled about 6 miles when I was instructed to turn left into a road that led to a Training College.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or advise?

Not impressed with the Columbus system. On my previous Kodiaq the system periodically went off the route and showed me in the middle of fields some 5 or more miles from my actual location. After 9 visits to the dealer and 11 months later they eventually tracked the fault, requiring a new sat nav cable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Some users claim to have had good experiences with the Columbus built-in nav, but I've used it just twice, and it was disappointing regarding choice of routes and general quality of navigation. I always uses a smartphone app, either Google Nav or TomTom Go, the latest version of TT Go is now Android Auto compatible if that helps (and has been compatible with Apple CarPlay for some time)

G

·
I've never had any problems with the guidance using the Columbus.
What route guidance are you using, fastest, economical or shortest?
Have you selected to avoid certain routes. And before you start you can use demo mode and it shows you the route it has selected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kenny R,

Usually the fastest route. Demo shows route OK. another problem is when inputting post code it shows destination as "Off road" and gives a map reference number.

Just come from the dealer who thinks the map software is at fault. Booked in for 24th June for new download.

Will see then.

SinglePointSafety

Why should we have to use smartphone apps? In built system should deem that unnecessary considering the cost of the car. IMO that is copping out instead of complaining and trying to get Skoda to get a better system installed.

G

·
Lawnbowler13 said:
Kenny R,

Usually the fastest route. Demo shows route OK.
The only thing then could be dynamic route function is turned on and must be getting erroneous info from TMC forcing route change to avoid phantom traffic obstructions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
SinglePointSafety

Why should we have to use smartphone apps? In built system should deem that unnecessary considering the cost of the car. IMO that is copping out instead of complaining and trying to get Skoda to get a better system installed.
Totally agree: the car's sat nav should be better and I've found it adequate for an undemanding route eg where route choices are pretty unambiguous, but IMHO Skoda offer this software because it will suit the undemanding user and it's probably very cheap to install and hence box-ticks 'built-in navigation' with minimal cost to Skoda. My experience is that it will 'get you there' but via some 'unexpected' route choices.....And I really don't like the interface or general usability. For me it's an emergency fallback.

Interesting to see what eg Volvo are doing: installing Android Automotive, hence use Google Navigation in the same way as an Android phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have the skoda kodiaq L&k and have returned the car to two different dealers with exactly the same issues as above. My sat nav will start out fine and then shows my position as in the middle of the English channel or in a field. Have had all the software updated three times and over Christmas had a new head unit ordered from the manufacturer which was fitted. Upon collection at the start of the year I was apperantly in Germany outside a VW garage???? Reset the system and after a few minutes my location was spot on. However today I was once again repositioned in the middle of a field. Really not impressed for a car costing over £40,000 and supposed to be top of the range. Awaiting dealer call back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts