Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anybody else noticed marks on "chrome " window trims yet.
Purchased ex demonstrator 2.0 sel. Only washed once by me, previous washes by dealership.
White marks formed on trims. Spot polishing with expensive car cream polish does not shift it.
Is this a known issue?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I remember someone posting about this a while back. Try searching the forums would be my suggestion

G

·
Interesting to hear this.
Family member in France just got a recall for chrome trim defect on a 2016 Superb ...
I'll keep an eye on my K when if arrives ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took my K into dealership, service assistant took photos and said he would pass it onto service manager next week. He mentioned the recall on Superbs as well. I said, so it is a known issue then on chrome trim....he wouldnt commit himself and agreed that this could turn out to be a protracted dispute with claims assessor....let us hope not.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
I watched a video (think it was a carwow one) recently reviewing a Volvo XC90 which was considerably more expensive than a Kodiaq.

Same problem with the chrome trim round the windows.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Plodd said:
I watched a video (think it was a carwow one) recently reviewing a Volvo XC90 which was considerably more expensive than a Kodiaq.

Same problem with the chrome trim round the windows.
Hi there, i saw that one - think it was a new XC60. The guy had one that he'd got the 'audience' to spec. Will have to look out for this on the K when I get it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. Bought my July 17, Kodiaq 2 months ago and there has developed major discolouration on the aluminium style window trim. It is worst around both wing mirrors and front windows, and reduces the further back you go. Bickerton Skoda in Sheffield have today seen the damage and claim that it is from the TWO times I have taken it to a roadside (ex petrol station type) car wash! The front grill of the same looking material is unmarked. They require over £600 to replace!!! The markings appear consistent with weathering through driving as the damage is worst towards the front of the vehicle and the same pattern on both sides. It seems very unlikely to me the cleaning fluid alone can be responsible for the same pattern damage on both sides and nothing on the grill. I am approaching Skoda on Monday re this and would be grateful if any others with a similar issue could make themselves known to help force a warranty fix. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stephenjordi said:
Hi. Bought my July 17, Kodiaq 2 months ago and there has developed major discolouration on the aluminium style window trim. It is worst around both wing mirrors and front windows, and reduces the further back you go. Bickerton Skoda in Sheffield have today seen the damage and claim that it is from the TWO times I have taken it to a roadside (ex petrol station type) car wash! The front grill of the same looking material is unmarked. They require over £600 to replace!!! The markings appear consistent with weathering through driving as the damage is worst towards the front of the vehicle and the same pattern on both sides. It seems very unlikely to me the cleaning fluid alone can be responsible for the same pattern damage on both sides and nothing on the grill. I am approaching Skoda on Monday re this and would be grateful if any others with a similar issue could make themselves known to help force a warranty fix. Thanks.
Did you ever get this resolved? We have the same issue I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. It does appear to be the chemicals these car cleaning firms use. I've seen a number of Skoda's now with similar and worse markings than mine. They should dilute the chemical but often don't to make cleaning easier, and spray all over the car instead of only the lower half. I had both front window trims replaced for £200 and now keep away from such places. I don't know if Skoda or VAG use more vulnerable materials in their fake aluminium trims than other companies, but it's worth advising anyone you know about the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I have chrome window trims that have marked up.
I have a 2017 Kodiaq SEL 2.0 TSI. Trims along the sides now significantly marked. I will be contacting my dealer next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue on my Kodiaq front windows where it looks like white paint has splashed all around the wing mirrorsbut nothing on the grill surround, not been to dealership yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've now got the same problem after a wash at the weekend. The lower edge of the drivers window and rea offside window behind the driver.
Strange that it is only those two. Any one had any luck contacting Skoda? I seen to recall there being a problem with the Superb

·
Registered
53 Posts
shep said:
I've now got the same problem after a wash at the weekend. The lower edge of the drivers window and rea offside window behind the driver.
Strange that it is only those two. Any one had any luck contacting Skoda? I seen to recall there being a problem with the Superb
Anyone found a way of refurbing the trim to get it back to its shine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took mine to a body repair centre who machine polished the trim. It slightly faded some of the marks but overall made no difference. It seems to be a chemical reaction with the material used for the trims and is permanent. I've found no solution other than replacement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine have just done this too.

Seeing as they are currently ruined, I thought about perhaps wrapping them in a black or chrome vinyl instead.

Might be a suitable an more cost effective alternative?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just had a quote for replacement of all the window trims....

£1606.66 parts and labour for Chrome trim

£1520.57 parts and labour for Sportline trim

£495.00 labour costs for each as apparently the rear curved trim actually hold in the rear windows and they therefore require resealing afterwards.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
😧😬😤. As I posted earlier, from Bickerton Skoda in Sheffield, I paid £200 to replace both front windows as they were the worst. From memory that was parts only and they covered the labour as I made a pain of myself. I think your quotes are ridiculous and opportunistic. I seem to remember around £600 parts for all trim replaced and I never got as far as labour costs for that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts