Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

On the way to work this morning, a stone the size of a golf ball hit the Windscreen of my 2021 Kodiaq Sportline. Does anyone have any experience of AutoGlass and the quality of their glass and fitting standards? I think in an ideal world I would like OEM glass fitting by the dealer, but I don't know if that would be covered by my insurance?

Has anybody got any experience in this area, I've read the glass type can be very important if you have break assist (which I do), or lane keeping, (which I don't)

I would be interested to hear peoples views.

Cheers Kris

·
Registered
Skoda Kodiaq Sportline 2.0tdi 200 2022
71 Posts
Mine was replaced by Autoglass as well as recalibration for the sensors. No issuesat all other than the plastic clip on drivers side for holding parking tickets in place no longer sat tight against the glass - remedied by a tiny bit if foam to hold it in place!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shep,

Thanks for your post, it is good to hear your only issue is the plastic clip.

I've done some reading on some other forums, and it seems as my car is under 3 years old I might be able to get OEM glass.

I am underwritten by AXA and when ringing their number, was redirected to Autoglass. I told Autoglass that I wanted OEM glass, and they said they would need to speak to my insurer, and that they would give me a ring back within 48 hours, although the clock doesn't start ticking until 9am on Monday morning. If my request is approved they will book me a slot, if not they will let me know.

I have read that getting glass replaced by Autoglass can be tricky due to excuses of damaged glass, sick technicians, and broken down vans, but it would seem this is my insurer's preferred supplier, so if I don't use them the maximum claim cannot exceed £150. Hopefully, these are just a few disgruntled customers and my experience will be far more positive.

I will update this post again when I have more news, in the hope it helps someone else.

(y)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Not sure whether/if it helps, but my wife's C Class Merc had a windscreen replaced a couple of years ago by Autoglass and they turned up with an OEM windscreen, complete with the "DaimlerBenz" signature etched/printed on the bottom corner. All the front camera systems still worked fine after they finished. Cost £75 through the comprehensive insurance, but can't remember which insurance company it was. We've been with LV for the past few years on a multi-car deal, so expect it was them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Scratch1113,

It is good to know that you were happy with the service you received and that you got an OEM screen. It helps put my mind at rest.

I'm gutted the front of the car will need to be pulled to bits, and I am worried about the horror stories I have been reading online about broken trim, badly fitted leaky screens, etc. I'm aware most people are not going to take the time to post when a job goes well, but it does make me nervous. I just hope my screen replacement goes without a hitch.

I will update this post again when I hear back from the insurance, and once the screen has been replaced.

(y)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Autoglass, who's only purpose is to fit and repair your vehicles glass, will have vastly more experience than your dealer. The irony is it's likely that your dealer won't fit the windscreen themselves, rather they'll put the job out to professionals - which could well be Autoglass !

As for insurance - to keep costs down, insurers will have contracts with certain suppliers. It's the underwritter who's paying for the windscreen so it's up to them what glass they use. Do you know the difference between an OEM screen and a 3rd party screen is?

It's like like accident repairs - most insurers will tell you where to take your car to be repaired ( where' they've negotiated special rates ) or you can take it to a repairer of your choice - but read the small print - if you chose the latter option, you're likely to pay a higher excess.

·
Registered
2020 L&K 2L TSi
17 Posts
Had my screen replaced by Autoglass last summer, I too had read the the bad reviews and to be honest I was worried but the branch (Exeter) did a superb job on my L&K, and radar cameras etc worked perfectly and the ticket holder also, I asked the fitter if the were busy and he said on average they were replacing 50 screens a day in that branch, so hopefully they do know what there doing.If I read it right there’s a lifetime whilst in your ownership warranty by Autuglass on there work to give a bit more reassurance. I’d booked in direct on there website and just paid my insurance excess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the updates from everyone. It looks like I will have to follow your advice popsky.

Axa rejected my request for an OEM screen. Well, they have said I can pay £453 for the screen (which is the price I was quoted from Skoda) plus my £75 excess and then Autoglass will fit it. I had hoped if my request was rejected, I would be able to pay the extra over and above the cost of the Autoglass screen.

I was going to ring back and try and argue this, but the team I need to speak to are only open Monday to Friday 9 - 5pm which makes it difficult. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2020 L&K 2L TSi
17 Posts
IIRC it cost me £125 through my insurance for the replacement screen, I’m with Admiral. Good luck and hopefully you’ll have the same great result as me 👍

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, after weeks of being given the run around I've given up. Autoglass are coming to fit one of their screens. :(

My broker is Sainburys, claims are logged through a third party, Autoglass deals with the claim and Axa underwrites the policy. So nice and straightforward! :mad:

Sainsbury's say I must speak to the third party, the third party rightly says, they only log the calls and do so for a number of insurers so can't help and I must speak to Axa. (Interestingly, one of the Insurers the third party deal with must be Direct Line, as they transferred me to them by mistake on one occasion. After berating the Direct Line operator about the way my case was being handled, I was told they would be happy to provide me with a Skoda screen, at no cost to me, and were sorry for the issues I had received. I thought, at last, I've cracked it. ...only to find out they were not my insurers when I gave them my car registration ...but I digress)

Autoglass say, Axa has refused my claim, but that if I want to pay £472 and the £75 excess they will fit it. (The screen only costs £452 direct from Skoda.) When I ring Axa they say if I get an invoice from Skoda for a screen repair their engineers will consider paying all or some of the cost, however, they have no record of my claim and no claim reference number to link my supplied invoice to. They say I need to speak to Sainsbury's to get a claim reference number then they will help. Sainsbury pass me to the third party, who pass me to Autoglass. Autoglass say Axa have refused my request, and the only claim number they have is my car registration.

Axa are only open Monday to Friday 9 - 5 pm, so calling them is almost impossible, it takes over half an hour to get through, and generally, I get passed to 3 or 4 departments before ending back with Autoglass, or Sainsbury's. I am not easily deterred, but I have to admit defeat here.

I don't believe Autoglass ever contacted Axa, but I don't believe Axa can't create a case, just because it is only a Windscreen either. Maybe they are all telling the truth and the system is just not set up for such a scenario. o_O

Hopefully, the Autoglass glass will be as close to the original as I can't tell, and I will be happy with the quality of the work, as after nearly 2 months of trying to resolve this to my satisfaction I have 100% failed.

I will update this post again, once the new glass is fitted on Monday 25th April.

Thanks to everyone who has commented, and if you want original glass in your brand new car in the event you get a chip or a crack, I would not recommend Axa!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well, after weeks of being given the run around I've given up. Autoglass are coming to fit one of their screens. :(
Have you been categorically told by Autoglass that the screen they fit is not OEM? And if so, what is the difference? Is there something that the OEM glass has that the replacement doesn't? Bear in mind that Skoda almost certainly don't make the windscreen themselves, it will be manufactured by a third party and they may well supply the likes of Autoglass anyway.

Hopefully, the Autoglass glass will be as close to the original as I can't tell, and I will be happy with the quality of the work,
I guess this would be the best outcome. I doubt it will spoil the enjoyment of your car if truth be told. Much better to have a non-cracked, non-OEM windscreen than a cracked OEM one, which you've lived with for 2 months now!

Hope it all works out for you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Autoglass do not, and will not fit an OEM glass to my vehicle unless I pay over the retail price, plus my excess, thy have made that abundantly clear. From what I have read the Autoglass screen has to meet the minimum safety standards, but there appear to be no guarantees it will meet the standards for any of the other parts of a windscreen, which seem to be significantly more complicated with the myriad of sensors now included in them. I hope things like the black dots around the outside and the tint match, which was not the case on my Mk 2 Astra many moons ago.

As you say, Skoda do not produce the glass, so I may be lucky and get the same glass just without the Skoda branding. From my point of view the issue here is I bought a defacto 5-star insurance policy as I had a brand new car, and wanted to ensure should the worse happen it was repaired to the same standard as it came from the factory. It would seem the defacto rating does not take into account the windscreen cover provided, as there seems to be a disparity here from insurance company to insurance company.

I am also not unreasonable, if this had happened to our old Peugeot or my wife's 2013 Fiat 500 I would not be demanding OEM glass. But as the vehicle retails at nearly £40k, is only 15 months old and has covered less than 8,000 miles, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me, to have it repaired to the exact standard it was in prior to getting the chip.

What is even more frustrating is the hours I have spent on the phone, being transferred from department to department, and never getting a direct answer. I have emails from 2 different Axa employees all saying they will help with my case, and yet neither of them ever came back to me or acknowledged the quote I sent through from Skoda. If I am not entitled to an OEM screen, why not say so? Even the "Engineers" department at Axa said there is no reason I can't have an OEM screen if I am prepared to pay the extra, they just wanted a claim number, that no one (including them) seemed able to give me.

There you go, I should probably have put my complaint in writing and see where that got me, but I have run out of steam ...so rant over! 😁

·
Registered
2020 L&K 2L TSi
17 Posts
Just to reiterate my original post re the replacement Autoglass screen, my car L&K 11 months old 5000 miles when screen chipped, replaced with the screen from Autoglass I didn’t bother to enquire was it oem as thought I’d be knocking my head against a brick wall, so just booked it in and hey presto new screen, perfect can’t see the difference to the original all radars cameras sensors work perfectly, iirc lifetime guarantee from them while I own the vehicle. Advice from fitter don’t wash the car for 24hrs as some chemicals “could” harm the sealant. Cost to me was the £125 screen excess that Admiral state. I’m very happy 9months on from the repair. Hope this puts your mind at ease a little bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I had my screen replaced on Monday. My wife was at home and watched the fitter fit the windscreen and reports he was a consummate professional. I can't see any visible difference between the new screen and the old one apart from the make, model, and part numbers are different and I no longer have a Skoda logo.

If I'm honest, I would rather have the Skoda glass to keep the car original, but at least the job appears to have been done to a high standard, and the glass does not look visably different.

I have attached a couple of before and after pictures in case, this helps anybody else who is worried about 3rd party glass and is insured by AXA.

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle registration plate
Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle registration plate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts