Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is it possible to have the perpendicular lines inside the headlight illuminated without the headlights turned on as pictured here ?

In mine only the horizonal DRL is illuminated while the engine is on and the headlights off similar to this.

Is that a setting or an option only available in certain models / markets ? Mine is the top spec Australian model with all LED lights.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I. can only assume it is a refraction from the LEDs or
2. The picture is of a Czech car, perhaps they have a different set up. Anybody from CZ confirm this??
Mine are the same as yours.
Neat that they turn orange when indicating, I just wish they 'travelled' like the Audi ones do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a video, there are many more on youtube. Doesn't look like a reflection to me.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Phoenixfx Full marks! Quite right!
Lambert is wrong again! Too lazy to go down and check on the car.
Now I have come back in the dark, I made a point of checking out those strips and YES they do have an LED in each one. It looks as though it is just one LED inside some sort of fibre optic, instead of just shining at the cut end it appears to give off light through the whole length, but if you get down as though looking up the tubes it appears brighter.
Apologies for my previous erroneous information.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries, when I first saw them in photos and videos, way before I bought the car, I too thought they are reflections. But then after seeing a number of videos of demo cars at auto shows, I started thinking they might be LEDs. IMO they give a nice look to the car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Probably can be coded in via VCDS. If only Santa would get me one cause $360 is pretty expensive...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Could you not just use the sidelights.. I know the rear lights will be lit but you would be getting the effect you want at the front.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am pretty sure the strips are effectively coded as sidelights, so it should be easy to add the DRL function to the same adaptation channels if you understand how the MQB platform lights are set up

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Mine come on with the DRLs and stay on with the headlights when of course the DRLs go out.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I hadn't checked mine - I just went off of what others had said :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
H2UBS said:
Could you not just use the sidelights.. I know the rear lights will be lit but you would be getting the effect you want at the front.
Didn't know they are considered parking lights. Thanks for the tip.
But turning them as parking lights mean the rear lights also come on and I can't use the auto head light feature.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Colin Lambert said:
Mine come on with the DRLs and stay on with the headlights when of course the DRLs go out.
Really ? Surely we all have the same configuration ( LED's anyway) i.e.
DRL's only = Daylight driving
DRL's + Lashes = Sidelights on
DRL's + Lashes + Headlamps = Headlights on

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
You are quite right of course! :roll:
The mistake I made was that at 6ft+ I did not get right down to the headlight level.
If you look DOWN on the headlights from standing height the DRLs appear to be out when the headlights are on. Sorry!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Zach said:
Probably can be coded in via VCDS. If only Santa would get me one cause $360 is pretty expensive...
Yes VCDS can code these on, with the rear DRLs as well as with just the front DRLs

·
Registered
188 Posts
Rear DRLs? That would be illegal. (Stangely, DRLs are required to be at the front of a vehicle only.)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Why would having rear DRLs be illegal?

Is it illegal to drive with side lights or dip beam on in broad daylight?

How often do you see cars driving with just (front) DRLs on where really rears should be on as well? - tunnels, overcast days, misty visibility (not bad enough for fog lights to be required by law) etc

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
With my lights set to auto, they don't need much encouragement to come on and therefore the rear lights are also illuminated. So that covers the tunnels, overcast days, misty visibility (not bad enough for fog lights to be required by law) etc
and on the SE L the rear lights are LEDs so therefore equivalent to DRLs.
Volvos started using running lights back in the 70's and that included low beam headlights and rear (normal) lights.
It took a staggeringly stupid 40 years for DRLs to be compulsorily fitted and even more staggeringly stupid to allow owners (still) to turn them OFF!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
Why would having rear DRLs be illegal?

Is it illegal to drive with side lights or dip beam on in broad daylight?

How often do you see cars driving with just (front) DRLs on where really rears should be on as well? - tunnels, overcast days, misty visibility (not bad enough for fog lights to be required by law) etc
Why? I don't know. They just are, from what I've read.

It's important to be clear here, though, that I'm talking about DRLs. Volvo turning on all lamps when you start the engine, or the 1980s "dim dip" arrangements were not DRLs - which are legally required to be "functionally separate". That is, a sidelight, headlight or indicator cannot count as the sort of DRL which is nowadays a legal requirement.

Newish cars are wired such that the DRLs (which are white, and at the front) come on with the ignition. You are then free to turn on other lights (at back and front) if you wish. What comes on at the back is part of those "other" lights, not the DRLs.

This seems to me a legal mess, which encourages the sort of thing we've all seen, where people are comfortable that they've got their DRLs on at the front, and then don't bother to turn on anything which helps out those looking from the back.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Some vehicles come as std with rear lights on with (just) the front DRLs ... it is certainly not illegal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
Some vehicles come as std with rear lights on with (just) the front DRLs ... it is certainly not illegal.
I've been trying to find where I read that DRLs must only be at the front (but it's evading me, so far).

Which cars have rear lights that come on with just the DRLs?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts