Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, first post so be kind :)

I am trying to obtain a spare bulb kit for my Kodiaq (Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 4x4 SE L) but the dealer isn't being too helpful - a suggestion of buying a superb kit and it should kit didn't fill me with confidence.

also not sure what bulbs are used (LED / Halogen / model no / etc) so hard to search without actually opening up the bulbs in the car to see..

as this is a requirement for driving through some European countries I cant believe how difficult this is so any help would be appreciated

Neil Preston, West Midlands

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent thanks for the help - lets see when they get here :)

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 4x4 SE L

·
Registered
49 Posts
neiljpreston said:
Hi All, first post so be kind :)

I am trying to obtain a spare bulb kit for my Kodiaq (Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 4x4 SE L) but the dealer isn't being too helpful - a suggestion of buying a superb kit and it should kit didn't fill me with confidence.

also not sure what bulbs are used (LED / Halogen / model no / etc) so hard to search without actually opening up the bulbs in the car to see..

as this is a requirement for driving through some European countries I cant believe how difficult this is so any help would be appreciated

Firstly which countries will you be driving in?

It's a bit of a myth that you 'need' a spare bulb kit. For instance France recommend you carry spare bulb kit but is not a legal requirement.

Check the AA website, the have the do's & don'ts for all European counties.

As for Kodiaq spare bulbs, your SE L has LEDs all round. In past experience with cars with LED lights, these are not 'serviceable' by owners. Manufacturer manuals for my previous cars with some or all LEDs (Renault, Merc, & BMW) have always stated that issues with LED lights should be repaired by service centres.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gizmo68 said:
Welcome

Pheebs said:
By the looks of those they are purely fuses, but as Birksy correctly said your car will only have a couple of serviceable bulbs anyway (rear indicators IIRC?)
Gizmo68, I believe all lights are LED on the SE L.

S & SE are stated as having 'low functionality' rear LED & the SE L has 'high functioning' rear LED. When I asked dealer about the difference between the two, first I was told high functioning was 'chasing' indicators like new Audi's, new Mondeo. Then another salesman said high functionality was all lights are LED where as low functionality were just tail & brake light LED.

Was I given correct info?

·
Registered
314 Posts
On the Superb potential owners were also given duff info from the dealers.

High turned out to be the side lights were in tail light and the lights in the tailgate, low does not have sidelights in the tailgate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My curiosity solved. Although not impressed with the visibility of the brake lights, maybe the camera angle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think I may keep a generic bulb set in my car and claim ignorance if the French police ask :) - it seems like a real grey area if you cannot buy the bulb set and also the manufacturer states it should be done by a dealer...

on the RAC website: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/

It says:

Spare bulbs - by law you're also mandated to carry a spare bulb kit for your vehicle, as the French police deem it necessary to replace it there and then on the grounds of safety. For a few pounds to buy a kit, you could avoid unwanted attention and a fine.

and you guys have been great - many thanks for this, but you may regret it when I ask more stupid questions :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
neiljpreston said:
i think I may keep a generic bulb set in my car and claim ignorance if the French police ask :) - it seems like a real grey area if you cannot buy the bulb set and also the manufacturer states it should be done by a dealer...

on the RAC website: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/

It says:

Spare bulbs - by law you're also mandated to carry a spare bulb kit for your vehicle, as the French police deem it necessary to replace it there and then on the grounds of safety. For a few pounds to buy a kit, you could avoid unwanted attention and a fine.

and you guys have been great - many thanks for this, but you may regret it when I ask more stupid questions :)

Ask away, we've all asked stupid questions at some point!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts