Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kodiaq's brake pedal sits about an inch (maybe less) higher from the floor than the throttle.
I haven't driven that many other cars prior to this - and certainly never a Skoda - but none of the other cars [had/have] this.

Q: is this the case with all Kodiaqs?
Q: if so, don't we think this is a significant safety concern?

If you're accelerating and suddenly need to brake, then of course you have to *lift* your foot up to get to the pedal. If you're an experienced driver then your muscle memory will do this in milliseconds.

But if you're coasting towards a stop, such as a junction, and your foot is "resting/hovering" on the accelerator and then you suddenly need to brake, my muscle memory will tell me to just move my foot to the left. I'd hit the brake pedal on the side and then remind myself to lift off a little first.
This adds more time onto my reaction than I care for.

Besides, having the pedals on the same 'line' should be an easy ask. Not sure how the QC dept. let this slide.

Perhaps this is a problem on just my Kodiaq and I should have this adjusted.
Interested to hear other owner's thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Well I must admit I had never noticed that and I have certainly never had a problem with it. I had to go downstairs to have a look and you are quite right.
I certainly don't think it is a safety issue I suppose at my advanced years and having owned 73 cars I have got used to it.
I do, however, think it is common on most cars to have it higher than the accelerator, otherwise you may not get the required amount of travel. If you notice (as you have to press the break to start it ~ if it's DSG anyway~ You haven't given any details about yours) as the engine fires up the brake pedal sinks as the servo takes up. This is quite normal.
I wouldn't give it another thought. You will get used to it.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Thanks V much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I must admit that the first couple of times I drove our bear (collected Saturday 23rd Sept), so admittedly not that many times yet, I thought the brake pedel seemed much higher than the accelerator pedal.
However, having then switched back to my 2008 Honda CR-V I actually noted that is was about the same as the Kodiaq - strange.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had a poll here at my work, and the result is surprising (to me): most cars have an elevated brake pedal.

Looked at my 2006 Honda Civic again, and there is the notion of a slight elevation there too. I just never noticed.

I will have to bow to this result and Colin's assertion that most of his extensive fleet of cars have/had this too and that is indeed very common to have a raised brake pedal. And that I - with the K being only my 4th car ownership - have been extremely lucky in having had cars where this problem wasn't as prominent.

(they probably did and I just don't remember, more like)

·
Registered
421 Posts
iwarv said:
We had a poll here at my work, and the result is surprising (to me): most cars have an elevated brake pedal.

Looked at my 2006 Honda Civic again, and there is the notion of a slight elevation there too. I just never noticed.

I will have to bow to this result and Colin's assertion that most of his extensive fleet of cars have/had this too and that is indeed very common to have a raised brake pedal. And that I - with the K being only my 4th car ownership - have been extremely lucky in having had cars where this problem wasn't as prominent.

(they probably did and I just don't remember, more like)
I think it's been higher than the clutch and gas in every car I've owned. I don't think it's a problem or a design flaw, quite the opposite. If you're ever in any doubt on exactly where the pedal is all you have to do is nudge your foot to the left and you'll feel it rather than go past it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
This is the case with all cars. It's a safety feature so you don't accidentally accelerate when braking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.