Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a boot mounted rack and a method of fitting it to a Kodiaq with a electrically opening boot? Had a Thule rack for my Superb that was great, but you had to open the boot a tad to fit it, which i don't know if you can do on the Kodiaq with electric boot?

Should have had specified the retractable tow bar when ordering, but all the excitement got the better of me!

Any help gratefully received!

PS Please don't suggest roof rack as I don't trust them!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I dont the answer... but Im thinking the electric boot system is probably not designed to withstand a bikes weight on it.
Maybe it is, but I'd try to confirm it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
What about an aftermarket towbar?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have just ordered one of these - https://www.rameder.eu/bike-carrier-f-lli-menabo-logic-3-136158-37164-1.html

It's the only one I could find that was recommended for the Kodiaq. I do have concerns about the electric tailgate operation, but I'm assuming that the sensors will be intelligent enough to figure out when the load is too heavy to open the tailgate and will instruct the motor accordingly. Note that you can get the same bike carrier from Amazon (I checked the specification and they are identical) -

Menabo 927828 LOGIC III Rear Bicycle Carrier for 3 Bikes by Menabo Menabo 927828 LOGIC III Rear Bicycle Carrier for 3 Bikes
by Menabo
Link: http://amzn.eu/0GYUJMq

I'll let you know if it works - if not, It'll go straight back to Amazon.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've got Bosal Traveller 3 compact cycle carrier which I used for the first time yesterday. The quality is excellent, and far cheaper than the Thule Easyfold XT 3. It is a bit heavy (as expected) but straightforward to use. Folds away neatly in the supplied bag. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
130 Posts
bigboss said:
I've got Bosal Traveller 3 compact cycle carrier which I used for the first time yesterday. The quality is excellent, and far cheaper than the Thule Easyfold XT 3. It is a bit heavy (as expected) but straightforward to use. Folds away neatly in the supplied bag. Highly recommended!
That looks really smart!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I successfully assembled (with a lot of cursing), fitted, and used my new boot mounted bike rack. It took 3 mountain bikes without any hassle, although it's a two man job to put it on the car, as multiple head bruises and a scratched boot lid will confirm.

I even accidentally opened the boot while it was fitted, which luckily had no ill effects ( bikes weren't on it at the time)

I'd recommend liberal use of duct tape to cover any areas where it makes contact to avoid scratching, though.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Has anyone come across a Skoda bike rack that mounts on the towbar (like a rebadged Thule or similar)?
I have a credit to spend on Skoda accessories and would like to use it on a decent bike carrier. Must be a Skoda dealer available part.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow Shep, looks great. Can you tell me where you bought it, e.g dealer or do you know if any dealer can get hold of one? I take it that it tilts out too?
Also was it expensive

·
Registered
53 Posts
Stevie C said:
Wow Shep, looks great. Can you tell me where you bought it, e.g dealer or do you know if any dealer can get hold of one? I take it that it tilts out too?
Also was it expensive
Mine came from Wings Skoda in Peterborough. It was part of a package with roof bars but I think it was in the region of £270. Pricey but easy to fit, locks on the bar, bikes are easy to load and secure and yes it tilts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Silver1011 - yes, seen it but no prices in brochure.

Shep, thanks for the info. I dropped into my dealer at Gloucester yesterday. Quoted me £461 inc vat!!!
Think I'll spend my credit on other stuff and get Bosul Traveller 2 (on web for £280).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, in the same conundrum as some of you in trying to find a rear mounted boot 3 bike carrier. Electric tailgate on my Kodiaq. Mine was a demo so no factory fitted tow bar from Skoda as wasn't ordered new. My local dealer who I do business with for work quoted at cost price around £1550 with a 3 bike holder like pictured. Taking the more cost effective route for rear mounted boot one now. Does the Saris Bones 3 work or any Thule if it fits an estate style boot surely this is the same ? Maybe wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking at the Menabo it sits really high, can it be adjusted height wise ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just looking on Saris.com, put in the Kodiaq, it shows a picture of the Superbones 3 bike carrier mounted on the car. Looks a lot lower than manebo and adjusts to the boots contours. Could be another options for some of you not going down the tow bar mounted option. Link: https://www.saris.com/product/superbones3 can find on eBay and Amazon I believe.

·
Registered
945 Posts
dommer2000 said:
Well, I successfully assembled (with a lot of cursing), fitted, and used my new boot mounted bike rack. It took 3 mountain bikes without any hassle, although it's a two man job to put it on the car, as multiple head bruises and a scratched boot lid will confirm.

I even accidentally opened the boot while it was fitted, which luckily had no ill effects ( bikes weren't on it at the time)

I'd recommend liberal use of duct tape to cover any areas where it makes contact to avoid scratching, though.

IMG_1986.JPG
Out of the two shown this looks more "challenging" if not precarious. I have always stayed away from this type of fitment primarily due to potential damage to body work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts