Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to get a bike carrier for my Kodiaq. It has the retractable towbar. I want something simple and compact, and currently have zeroed in to 2 choices: Thule Velocompact 927 and Thule Easyfold XT3.

Any experience of these? Will I need any towbar adapter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
I use an old version of the Thule Xpress and it's great. Setup in 1m including bike, no tools required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
bigboss said:
I'm planning to get a bike carrier for my Kodiaq. It has the retractable towbar. I want something simple and compact, and currently have zeroed in to 2 choices: Thule Velocompact 927 and Thule Easyfold XT3.

Any experience of these? Will I need any towbar adapter?
Not really answering your question, but I am looking at those 2 racks, but the 2-bike versions (rather than the 3 bike versions). For me, it is extremely rare that i need to carry more than 2 bikes. When the kids start riding, I'll put theirs on the roof (I have a sidearm roof-mounted rack that works with any size bike).

The easyfold looks like the better rack. It is heavier duty, and would be easier to attach to the tow ball (do it while it is folded vertically), it folds up and stores better. IIRC, the velocompact (925) is 103cm long (a few cm too long to fit across the boot), so might not quite fit in the boot. The 927 would probably be the same length, but defintely wider, so might be harder to fit in. If you want to put it in the boot, the easy fold might be the way to go. HOwever, the velocompact might fit in the boot lengthways if the 2nd row seats were slid forward slightly.

having said all this, i am getting the velocompact 925, mainly because it is MUCH cheaper than the easyfold here. it is also a bit lighter, and i don't have heavy bikes (that the easyfold would accomodate better).

i have never used a tow ball mounted rack before. dunno why you'd need an adapter. do towballs come in different sizes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I guess it comes down to the intended use (bicycle transportation duh) in terms of driven distance and stability. I have been using a noname version quite similar to the Thule Xpress for some time now (10 years) and our needs have been for the occasional bicycle pickup at school when flat-tyre-syndrome occurs. So therefore almost only children's bicycles and for very short runs, but very recommendable for that. If you need to transport bicycles for adults and over longer distances, I would probably also go for something else.
Another thing to take into consideration could be legislation, as we here in Denmark must have visible number plates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sclyde2 said:
bigboss said:
I'm planning to get a bike carrier for my Kodiaq. It has the retractable towbar. I want something simple and compact, and currently have zeroed in to 2 choices: Thule Velocompact 927 and Thule Easyfold XT3.

Any experience of these? Will I need any towbar adapter?
Not really answering your question, but I am looking at those 2 racks, but the 2-bike versions (rather than the 3 bike versions). For me, it is extremely rare that i need to carry more than 2 bikes. When the kids start riding, I'll put theirs on the roof (I have a sidearm roof-mounted rack that works with any size bike).

The easyfold looks like the better rack. It is heavier duty, and would be easier to attach to the tow ball (do it while it is folded vertically), it folds up and stores better. IIRC, the velocompact (925) is 103cm long (a few cm too long to fit across the boot), so might not quite fit in the boot. The 927 would probably be the same length, but defintely wider, so might be harder to fit in. If you want to put it in the boot, the easy fold might be the way to go. HOwever, the velocompact might fit in the boot lengthways if the 2nd row seats were slid forward slightly.

having said all this, i am getting the velocompact 925, mainly because it is MUCH cheaper than the easyfold here. it is also a bit lighter, and i don't have heavy bikes (that the easyfold would accomodate better).

i have never used a tow ball mounted rack before. dunno why you'd need an adapter. do towballs come in different sizes?
Thanks, that's really useful. The two advantages of the Velocompact I can see are:

1) Cheaper.

2) Option to attach an adapter for an extra bike.

The main advantage of Easyfold XT is its compactness. I'm thinking of a situation where I will need to put the rack in the boot....can't think of any. Never used a bike rack before, so don't know.

I got confused reading some Q & As on PF Jones website, but it looks like no adapter will be needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$k0d1ak said:
I use an old version of the Thule Xpress and it's great. Setup in 1m including bike, no tools required.
Thanks, I looked at this too, but my wife's bike is a step through so this won't be suitable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kthuno said:
I guess it comes down to the intended use (bicycle transportation duh) in terms of driven distance and stability. I have been using a noname version quite similar to the Thule Xpress for some time now (10 years) and our needs have been for the occasional bicycle pickup at school when flat-tyre-syndrome occurs. So therefore almost only children's bicycles and for very short runs, but very recommendable for that. If you need to transport bicycles for adults and over longer distances, I would probably also go for something else.
Another thing to take into consideration could be legislation, as we here in Denmark must have visible number plates.
Thanks, yes even in the UK the number plate need to be visible. Both these options include a number plate too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Hi Big boss,

I purchased the Thule 927, fourth bike adapter and a 13 to 7 pin adapter. I have no experience with any other hitch mounted bike carriers but have to say i find it Brillant.

I have used it on our summer holidays to France and drove 1700k over there with it attached and it was rock solid - and some of the roads were in very poor condition. I found the fold down function very useful for accessing the boot.

As I said I can't speak for any other carrier but this one gets a big thumbs up from me. I'll try and attach a photo.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deise17 said:
Hi Big boss,

I purchased the Thule 927, fourth bike adapter and a 13 to 7 pin adapter. I have no experience with any other hitch mounted bike carriers but have to say i find it Brillant.

I have used it on our summer holidays to France and drove 1700k over there with it attached and it was rock solid - and some of the roads were in very poor condition. I found the fold down function very useful for accessing the boot.

As I said I can't speak for any other carrier but this one gets a big thumbs up from me. I'll try and attach a photo.
Thanks!! That's very useful!

Does anyone have experience with Bosal bike carriers? Significantly cheaper than Thule, was looking at this one:

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/bosal-compact-premium-folding-cycle-carrier-070-443.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Sorry for late reply ex Santa Fe. I ordered through bike tart. U.K. Web site but delivered for free to Ireland. I had a small issue with one of the parts on the carrier and they sent a replacement. Very good to deal with. Also found them to be the cheapest price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Deise17 said:
Hi Big boss,

I purchased the Thule 927, fourth bike adapter and a 13 to 7 pin adapter......
My Edition (with Skoda fitted towbar) came with a 13 to 7 pin adapter (under the boot floor with the space saver wheel and other stuff!) so you shouldn't need to buy an adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone have any experience of Bosal? They're keenly priced when compared to Thule and look good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Hi sprower

I also had a factory fitted tow bar fitted but no 13 to 7 pin adapter included.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've ordered Bosal Compact Traveller 3 Foldable Cycle Bike Carrier. Will let you know my impressions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Deise17 said:
Hi sprower

I also had a factory fitted tow bar fitted but no 13 to 7 pin adapter included.
Ask your dealer for one as it's pretty standard to have one supplied when buying a new car with a factory fitted tow bar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Yea I'll say it to the dealer when I'm in for my service. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Used Bosal Traveller 3 compact cycle carrier for the first time yesterday. The quality is excellent, and far cheaper than the Thule Easyfold XT 3. It is a bit heavy (as expected) but straightforward to use. Folds away neatly in the supplied bag. Highly recommended!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Not the most elegant solution granted, but I needed a 2" hitch receiver for my Thule bike rack. The cost was much less - I paid $750 (NZ) from a specialist local supplier as against $2000 quote for the VAG hidden towbar. Also if I had gone down the VAG original route I would have had to replace my bike rack, and the Thule XT is about $1500 (NZ). Does me.
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Grille Plant
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Deise17 said:
Hi Big boss,

I purchased the Thule 927, fourth bike adapter and a 13 to 7 pin adapter. I have no experience with any other hitch mounted bike carriers but have to say i find it Brillant.

I have used it on our summer holidays to France and drove 1700k over there with it attached and it was rock solid - and some of the roads were in very poor condition. I found the fold down function very useful for accessing the boot.

As I said I can't speak for any other carrier but this one gets a big thumbs up from me. I'll try and attach a photo.
Hi Deise,

Sorry for dragging up an old post, but I have a query regarding your towbar mounted cycle carrier.
I have a Witter ZX504, 4 bike, ball mounted carrier, which I sued on my Santa Fe, on an after market (TowTrust?) towbar. The spec for that towbar allowed a 150kg nose weight, but never mentioned anything specific about cycle carriers.
I've just (yesterday) picked up a Kodiaq with a factory towbar, which I was assured would be ok for my cycle carrier to be mounted, but notice in the manual that the towbar is limited to 75kg and 70cm in length for mounted accessories such as cycle carriers. Furthermore, it says that that weight decreases as the centre of gravity moves away from the ball.

Does your towbar have similar limitations, according to the manual, and how long is your cycle carrier.

I wonder if fitting an aftermarket detachable bar would have the same limitations.

Thanks

Rich
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top