Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am eagerly awaiting my new car (currently sitting at Sheerness) and was contemplating getting some bespoke sun blinds for it (after evaluating the experience of the factory tint and rear blinds) and was wondering if anyone had purchased any for their car.

I have been looking at:
https://laitovo.eu/en/
They do blinds for the rear screen and all the side windows, including front side windows too - useful to put in place when parked on a sunny day.

Also http://www.carshades.co.uk/

I'm wondering how effective the heated front screen is at keeping out the sun too as it has a metal foil layer embedded in it.

Would be interested in others experiences with the basic car offering and any aftermarket options added (I realise that September isn't the best time of year for this kind of analysis!)

Thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've certainly found the Kodiaq to be significantly cooler than my previous Mercedes E class under the sun. I've got heated windscreen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Think I'm gonna take a punt on the Car Shades ones at £86.99.

Can't report back until car arrives though!

·
Registered
422 Posts
cheekybrotchen said:
Think I'm gonna take a punt on the Car Shades ones at £86.99.

Can't report back until car arrives though!
Can you let me know how you get on with them?
I am taking the whole family on hols in August and I think these would be very welcome, but only if they don't pop off all the time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
iwarv said:
Can you let me know how you get on with them?
I am taking the whole family on hols in August and I think these would be very welcome, but only if they don't pop off all the time.
I've had a set of the carshades ones on for more than a month and they've stayed in place fine. They could fit the back window a little better - there's a gap at the top of the window but it's not visible from outside, just to me in the rear view mirror. Still a shame it's not a one-piece for the back window.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've had the carshades ones in since November and I can't fault them. They're easy to install and to remove and they've never fell off. I'd echo that the rear one would be better in one piece. That said, I removed it a few weeks ago as the visibility isn't great through it. Since it's in two it lives under the rear two seats easily and is there to whack up if I end up rolling around with the parcel shelf off.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Either there must have been a run on these (maybe even as a result of this thread?) or carshades.co.uk keep minimal stock.
In put my order in on Wednesday and it's been stuck on "awaiting stock" since.

I am a patient man.

·
Registered
421 Posts
iwarv said:
Either there must have been a run on these (maybe even as a result of this thread?) or carshades.co.uk keep minimal stock.
In put my order in on Wednesday and it's been stuck on "awaiting stock" since.

I am a patient man.
I think they make them to order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have my car shades ones sitting waiting on my Kodiaq but got a set for my Ford Focus and they are excellent! Perfect fit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
cheekybrotchen said:
I have my car shades ones sitting waiting on my Kodiaq
My order is now completed!
Should probably get these tomorrow.
You might get yours too soon, I should think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh no I meant I have my Kodiaq shades just don't have the Kodiaq yet to put them in :lol: they arrived about 3 days after ordering which was fast!

The ones I have fitted in my Focus are perfect fit and well worth the price especially on days like today where it hit 28°C in Scotland!

·
Registered
422 Posts
So I got mine today and I've put one of the door ones on.

Perhaps I am doing it wrong (¹) but the clip near the seat (i.e. furthest away from the door hinge) I think should recede further back away from the seal. The clip bunches the window seal up a bit.
No such problem with the same clip on the hinge side of the door.

(¹) I did watch this informational video, but in this demo the metal rim that hides behind the seal and on which to affix the clip seems to edge towards the window. On the K this rim is almost flush with the window, but is seemingly not the same width on either side of the window.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had 3 sets of these and like them a lot. 2 x e-class estate of various vintages and 1 x a-class. I have sometimes needed to pay around with clip positions to get a good fit though.

They hadn't done a set for one shape of e-class I had before, so in return for coming in to the factory nr. Mansfield and letting them measure up, I got the set for free. They've also sent spare clips out to me for free before when I needed some.

I'll probably order the roller blinds in the kodiaq, but still get a set of these for the other windows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
iwarv, I have the same issue as you. The clips nearest the outside of the door don't fit at all well - either the metal is too rounded to latch on to properly or the clip not long enough to extend across the seal. It looks like it could permanently deform the rubber, unlike the one on the other side.

I think we should get back to the manufacturer on this.

·
Registered
422 Posts
petrolbluehead said:
I think we should get back to the manufacturer on this.
Unless someone beats me to it, what I'll do in the weekend is to take a picture of the situation, then take the clip out and measure the various dimensions with the vernier caliper and draw up the clip in Sketchup (should really be SolidWorks but I am not trained on that).

Then make a recommendation on the correct dimensions for a variant of clip M011 and feed this back to Car Shades.

From @IdiotGap's anekdote I get the impression that these guys are quite approachable.
But at the same time I get the impression that this clip is supplied for many other marques and models, and I am not convinced they'd be open to the idea of making another clip just for the Skoda Kodiaq.

We'll see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
iwarv - that would be great. You sound better qualified than me with a caliper/CAD program... In the meantime I have emailed the manufacturers to say there is a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE: The nice people at Carshades (Steven) are sending me some alternative clips to try. Will keep you and them posted.

·
Registered
422 Posts
See if you agree with my findings.
First a photo that shows the problem.

This is the M11 clip fitted to the door furthest from the door hinges. It clearly shows the seal getting bunched up.
By my estimation, the clip needs to recede by a further 5 mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is a model of the existing clip.
It shows that the clip bends inward almost immediate (< 1mm) where it clips the metal door rim.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
In the model below, I have made that U-bend 5 mm wider.
This should allow for the seal to fit completely or at least in such a manner that it is unlikely to cause significant permanent deformation.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts