1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live just under polar circle so water/cabin heaters are pretty common here.
Technology used Is either Webasto(www.webasto.com) or Eberspärcher(http://www.eberspacher.com) but VAG is usually using Webasto Thermotop 5kw heaters.
In 99% of cases Webastos can be installed afterwards too but integration to car electronics are usually better when done in factory. Here aftermarket installation costs about 2k€ roughly 1,7k£
Waterheater integrated to car electronics is THE comfort equipment in cold climate. It can bring summer to car in 20mins and sooner.

There is a rumour in the market now that Kodiaq software will be updated later this year so that the heater can be controlled with Skoda remote control phone app. Which would make it similar as webasto thermo call.

Few drawbacks are consumption it´s about 1L diesel or fuel per hour.
More significant is heavy battery draw if heater is not used rationally.
Especially in cold weather car battery´s capacity to take current back is significantly lowered and rule of thumb is that if you heat 30min you drive 30min after that allowing battery to recharge. If that is constantly neglected heater will empty car battery and you´ll be walking.

At least I wrote much, hopefully was able to tell something too :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
To celebrate the start of my build week i was reviewing the configurator again; second guessing my colour and option choices. I noticed the UK Configurator now bullets:

Electric auxiliary air heater
This wasn't listed at my time of ordering. Can I expect my car to have it and what is it? Is it the same 'auxiliary heating' on Page 112 in the Owners Manual?

Is there anything else changed I should know of? Alloys and servicing plan aside?

Cheers,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Generally modern diesel engines generate significantly less residual heat, its related to combustion process and different energy content of fuel types. e.g.
So in order to warm diesel cars cabin in reasonable time, additional heaters are usually required. Especially in cold conditions.
Here heaters are as standard in every diesel car.

Gasoline engines does not have such worries. I would imagine that 2.0tsi will heat up pretty fast to 90c running temp and then there´s lot of extra heat available for e.g cabin heating.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I hate to get your hopes up but this is nothing like the Webasto heater available in colder climates, it is simply an electric heater to warm the cabin up slightly quicker on the TDi cars (the TSi do not get it as they are not thermally efficient... they warm up quickly)

On the Superb when the heated screen is specced you also lose the electric heater.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I orderd Winter kit to my car, it includes auxillary heater, heated front window and some gizmos. Heated front seats are standard issue here, thank god for that. Heated rear seats were something like 200-250£ as option.

Im 100% sure aux heater sold as option here is webasto or similar fuel heater. Even in ordering phase system gives a notification that "fuel heater will replace electronic PDC element in diesel cars."

It´s easy to confirm when ordering.. Fuel heater will cost you almost 1000£ electric one for free or at least much cheaper.

But if worst case scenario hits, Webasto can be installed afterwards to almost any car, Kodiaq too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts