Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Automatic door locking

22K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  James Sportline 2020 
#1 ·
Any knowledge out there about automatic door locking? I believe the default setting is that doors and boot locks and stays locked (to anyone on the outside) once the vehicle reaches 15 kph (see handbook, pages 53/54) and that this can be turned off. This seems to be a good security feature, however, what would happen if the vehicle was involved in a crash and the occupants were incapacitated. Would the doors remain locked from the outside such that any potential rescuers (ordinary members of the public who wouldn't have appropriate tools) would be unable to open the car in order to help? Thanks.

#2 ·
Apparently in the event of a prang the doors unlock automatically. (I think as long as an airbag has been triggered, but not sure about this bit)

#4 ·
I believe that in the UK market "Crew Protection Assist" was an optional extra at £200 for which you also had to have the "Rear Side Airbags" at an additional £300.

#6 ·
So.......... If Crew Protection Assist is not present, would you turn off automatic locking (bearing in mind that although you can lock all doors from the inside whenever it's deemed necessary, in practise you'd probably forget)?

#7 ·
I will check with my dealer (or you can check with yours!) but as all doors lock at 15mph I am sure they unlock if the airbags are deployed, regardless of whether Crew Protection is not present.
UPDATE

Crew Protection is currently on the configurator only as a £200 extra on every model. NOT standard on any.

From the owners manual. ( We all have an owners manual don't we? :roll:

#9 ·
To re-quote part of my original post....... Would the doors remain locked from the outside such that any potential rescuers (ordinary members of the public who wouldn't have appropriate tools) would be unable to open the car in order to help? Also, we have encountered an accident where the occupant was incapacitated but the airbag hadn't gone off. Luckily the car did not have automatic locking in this case and my daughter and I were able to assist the person in question until the emergency services arrived. And yes - I did RTFM :)

#10 ·
Marinfullsuss said:
To re-quote part of my original post....... Would the doors remain locked from the outside such that any potential rescuers (ordinary members of the public who wouldn't have appropriate tools) would be unable to open the car in order to help? Also, we have encountered an accident where the occupant was incapacitated but the airbag hadn't gone off. Luckily the car did not have automatic locking in this case and my daughter and I were able to assist the person in question until the emergency services arrived. And yes - I did RTFM :)
The doors will be unlocked from the outside.

#11 ·
I don't mean to be rude, but did you read the extract from the owners manual that I put above?
"When an airbag is deployed the following events occur.
Hazard lights switched on
ALL DOORS ARE UNLOCKED"

etc etc etc!

#12 ·
Who are you answering there, Colin?

Marin's most recently talking about a crash where the airbags haven't gone off. Zach says unlocked, you seem to say locked.

I'm confused.

#14 ·
If you are that worried about the doors being locked, then just turn off auto locking in the settings.

#15 ·
turn off auto locking in the settings
That may not be good advice. The auto locking was invented with a clear purpose, which is to protect the occupants. Think: car-jacking, road rage.
Defeating this auto-locking should only be done if you and your other half are comfortable with doing so.

#16 ·
iwarv said:
turn off auto locking in the settings
That may not be good advice. The auto locking was invented with a clear purpose, which is to protect the occupants. Think: car-jacking, road rage.
Defeating this auto-locking should only be done if you and your other half are comfortable with doing so.
Note I said if you are that worried about it then turn off auto locking in the settings and not just ' turn off auto locking in the settings.
I have driven many years ago in America where autolocking was a feature on cars and that was probably before airbags became the norm. I can't say I particularly like it myself and on my last two cars which have had it as a feature I have turned it off. Yes there are other reasons as you say Think: car-jacking, road rage. If I am worried about an area in which I am travelling then I have an option to lock the car doors internally at the press of a button.

#17 ·
Actually, I think autolocking was made a requirement (in the USA) not because of any need to stop unwanted people entering, but because occupants survived crashes better if the doors were closed. An open door would considerably reduce the strength of the protective "cage" surrounding the passengers. The fear was that the violent motions, as a car lost control and crashed, might fling around the heavier parts of the lock mechanisms inside the door sufficiently to open the door. Locking it would stop that.

I don't know, but I suspect that better modern lock mechanisms and autoUNlock upon having a significant accident have made the original idea obsolete. I think I'll disable my autolock ...

#18 ·
DaveM said:
Who are you answering there, Colin?

Marin's most recently talking about a crash where the airbags haven't gone off. Zach says unlocked, you seem to say locked.

I'm confused.
Dave,
I was answering Marin.
I thought I had made it clear by posting a pic of the handbook relevant bit, that the airbags have to go off before doors unlock, fuel turned off etc .
He only mentioned the red highlighted bit below. I had already posted the words from the handbook which are self explanatory.
Sorry for any confusion.
Marinsulfuss said.
Also, we have encountered an accident where the occupant was incapacitated but the airbag hadn't gone off. Luckily the car did not have automatic locking in this case and my daughter and I were able to assist the person in question until the emergency services arrived. And yes - I did RTFM :)

#19 ·
:geek:

Can anyone give a bit of insight into this?

Will my Kodiaq automatically lock itself if I close the door, walk away but forgot to lock the car.

I know that if I unlock the car, don't open any doors, it will automatically lock itself after 30seconds. But if I unlock the car, open and then shut the door (any door), the car remains unlock until I press the fob key or touch the handle.

It's a Key less entry set up.

Help please!

2020 Kodiaq Sportline.

Many thanks
James

#20 ·
You are correct, you have to touch the door handle or lock with the key. It won't lock on its own when you walk away. This was one of the questions we had. Also, door locking and unlocking from the app has to be specially set up by a dealer. It is not enabled as standard. We decided against it in the end for added security. Enjoy the new motor!

#21 ·
I believe that this can actually be set up using something like a Carista OBD. I used it to clear a fault that I'd inadvertently created (don't ask) and I think auto locking when you walk away is an option but I've not tried it. If you're really keen to have it, then I'll see if I can check tonight at some point.

#24 ·
I can confirm that this is an option if you have Carista. 😊

It wouldn't work for me as I have kids, because as soon as you're outside the car with your key in your pocket and shut the door it locks the car. Since I have kids and always have to help them out it would be more trouble than it's worth. If it was just you and a passenger or something then it might be a worthwhile thing to activate as it would mean you can just shut the door and walk away.

#26 ·
There's no delay at all. I tried switching off and getting straight out versus turning off and waiting a minute and then getting out and there was no difference. As soon as the door closes it locks regardless with no option of a delay unfortunately.

The only thing I didn't try was what would happen if a passenger door was open when you closed your door. The modification on the app is worded along the lines of 'Lock when key is outside vehicle and it's closed', so I don't know if it would then wait for all doors to be closed before locking. If I get a chance I'll maybe give that a spin and see so I can let you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.