Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like there are a few caveats for connecting via Carplay but, essentially, I haven't been successful so far.

The Skoda REALLY wants to connect via USB (for app access I guess) but this hasn't worked so far. I've removed the phone from BLuetooth settings and Media connection in case they conflict but still no joy...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
While your iPhone is unplugged, go to Settings>General>CarPlay. If the Kodiaq is there forget it. Plug the iPhone into the car and it should come up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FIXED: it needs a bona fide Apple cable. Despite the fact that 3rd party lightning cables have Apple's DRM hardware in them anyway (or the phone refuses to use them) CarPlay looks like it will ONLY work with an Apple cable - at least in this experience.

That is such a pain in the arse! (Cos Apple cables cost a fortune and appear to be engineered to disintegrate!)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. CarPlay is a distinctly underwhelming experience? The Skodiaq's built in media / voice command (got 'hey siri' in a pinch, anyway) / satnav / phone functionality is simply superior in every way. And I can use my black, fray-resistant third party cable :)

REALLY unlikely to be using CarPlay. Ever.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh! Now it works with both cables... ffs Apple: make up your mind! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Never had a problem with the Belkin cables I use. I used my 15cm one in the Kodiaq and worked every time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use it daily for the traffic updates and texting which I find is great. It didn't like my cheapy iPhone cable though!

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Any Apple MFI certified cable should work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What Zach said - any MFI chipped cable should work. Someone posted a link to a 15 cm cable on Amazon (manufacturer called TOWAYS) which reportedly was working AND was angled to allow for box lid to close. I went ahead and bought the cable but I need the car to test it with :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
kthuno said:
. I went ahead and bought the cable but I need the car to test it with :)
Ditto! Will test when I get the car, although its in the UK and paperwork all signed. Hopefully delivery within next two weeks but am away for most of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Might be late for some but I bought the Toways cable it fits neatly under the sliding cover and connects the phone to CarPlay without any problems. A minor gripe might be that the cable is left handed and the phone tray is on the right but it bends around fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Toways cable comes in right and left orientations...I have one but no car yet so hoping that I chose the right version of the cable! Looks like good quality kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys!

When I bought the Kodiaq Style 2.0 Diesel, I also had issues with connection with Apple Carplay, but I managed to connect it successfully after some research and help of a friend so I woul like to help the others to get it working with your Kodiaq, because it's great to use it.

What you will need:
- iphone 7 Plus with iOS 10.3 or latter (my is up to date 11.1.0)
- original iphone cable
- mobile data enabled (LTE or similar) to connect to internet

How I did to make it work?
1. Turned on the car contact, not the engine
2. On the iPhone , I went under "settings" > "general" > "CarPlay" (the icon can also appear after first connection with the car) > enter CarPlay settings where the image of the steering wheel is shown and if offered choose the "USB only connection"
3. First, click the "App" on the infotainment dashboard (beside screen) to get connection displayed (Android Car, Apple CarPlay) and then connect the Apple USB cable in the usb port in the car as you normally woul connect the phone wit the PC.
4. When display in Kodiaq shows you that is connecting or searching for Apple Carplay connection, go back on phone under setting > carplay and hold down the voice control button on the steering wheel for longer time so the Kodiaq system and phone are starting pairing process and since the process involves some files to be transfered silently to Kodiaq and iPhone (not noticable) - a rotating ring on the iphone top bar (near signal) indicates that something is running in the background so that is why you need to keep mobile data on the whole time. This worked for me!
5. After arround 10 minutes, my iPhone under Carplay setting in phone displayed name "SKODA", so I turned off the car contact and turned it back ON, pressed "APP" touch button on Kodiaq, plugged in Apple USB cable and it showed me the Apple Carplay was found and it changed to Apple Carplay by itself.
6. It wise to restart the iPhone after it shows in Carplay and Kodiaq screen that Apple Carplay became available, so the data on phone is refreshed.

**Make sure you have mobile data ON the whole time and that you use original USB cable for the first time!
***Make sure tha during the process of pairing them, you also control the Carplay settings on you iPhone until it shows "SKODA" written and recognise the car

I know the process takes some time and is not like it would work out of the box, but I personally can say that it works like charm once the Kodiaq and iPhone find each other when some data is transfered over like it would update something on the iPhone during the process.

I really hope that anyone of you can get it to work with those steps. Also before doing so check here which iPhones are supported for this Carplay - https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/.
Here are also official supported features by each Skoda system for Carplay if it helps - http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/experience/product-features/pages/connectivity.aspx (scroll down to the end of the page and choose "Compatible Phones".
Instructions from Apple - https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT205634 and here in the skoda book - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1260581/Skoda-Kodiaq.html?page=182#manual

Hope this helps many of you to use the awesome Carplay on awesome Kodiaq car.
Have fun :)

Greeting from Slovenia ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've left Carplay connected since the Italy trip earlier in the year. There is some mileage in being able to enter the destination in your phone, before you've left the house, and have the car automatically pop that up when you climb in. The traffic awareness is much more granular and up to date than the bulit in satnav and it has offered to reasonably intelligently route me around tailbacks so... its saved me time. The music interface is also easier for the kids to use when they sit in the front so... I never got around to turning carplay off. The little advantages over the (albeit much nicer to look at) native interface is enough to tilt me to keeping Carplay enabled.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
I found it to be a simple act of plugging the phone in...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did it's before ebay lead and was connected in less than a minute however when I clicked on maps it was super slow to react like wise with music and some other apps so possibly was still working away . I wanted it for maps cause the SD card was missing for he sat nav and awaiting one to arrive

·
Registered
16 Posts
The cable seems to make a difference. Strangely I found my aftermarket cable wouldn't work, but after setting carplay up with a genuine apple cable, the aftermarket cable worked just fine!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never had a problem with a USB connection using a cheapo cable and either an iPhone 6 or 8. What I'd really like is to be able to use CarPlay over Bluetooth. Both the car and the phone imply this can be done but I've had no joy with it. Has anyone had any luck?

·
Registered
256 Posts
AFAIK, wireless CarPlay is only available in BMWs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts