Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
But that could change with arrival of the new iPhone8/7s because those new models will support wireless charging and Apple + Mercedes showed a working prototype on an E model.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jacro said:
Can I phone be connected wirelessly to allow car play?
To be clear:

A cable is needed for CarPlay (which lets you use the Kodiaq's touchscreen as an extension of your phone, with specific CarPlay optimised apps)

Wirelessly:

The car supports wireless media streaming and phonecall connectivity through Bluetooth, has a perfectly good built in satnav (best one I've used so far) and access to Google Earth and a range of online services via hotspot or data SIM, none of which needs a cable connection between the car and phone.

Honestly? I was not impressed by CarPlay and switched it off as the car's built in functionality was far nicer to use. I only turned it on again recently for my European tour, where Apple Maps realtime traffic data saved us time by navigating us around congestion over the course of thousands of miles of unfamiliar roads. And I plug my phone in anyway just to charge it. The NFC charger is a bit useless on my old 6+ ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've tested both in car vs CarPlay today and thought:

1 - the cars built in sat nav is better
2 - the cars built in telephone support is better
3 - CarPlay supports text messages which the built in doesn't

·
Registered
421 Posts
meduk1 said:
I've tested both in car vs CarPlay today and thought:

1 - the cars built in sat nav is better
2 - the cars built in telephone support is better
I really don't want my car reading/displaying messages. My Mrs doesn't need to know what I'm talking about with friends.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It doesn't automatically.
You have to ask it via voice or screen touch, then it will read out any unread texts you get.
You can also get it to read out older ones if desired.

·
Registered
289 Posts
meduk1 said:
The built in Columbus system can read and compose text messages.

·
Registered
49 Posts
At the moment only the new BMW 5 series support wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I added a wireless charging thingy to my i phone 6 which plugs into lightning port so can't plug in for CarPlay

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jacro said:
I added a wireless charging thingy to my i phone 6 which plugs into lightning port so can't plug in for CarPlay
You're not missing much. The car's native console functionality is better IMO.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I agree. Apple Carplay is slow and limited. I am very impressed with integrated navi. Today I was again queued on the highway and traffic info (red bordered line) was very accurate showing where the queue started and where it ended. Tomtom Live rules :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I notice that now I have updated to ios11 I get pictures of my contacts on the Columbus just connected by Bluetooth. I didn't until I updated. Skodas compatability tool doesn't yet cover iOS 11 but it does say contact pictures is a function not supported on earlier versions of iOS. Shame receive /Send text messages isn't supported through Columbus on iOS. I know it works when on car play but like others I prefer the cars own interface. Unless .....anyone knows how to get text working???

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Can you not use "Hey Siri"?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Zach said:
Can you not use "Hey Siri"?
I can use Siri but only through Apple Car Play.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Kodiaq RS - Brilliant Silver
1,043 Posts
Can you use the car's navigation while using Carplay for music or nah?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts