Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Often in the wet. Not helped by the ridiculous throttle lag and poor state of the roads.

Had an Audi before this with 1.2TSI lump and DSG, but wheelspin was rare. I guess the sheer weight of the Kodiaq being thrown backwards lifts the front enough to spin the wheels. No sign of driver aids kicking in either. I'm getting better at controlling it but some situations just need that quick getaway.

I'm also running the standard tyres, but I have never needed to buy winter tyres before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swindiaq said:
Often in the wet. Not helped by the ridiculous throttle lag and poor state of the roads.

Had an Audi before this with 1.2TSI lump and DSG, but wheelspin was rare. I guess the sheer weight of the Kodiaq being thrown backwards lifts the front enough to spin the wheels. No sign of driver aids kicking in either. I'm getting better at controlling it but some situations just need that quick getaway.

I'm also running the standard tyres, but I have never needed to buy winter tyres before.
only on inclines or when flat too ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have had the same experience with wheel spin, but at no point has the ESP had to kick in. Mainly on inclines or flat surfaces with relative high amounts of wheel lock; this is with the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes in both wet and dry. The review you linked to stated they thought they were good tyres. To be polite, I think they're very mediocre.

I've now swapped to my winters and have not had any wheelspin in wet, cold or dry conditions since.

My conclusion is down to the OEM Pirelli tyres. I can't vouch for the OEM Hankooks for 19" rims, but I would have preferred those if I had the choice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm on the original 19" Hankooks and, though I've not yet met a wide range of conditions, I soon noticed that on the Kodiaq the traction control DOES soon kick in to control wheelspin, in places where on the previous Superb Greenline it didn't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MoominPapa said:
I have had the same experience with wheel spin, but at no point has the ESP had to kick in. Mainly on inclines or flat surfaces with relative high amounts of wheel lock; this is with the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes in both wet and dry. The review you linked to stated they thought they were good tyres. To be polite, I think they're very mediocre.

I've now swapped to my winters and have not had any wheelspin in wet, cold or dry conditions since.

My conclusion is down to the OEM Pirelli tyres. I can't vouch for the OEM Hankooks for 19" rims, but I would have preferred those if I had the choice.
i'm guessing the wheelspin isn't bad enough to make you regret not getting the 4x4 ? you'd still go for your FWD, in hindsight ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes mine is mainly on inclines or wer/dirty flats. I'm running the OEM Hankooks.

Not enough of an issue for me to get 4WD but the places I drive have no need for it either. It's a personal choice.

·
Registered
289 Posts
chrisluciofg said:
i'm guessing the wheelspin isn't bad enough to make you regret not getting the 4x4 ? you'd still go for your FWD, in hindsight ?
Every person will have different requirements. I didn't go with AWD as I'd rather spend the extra on winter tyres, and still come up with a saving. I don't want the weight penalty when sensible driving and the right tyres will do me and my family.

Put it this way: on 17" winters, I've managed a 15 mile rural journey with average speed of 29mph and 51mpg. I don't think the 1.4tsi AWD would be able to get numbers like that.

No one iota of regret. FWD was what I wanted all along.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Swindiaq said:

A few of us have fitted this https://www.racechip.com/throttle-tuning/xlr.html
Or Diesel tuning's equivalent.
Sorts out the throttle lag problem. if you go to 'Race+' you take off like a scalded cat. Completely transforms the throttle. See the thread regarding it.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I often get inside wheel spin when turning out of junctions, especially in the wet.
If you really boot it you can get wheel spin on flat dry roads. Never has the ESP kicked in.
19" Triglavs with standard Hankooks

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Nope.
I live in Poole and the last time we had a serious snowfall was 1988!! We have our own micro~climate.
I have also given up going to Steam rallies and 'off~road parking' type country shows. So no need to tow or grovel my way out of a muddy field with 2 tons of vintage tractor and stationary engines on a 4 wheel trailer!
My two Discos, Shogun Sport, long and short wb Landies and Mitsubishi PHEV did stirling work in that respect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts