Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the Android auto automatically connects the phone to the hands free kit or do you need to connect it with Bluetooth also??

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry slightly off topic but at least for Apple car play it needs cable connection.
Wireless car play will come soon but omg that's gonna drain battery so quick you'll end up using the cable to charge at same time.
I'd say Android isn't too different from this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry now. Just to clarify. When you connect the phone via cable to Android auto does it also require a Bluetooth connection to take calls etc

·
Registered
617 Posts
Connects via cable. Check this video:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Dozz said:
Sorry now. Just to clarify. When you connect the phone via cable to Android auto does it also require a Bluetooth connection to take calls etc
No.

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I just connected my android via blue tooth for phone calls only. My Music is via SD card.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replys.
Next question if you don't mind????
If you can connect an android phone via cable can you have a second phone connected via Bluetooth at the same time?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think, from what I understand, the cable connection forces a Bluetooth for that phone too.
I believe some systems can accept 2 phones, but not certain.

Me personally, I only want phone connected (although the text to voice function would be handy) so won't bother with AA.
I would have thought they could have made AA work over BT by now though ? connecting a cable is so yesterday :lol:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Savage said:
I would have thought they could have made AA work over BT by now though ? connecting a cable is so yesterday :lol:
Android Auto over wireless is in the works, and we're likely to hear something in this regard at the Google I/O in May. I suspect, the amount of data needed to transmit will need WiFi; Bluetooth may not be able to handle such large data. Which basically means that it is very likely current car units won't be compatible with Android Auto over wireless.

·
Registered
617 Posts
WeeCobi said:
As the Kodiaq has wi-fi; would this not make it capable of managing an improved AA transmission?
No idea. Will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Android Auto has NOW gone wireless and does indeed use wi-fi to make this happen. The Kodiaq also has wireless charging, so that should all be good for phones with support.

In terms of the wi-fi the Kodiaq has, is that coming from the SIM card only? I'm not sure if that is going to work.

The very new aftermarket head units will be, from what I understand, broadcasting a local wi-fi signal for the phone to pickup and Android Auto to use. Would the current system be able to do that? If so, they could make it happen with a FW update most likely.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Genebaby said:
Android Auto has NOW gone wireless and does indeed use wi-fi to make this happen. The Kodiaq also has wireless charging, so that should all be good for phones with support.

In terms of the wi-fi the Kodiaq has, is that coming from the SIM card only? I'm not sure if that is going to work.

The very new aftermarket head units will be, from what I understand, broadcasting a local wi-fi signal for the phone to pickup and Android Auto to use. Would the current system be able to do that? If so, they could make it happen with a FW update most likely.
Android Auto wireless is only going to work with a handful of phones, being the Google pixels and the last couple of nexus phones. Even then, you need a compatible head unit which nobodies Kodiaq has.

·
Registered
119 Posts
bigboss said:
Dozz said:
No.
Hang on. When you're running Android Auto using the USB cable connection (as you have to) you still need the phone connected via Bluetooth in order to access the phone audio via Android Auto on the head unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So far waste money and useless
Needs cable but then need disconnect to make changes on phone then connect again pointless and useless
Next generation phones will have no cables so why we obtain it work blue tooth or wireless

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Kodiaq has its own wifi so it may just need a firmware update for it to work with AA wireless.

For me plugging in a USB cable is no hardship, means the phone gets charged too

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rusty said:
So far waste money and useless
Needs cable but then need disconnect to make changes on phone then connect again pointless and useless
Next generation phones will have no cables so why we obtain it work blue tooth or wireless
My experience is different, you just plug in the phone and select the menu option on the car. Why do you need to disconnect the phone?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts